Tags:
[OP]
Deal Fanatic
Jun 21, 2003
5740 posts
3086 upvotes
Stoney Creek, ON

Do I need to repair these damages?

It looks like our cottage vacation wasn’t too kind to our 2020 Nissan Rogue. We got hit by a stone on the way home and somehow damaged the rear bumper but have no idea how. I’m. It very savvy with cars and have no idea if these 2 things require a repair to prevent further damage.

1. Rear bumper has a nasty scratch in it. Obviously it’s a plastic bumper and not metal so I’m not concerned about rust, however is there any other potential further damage I should be concerned about if it is left untreated? What would be the proper plan of attack if I were to repair it?

2. Small chip to the windshield. On close inspection it seems to be very minor and just damage to the surface and not very deep. I’ve had bad chips that I have had filled in the past when it’s gone deeper in the glass on other glass but have no idea if a minor chip like this should be filled or not. Does one like this pose much risk to further damage if left unfilled?
Images
  • 5CAD32D8-C422-47AE-88F1-A19A47085D9C.jpeg
  • 4330D8A5-B526-42BB-BB93-02DA48ADBF8F.jpeg
6 replies
Deal Addict
Jan 1, 2013
2055 posts
1326 upvotes
Durham
I would fill that chip. I had one similar and though nothing of it and it eventually did spider web and spread.
Deal Expert
May 10, 2005
36399 posts
10652 upvotes
Ottawa
Your bumpers will get scratched a lot more than that so, don't stress about the first one :)
Glass, a small chip on the other hand can get worse. I would take it to a glass shop to have it filled (do it outside insurance, pay cash).
Dec 7, 2011
836 posts
627 upvotes
Toronto
ChicoQuente wrote: It looks like our cottage vacation wasn’t too kind to our 2020 Nissan Rogue. We got hit by a stone on the way home and somehow damaged the rear bumper but have no idea how. I’m. It very savvy with cars and have no idea if these 2 things require a repair to prevent further damage.

1. Rear bumper has a nasty scratch in it. Obviously it’s a plastic bumper and not metal so I’m not concerned about rust, however is there any other potential further damage I should be concerned about if it is left untreated? What would be the proper plan of attack if I were to repair it?

2. Small chip to the windshield. On close inspection it seems to be very minor and just damage to the surface and not very deep. I’ve had bad chips that I have had filled in the past when it’s gone deeper in the glass on other glass but have no idea if a minor chip like this should be filled or not. Does one like this pose much risk to further damage if left unfilled?
If that was a chip, for sure get it filled. However, from what I can tell from the picture, it's a pit. A pit is basically a small divot of missing glass minus the spider legs. You can fill it but the resin won't stick permanently because of the lack of spider legs. A chip on the other hand has tiny cracks around it.
[OP]
Deal Fanatic
Jun 21, 2003
5740 posts
3086 upvotes
Stoney Creek, ON
mer1ion wrote: If that was a chip, for sure get it filled. However, from what I can tell from the picture, it's a pit. A pit is basically a small divot of missing glass minus the spider legs. You can fill it but the resin won't stick permanently because of the lack of spider legs. A chip on the other hand has tiny cracks around it.
I must have used the wrong terminology but yes your description is accurate of that the damage actually appears to be.
Deal Addict
Oct 24, 2010
2540 posts
2488 upvotes
Ottawa
mer1ion wrote: If that was a chip, for sure get it filled. However, from what I can tell from the picture, it's a pit. A pit is basically a small divot of missing glass minus the spider legs. You can fill it but the resin won't stick permanently because of the lack of spider legs. A chip on the other hand has tiny cracks around it.
I agree. That looks like a pit and not deep enough to need to be filled. Basically, if it doesn't hit the interlayer between the two pains of glass, it probably doesn't need to be filled.

I disagree with @Pete_Coach on going outside of insurance if it needs to be filled and if you have glass coverage. If you have glass coverage, most insurance companies will cover the cost of the chip repair with no deductible and no increase to your premiums. It's a risk mitigation thing for them. If they pay a few bucks to repair your chip to prevent it from cracking the windshield, they avoid having to pay out a $1000 windshield replacement later. Ask them first, though, if a rock chip repair will impact your premiums.

That being said, I usually discourage people from paying for the glass coverage option, depending on how expensive your windshield is to replace. If you call around you should be able to find a place to fill a chip for around $20 (Speedy Auto Glass and those tents in Canadian Tire parking lots are a rip off), or replace a basic windshield (without a rain sensor, for example) for as low as $250. It usually doesn't make much sense to pay $50-$100/year for those prices, especially when the deductible is probably higher than the cost of replacing the windshield.

If the cost of coverage is low enough and you have expensive glass (a $1000 windshield or a sunroof, for example), it might make sense to get the glass coverage option, though. Ours costs us $13/year in Ottawa, and we have a sunroof that would cost $2k to replace, so I'm willing to pay the marginal extra premium for glass coverage. However, coverage for the same vehicle cost around $250/year in Calgary because they use pea gravel on their roads in winter (i.e. everyone gets chips and cracks come spring...); but, it only cost $250 to replace the windshield. We filled 2-3 cracks a year and replaced our windshield every 3 years when living there, but it was cheaper to pay out of pocket than to pay the premiums.
Deal Expert
May 10, 2005
36399 posts
10652 upvotes
Ottawa
Dynatos wrote: I agree. That looks like a pit and not deep enough to need to be filled. Basically, if it doesn't hit the interlayer between the two pains of glass, it probably doesn't need to be filled.

I disagree with @Pete_Coach on going outside of insurance if it needs to be filled and [b]if you have glass coverage. If you have glass coverage, most insurance companies will cover the cost of the chip repair with no deductible and no increase to your premiums.[/b] It's a risk mitigation thing for them. If they pay a few bucks to repair your chip to prevent it from cracking the windshield, they avoid having to pay out a $1000 windshield replacement later. Ask them first, though, if a rock chip repair will impact your premiums.

That being said, I usually discourage people from paying for the glass coverage option, depending on how expensive your windshield is to replace. If you call around you should be able to find a place to fill a chip for around $20 (Speedy Auto Glass and those tents in Canadian Tire parking lots are a rip off), or replace a basic windshield (without a rain sensor, for example) for as low as $250. It usually doesn't make much sense to pay $50-$100/year for those prices, especially when the deductible is probably higher than the cost of replacing the windshield.

The key here is not that the insurance company will not charge a deductible and not increase premiums, it is that you will have a claim on record.

I said not to go insurance route and pay for it because as you said, it can cost as little as $20 and no one except you knows.