Home & Garden

Do I own this part of my lawn or does the City own this?

• Last Updated:
  • May 20th, 2021 12:01 am
[OP]
Apr 16, 2021
16 posts
6 upvotes

Do I own this part of my lawn or does the City own this?

Hi everyone!

In the attached photo, the green lawn area I maintain (cut the grass, shovel the snow). I have oftened assumed I own this green part, but I often come out of my house and see a billboard already put on my lawn.
I'm in one of the more busier turns intersection of my little neighborhood and I notice the real estate agents love putting their free advertisement there and a few other spots around my neighborhood.
Sometimes this billboard is anchored into the grass, sometimes the agents even tie a rope right around the City's concrete light/pole.

Is this allowed ? What actions can I take?

Thanks
Capture.PNG
9 replies
Deal Addict
Sep 9, 2012
4742 posts
3958 upvotes
Oakville, ON
You don’t own it - it’s city property. In fact the city owns a few feet past the sidewalk too.

You should check the by-laws in your town/city to see what the city allows to be advertised on city property. From there then check what the setbacks from the road need to be for any signage. You may find one or both sets of rules don’t allow what’s going on in which case you can complain and they’ll send out by-law enforcement.
Deal Fanatic
Oct 16, 2008
8445 posts
3019 upvotes
Maple
City owns that piece. Corner houses have bill boards problem, it is normal. I would remove the boards that are not election related.
Deal Addict
Feb 26, 2016
1308 posts
414 upvotes
Vaughan
i live in a corner lot similar to yours but i only have a sidewalk on one side. And yes, city owns the lawn on the other side of the sidewalk and in fact, a little bit of the lawn on your side of the sidewalk. If you have a land survey, you'll be able to tell exactly what you own. A general rule of thumb is to check your fence (if you have one on your side of the sidewalk) and the main water line shut off. That'll generally show you the division between what you own vs what is owned by the city.

What sucks is that even though the city owns it, you have to maintain/cut it. Not like the city will do it. So bill board signs are a pain because you have to remove them when cutting the lawn. I don't mind the billboard signs so long as it gets removed within a reasonable time but some people just leave it there forever and never come back for it. In those cases, I just throw it out after. What's worse is inconsiderate people walk on your side of the lawn and sometimes even let their dogs do their business without picking it up. The dogs urine kills the grass. It's very annoying. My side of the lawn is nice and maintained while the city side is pretty dead with weeds but people will still bring their dogs on my side of the lawn (often letting them walk leashless). Sorry a bit of a rant here, hahaha.. to stay the least, I will never buy a corner lot again, haha.
Deal Addict
Sep 8, 2017
4402 posts
4574 upvotes
GTA
You can probably report whoever is putting up the signs to your municipal bylaw office. Most municipalities have a bylaw that do not allow signs like that.
Deal Addict
Jan 5, 2003
4438 posts
3938 upvotes
Toronto
Put all other realtors' signs behind one of them. The signs haven't been removed (just relocated) so no one's stolen anything, and because they're all "hidden" behind that one realtor's sign, it'll look like he did it to the other realtors.
Deal Addict
Aug 5, 2003
2443 posts
387 upvotes
North York
Technically the city is responsible for removing signage in most municipalities, but if you happened to relocate them to a garbage bin when you cut the grass, or when walking by I can't see any normal person complaining about it.
Deal Expert
Feb 11, 2007
17228 posts
19118 upvotes
Oakville
Pretty sure people can't just put any old signs on the grass near the road, corner lot or not. Otherwise what's stopping every politician and real estate agent from plastering every lawn with one?
If someone put a sign on my lot it would go straight to the garbage.
If the women don't find you handsome, they should at least find you handy.