Home & Garden

Do I need to leave the ac on while on vacation in the summer?

• Last Updated:
  • Jun 18th, 2016 4:03 pm
Tags:
None
[OP]
Deal Fanatic
Oct 1, 2004
6206 posts
620 upvotes
Toronto

Do I need to leave the ac on while on vacation in the summer?

I will be gone for 8 weeks, no food or plants in the house, do I need to leave the ac on to maintain a certain temperature? Would the hot temperature damage the hardwood floors?

Can my water tank be left on vacation mode or even unplugged ?
16 replies
Deal Fanatic
Apr 20, 2011
7747 posts
2706 upvotes
ON
I would turn it on, but on a very high setpoint so it only comes on when temp is critical (not likely) - close all the blinds and curtains and it will probably not be needed at all.
Deal Fanatic
Oct 26, 2002
6249 posts
667 upvotes
BC
I would think lots of houses dont even have air conditioning. I would not leave mine on.
That's my 2cents worth
Oct 8, 2010
191 posts
44 upvotes
There is absolutely no reason to leave your A/C on if you're not using it. When you get back, it might take a couple days to remove all the moisture. Having a Nest thermostat is good if you're gone for the winter because it will insure that temperatures don't drop below critical numbers on away mode. As for the water, leave it on vacation mode. Once you come back, it will only take 1-3 hours depending on the age of the heater to heat up again.

[removed]
Deal Addict
Feb 25, 2015
1120 posts
489 upvotes
York Region
If your basement doesn't get too humid in the summer, leave the AC Off.
Deal Addict
Mar 31, 2005
3352 posts
295 upvotes
Calgary
bargainhunter99 wrote: There is absolutely no reason to leave your A/C on if you're not using it. When you get back, it might take a couple days to remove all the moisture. Having a Nest thermostat is good if you're gone for the winter because it will insure that temperatures don't drop below critical numbers on away mode. As for the water, leave it on vacation mode. Once you come back, it will only take 1-3 hours depending on the age of the heater to heat up again.

[removed]
AC and Dehumidifiers aren't the same thing. It's not like a cool house is automatically a dry house compared to a warm one.
Deal Addict
Nov 2, 2005
4265 posts
1509 upvotes
WFH
In our climate A/C is a luxury, not a necessity.
Banned
Jun 8, 2008
3977 posts
1415 upvotes
Toronto
We don't have AC and our house has been standing for 100 years, hardwood floors are just fine :)
Deal Fanatic
Sep 16, 2004
9600 posts
1854 upvotes
Toronto
Unlike winter where pipes may freeze and burst due to freezing, I don't think you need worry too much in summer.

As one poster said, keep your blinds and drapes closed and you should be OK.

When you get back, you may need to run the AC quite bit to cool the house if it has built up any heat which I doubt it will, much.

Would help to air out the entire house first by opening windows and doors a bit and running extraction fans in the bathrooms etc, before starting up the A/C.
Deal Addict
Sep 2, 2004
2364 posts
684 upvotes
TotallyKiller wrote: AC and Dehumidifiers aren't the same thing. It's not like a cool house is automatically a dry house compared to a warm one.
AC also takes the humidity out of the air
matdwyer wrote: My understanding is that policies require that someone check the house at certain intervals as well (weekly?) - check with your broker
during the heating season. The concern there is frozen pipes causing water damage. No issues not having A/C on...if you think about it some people don't even have an air conditioner.
Deal Fanatic
Aug 16, 2007
6812 posts
578 upvotes
Capt. wrote: during the heating season. The concern there is frozen pipes causing water damage. No issues not having A/C on...if you think about it some people don't even have an air conditioner.
I hear you and that does sound like it may be the case, but my parents house in florida (which I don't think even has a furnace) requires them to have someone in it once a week to check, so they have to pay a guy to go to keep it valid (aka if they found a problem that was there longer than a week they could have had their claims denied). Now obviously that could be different here, but it is certainly something I'd check into with my broker
Deal Fanatic
Oct 16, 2008
8112 posts
2771 upvotes
Maple
Close all the curtains, set A/C on at 28C on thermostat.
Deal Guru
Jan 11, 2004
10020 posts
878 upvotes
Toronto
if your gone 8 weeks, empty your fridge, turn it off, or unplug it, turn your hot water tank down to 0, or even see if you can turn it off.

turn water off of your entire house, unplug all clocks, tvs, that use standby power, turn off the power to your stove, unplug your garage door opener power, make sure no one trys to open it.

leave some cracks of windows in the upstairs bathrooms only, just incase rain sprys in.

leave some packs of baking soda to soak up %50 of the moister around your house.
"When operating the viewfinder diopter control with your eye to the viewfinder, care should be taken not to put your finger in your eye accidentally."
Deal Expert
Dec 12, 2009
20424 posts
8461 upvotes
Toronto
TotallyKiller wrote: AC and Dehumidifiers aren't the same thing. It's not like a cool house is automatically a dry house compared to a warm one.
They sure are. In fact, most of the energy from an AC is expended in condensing water vapor.
Deal Fanatic
Apr 20, 2011
7747 posts
2706 upvotes
ON
Yup.
Only difference between a dehumidifier and an AC unit is one has the hot and cold sides inside the room and the other separates to have only the cold side in your room and have the hot side out of the house to get rid of the heat there.
Both operate on the same principle, just different layout.