Home & Garden

Do I need a permit to put up one of these freestanding carport things?

• Last Updated:
  • May 25th, 2020 2:54 pm
9 replies
Deal Guru
Sep 1, 2005
11182 posts
6175 upvotes
Markham
I'm not an authority but here's my two cents.

If it's anchored it becomes a structure and then there are permit requiements

If it's not anchored its a hazard as wind could take it and damage property. You can put it up temporarily but it can't stay there long before a neighbor complains and then you'll have to take it down.
We're all bozos on the bus until we find a way to express ourselves...

Failure is always an option...just not the preferred one!
Deal Addict
Jan 19, 2011
2892 posts
1123 upvotes
and here is my two dollars worth.

Permit not required, if in doubt, just check your city website for a comprehensive list of what requires a permit, and what does not.

just google "City of toronto building permit" and the info you need will come right up
"The truth is incontrovertible, malice may attack it, ignorance may deride it, but in the end; there it is."
Just a guy who dabbles in lots of stuff learning along the way. I do have opinions, and readily share them!
Deal Addict
May 23, 2009
2625 posts
1105 upvotes
Mississauga
Its tricky to classify that so better to call the city of Toronto to confirm.

Call it a carport and you need a permit. Call it a tent or temporary structure less than 650 sq ft and you dont need a permit but while bylaw dictates that a tent can be setup in the front yard it may not encroach 8ft or 50% of the required minimum building setback. Most residential houses are already built on the minimum front setback to the road. I also cant find any info on how long you can have it up.

In Mississauga when classified as as tent or temporary structure you cannot have it installed for more than 14 consecutive days or more than 28 days in any calendar year.
Deal Expert
Feb 11, 2007
15122 posts
16105 upvotes
Oakville
Most temporary carport structures are banned in bylaws, that would refer to the cheaper tent style units.
So you'd need to look up your local bylaws to see if a permit is required since this looks like a permanent structure.
Deal Expert
Feb 7, 2017
15095 posts
12180 upvotes
Eastern Ontario
Honestly ...
Pretty ugly
Prob ok if you live in the boonies
Not ok if you live anywhere urban or suburban
There will definitely be bylaws about such things

Living in TO

Not 100% sure WHY you’d even want one
It’s gonna be an expensive, useless, and ugly item added to your driveway / yard
Deal Addict
May 23, 2009
2625 posts
1105 upvotes
Mississauga
PointsHubby wrote: Honestly ...
Pretty ugly
Prob ok if you live in the boonies
Not ok if you live anywhere urban or suburban
There will definitely be bylaws about such things

Living in TO

Not 100% sure WHY you’d even want one
It’s gonna be an expensive, useless, and ugly item added to your driveway / yard
Maybe to avoid bird poop or OP is originally from a Montreal suburb.

A few of my neighbors are now using waterproof car covers. Cars are stuck at home on driveways and birds have been popping a lot this spring. A Q5 owner a few doors down has resorted to washing his ride every other day.

I know in Montreal these car shelter things pop up everywhere just before winter starts. Bylaw allows the use of temporary car shelter in white during the winter season and there is actually a booming rental business.
Feb 25, 2004
847 posts
350 upvotes
Longueuil
I live in the south shore of Montreal and yes, the temporary winter shelters are very popular and do not require a permit here. There are specific dates however (in my city, they are allowed from October 15 to April 15). The fact that they are anchored or not is irrelevant. It is highly recommended to anchor them even though most people don't.

They don't look good but people don't have to remove snow and ice from their cars. I don't have one because my driveway is not wide enough but I would think about it otherwise because I hate removing ice from the car windows (I don't mind snow).
Try not! Do or do not, there is no try...
Deal Expert
Feb 7, 2017
15095 posts
12180 upvotes
Eastern Ontario
bubuski wrote:
Maybe to avoid bird poop or OP is originally from a Montreal suburb.

A few of my neighbors are now using waterproof car covers. Cars are stuck at home on driveways and birds have been popping a lot this spring. A Q5 owner a few doors down has resorted to washing his ride every other day.

I know in Montreal these car shelter things pop up everywhere just before winter starts. Bylaw allows the use of temporary car shelter in white during the winter season and there is actually a booming rental business.
Yes quite familiar with them ... as I used to live in Quebec

Doesn’t make them any less ugly

Or ... DANGEROUS
JEDI Force wrote: I live in the south shore of Montreal and yes, the temporary winter shelters are very popular and do not require a permit here. There are specific dates however (in my city, they are allowed from October 15 to April 15). The fact that they are anchored or not is irrelevant. It is highly recommended to anchor them even though most people don't.

They don't look good but people don't have to remove snow and ice from their cars. I don't have one because my driveway is not wide enough but I would think about it otherwise because I hate removing ice from the car windows (I don't mind snow).
Maybe after reading these articles ... you might have a change of heart and decide you can put up with the snow clearing
(I agree tho ... ice scraping / chipping ... on a MISERABLE Winters morn sucks big time )

https://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/ottawa/q ... w-1.690553
https://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/ottawa/m ... -1.5219564

In the first story, the victim was Krystal Arvisais, 21 ... a Cdn Olympic Athlete. Very very sad story for all involved
Feb 25, 2004
847 posts
350 upvotes
Longueuil
Yes it is very sad. These problems could be avoided with proper installation and maintenance however. There were talking about making the anchors mandatory but I don't think they went ahead with that project unfortunately.

Snow must always be removed, it is in the instructions of all manufacturers, you cannot leave snow on it. In my area people do remove snow, I have not seen people not doing it (but I see a bunch of shelters not anchored).
Try not! Do or do not, there is no try...

Thread Information

There is currently 1 user viewing this thread. (0 members and 1 guest)