• Oct 11th, 2020 10:37 pm
Tags:
Deal Addict
Dec 29, 2012
2647 posts
846 upvotes
GTA

Do I need to service my car?

I have only driven about 1000 kms since my last car service as I've been stuck at home since February. Do I still need to "service" my car? It's a 2018 model so would I lose my warranty coverage if I don't take it in? Not sure what needs to be done?
20 replies
Deal Addict
Mar 7, 2010
2849 posts
502 upvotes
Mississauga
Service if you reach the milage or 1 year pass the last service...
Still need to oil change if the milage not reach every year....
Deal Addict
Aug 6, 2017
1032 posts
1820 upvotes
Read the owner's manual to see what needs to be done. Service is usually based on mileage or time, whichever comes first.
Last edited by Kingsmen17 on Oct 10th, 2020 2:10 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Deal Expert
Mar 23, 2004
35606 posts
18999 upvotes
You need to stick to what the maintenance schedule says for your car, in order to maintain your warranty. Typically you have time & mileage points under "whichever comes first" so either the time expires or the mileage and then you need to do the service for that particular interval.

Some cars like GMs in particular (other brands as well) have "oil life monitors" which are relied upon to tell you when to change the oil. You only need to change the oil when it says to (not on some time or mileage limit), in order to fulfill your maintenance requirements and maintain your warranty coverage. However there may be things you still need to do on a time or mileage based interval, other than an oil change, so keep that in mind.
Deal Expert
Aug 22, 2011
41788 posts
30051 upvotes
Center of Universe
At minimum, one oil change a year, even if you don't hit the mileage.
I've had nearly $10K in warranty work on one of my vehicles and it only has 2 oil change service records in a span of 5yrs, with no other records of the recommend services.
Deal Expert
May 10, 2005
36997 posts
11419 upvotes
Ottawa
Some maintenance requirements are mileage or time, whichever comes first. As others have said, read your manual for the exact requirements.

Oh and yes, you need to do something. Having a vehicle basically sit and doing nothing for 6 or more months is not good for the mechanical systems.
“Those people who think they know everything are a great annoyance to those of us who do.”
Deal Guru
Jul 12, 2003
12399 posts
4935 upvotes
Toronto
My wife's SUV is at the exact same situation, last oil change was NOV 2019 and she only drove 2000km since then,

It is our second car at home and I drive mine when we go out together. Her car parked at home almost everyday since we WFH.
We just drive her car once a week or when we need a bigger car to carry stuff.

I will still go for the oil change in November and swap to winter tires.
Retired Forum Moderator February 2009 - June 2015
Deal Expert
May 10, 2005
36997 posts
11419 upvotes
Ottawa
MP3_SKY wrote: My wife's SUV is at the exact same situation, last oil change was NOV 2019 and she only drove 2000km since then,

It is our second car at home and I drive mine when we go out together. Her car parked at home almost everyday since we WFH.
We just drive her car once a week or when we need a bigger car to carry stuff.

I will still go for the oil change in November and swap to winter tires.
It is wise to change the oil. It can become acidic.
https://www.theglobeandmail.com/globe-d ... le4107205/
“Those people who think they know everything are a great annoyance to those of us who do.”
Deal Fanatic
Oct 13, 2008
8426 posts
4667 upvotes
Durham
Catnippy wrote: I have only driven about 1000 kms since my last car service as I've been stuck at home since February. Do I still need to "service" my car? It's a 2018 model so would I lose my warranty coverage if I don't take it in? Not sure what needs to be done?
It's ridiculously funny that people never refer to their manuals that are included with the car.

It's the first place to look ...
16'x11' Living Room 11' Cathedral Ceiling. Hisense 65Q8G. Denon AVR-S740H 7.2 setup. Jamo Classic 10 280W Towers - FR+FL; Polk S35 - Center; Klipsch R51M - RR+RL; Klipsch R14M - Dolby FHR+FHL; Polk HTS10 Subwoofer x2. Unlocked Android Boxes from Taiwan x2
Deal Addict
Apr 18, 2005
3799 posts
1991 upvotes
Mississauga
jdmfishingonly wrote: It's ridiculously funny that people never refer to their manuals that are included with the car.

It's the first place to look ...
The issue I have now is both my cars came with CD/DVD.. no printed manuals. So now it's even harder .. I liked it before actually with the printed book where it was easier to do quick lookup.
Deal Guru
Jul 12, 2003
12399 posts
4935 upvotes
Toronto
TLSRULZ wrote: The issue I have now is both my cars came with CD/DVD.. no printed manuals. So now it's even harder .. I liked it before actually with the printed book where it was easier to do quick lookup.
What yr is your car?
Deal Expert
May 10, 2005
36997 posts
11419 upvotes
Ottawa
TLSRULZ wrote: The issue I have now is both my cars came with CD/DVD.. no printed manuals. So now it's even harder .. I liked it before actually with the printed book where it was easier to do quick lookup.
Mine did too so I just made a copy of it on my laptop and tablet.
On the computer, it is easier to find something because you can do a word search instead of looking through pages :)
Deal Fanatic
Mar 1, 2005
6567 posts
4487 upvotes
Toronto
Pete_Coach wrote: Mine did too so I just made a copy of it on my laptop and tablet.
On the computer, it is easier to find something because you can do a word search instead of looking through pages :)
Isn't that what the index is for?

Unless it's the first hit or an uncommon word in the manual you're still going to have to go through and read random pages for context with the word find.
:arrowd: B/S/T Threads :arrowd:
[FS] N/A
[WTB] N/A

price error
Deal Expert
May 10, 2005
36997 posts
11419 upvotes
Ottawa
BeaverLiquor wrote: Isn't that what the index is for?

Unless it's the first hit or an uncommon word in the manual you're still going to have to go through and read random pages for context with the word find.
I was commenting on the statement that it was only on CD/DVD and "the printed book where it was easier to do quick lookup." and you can make a copy on desktop or tablet. :facepalm:
Deal Guru
Jul 12, 2003
12399 posts
4935 upvotes
Toronto
On my 2017 MB. The user manual comes in a big book and a DVD.

Either way. It is not hard to look up the service interval online or at dealer's or manufacture web site.
Deal Fanatic
Mar 1, 2005
6567 posts
4487 upvotes
Toronto
Pete_Coach wrote: I was commenting on the statement that it was only on CD/DVD and "the printed book where it was easier to do quick lookup." and you can make a copy on desktop or tablet. :facepalm:
Which is why I said unless it's an uncommon word or the first hit, you'll still have to go through pages and some reading with a word search, which doesn't make it easier than using the index of a hard copy.
:arrowd: B/S/T Threads :arrowd:
[FS] N/A
[WTB] N/A

price error
Deal Expert
May 10, 2005
36997 posts
11419 upvotes
Ottawa
BeaverLiquor wrote: Which is why I said unless it's an uncommon word or the first hit, you'll still have to go through pages and some reading with a word search, which doesn't make it easier than using the index of a hard copy.
yes...of course :rolleyes: :rolleyes:

Key point was that you can make a copy on your desktop or tablet. I am reasonably sure folks can use devices by now and have figured out how to search :rolleyes:
Deal Addict
May 18, 2002
4597 posts
1657 upvotes
Brampton
These days with cars sitting around more, the only things that come to mind outside of the usual owners manual stuff are brakes and battery. If you begin to notice slow starting or grabbing/grinding brakes, just go for a drive.
Going for a weekly drive is good for the car, and the driver.
INFORMATION: The requested thread does not exist.
Deal Addict
Apr 18, 2005
3799 posts
1991 upvotes
Mississauga
MP3_SKY wrote: What yr is your car?
2014 Eclass and 2016 odyssey.
And yes it's easy to search on the computer.. but when your in the garage and got all your tools out. Last thing I was to do is wash dirty hands and get the computer. I guess I should print a few key sheets... the MB you can search it in the car system... but then again dirty hands..

Thread Information

There is currently 1 user viewing this thread. (0 members and 1 guest)