[OP]
Deal Addict
Jan 14, 2007
3657 posts
862 upvotes
GTA

Do I Really Need To Upgrade - Rogers Ignite

Hello,

I have Rogers Ignite 150 internet at home and it's been perfectly fine for my family all these years. Recently however, as the kids have had to start doing school from home due to COVID-19, our internet is crashing daily. The two Wi-Fi networks (2.4GHz and 5GHz) are just disappearing and the only way to get them back is to do a hard reset on the Rogers modem (which doubles as our wireless router and has been fine in that respect).

I spoke with Rogers and they said that the issue is being caused by having too many devices connected. Apparently Ignite 150 is good for ~8 devices and when the tech logged into my modem she said I had 16 devices connected. She insisted that to resolve this issue I needed to upgrade to either Ignite 500 or Gigabit. I just did a mental calculation and can confirm that in my home we have at least 23 devices connected to the Wi-Fi network, though not all simultaneously. We have things like Alexa's, Wyze cameras, Smart TV's, iPads, Smartphones, Laptops, Ecobee, Fire Stick, etc.

My question is will upgrading actually solve the issue or am I better off trying something else like a mesh router system?
49 replies
Deal Fanatic
Oct 7, 2010
9922 posts
1799 upvotes
Buy a more powerful standalone router and disable the router on the modem. That Hitron white router modem is complete trash.

I never had much problem with the flat black modem but they forced me to upgrade to the white one. They cancelled my line by mistake and claim they cant reactivate the old modem.

Will never sign up with robber again since they are so incompetent.

They lying to you about upgrading to get more mone out of you. Of course you will need to go Gigabit if everyone is running hd feeds and gaming. I see no problem with 150mbit for a small family. Its overkill really.
[OP]
Deal Addict
Jan 14, 2007
3657 posts
862 upvotes
GTA
The modem I have is a black one. We are what I would consider to be light users.....never streaming on more than two devices at once, and not always at 4K/HD quality either. We do tend to download a lot of content to watch offline (Netflix, Disney+, etc.).
Deal Guru
Mar 9, 2007
13871 posts
8937 upvotes
Think of the Childre…
Do a bandwidth test, disconnect all other devices just your laptop/pc and check to see if you're getting the full advertised bandwidth.
I would plug the RJ45 directly to Rogers modem, not wifi when testing.

WOULD SOMEBODY THINK OF THE CHILDREN!!!
Deal Fanatic
Oct 16, 2008
8064 posts
2732 upvotes
Maple
Router/modem from Rogers are weak. Get separate router will enhance signals. 23 devices connected are not too many.
[OP]
Deal Addict
Jan 14, 2007
3657 posts
862 upvotes
GTA
So the consensus so far seems to be just to upgrade to a dedicated wireless router and put the Rogers modem in bridge mode. Do I just need a regular type of router or should I get a mesh system? I will admit that one of my kids bedrooms is at the opposite end of the house to where the router is now and the Wi-Fi signal is weak there at best.
Deal Addict
Jun 8, 2005
3050 posts
525 upvotes
Toronto
The_Professor wrote: So the consensus so far seems to be just to upgrade to a dedicated wireless router and put the Rogers modem in bridge mode. Do I just need a regular type of router or should I get a mesh system? I will admit that one of my kids bedrooms is at the opposite end of the house to where the router is now and the Wi-Fi signal is weak there at best.
In my opinion, wired backhaul is better than mesh. That means either powerline ethernet (if your house is modern and not knob and tube) or MOCHA (coax) but that's not an option unless you have separate coax runs.
Deal Expert
Mar 25, 2003
16048 posts
4554 upvotes
Markham
The_Professor wrote: So the consensus so far seems to be just to upgrade to a dedicated wireless router and put the Rogers modem in bridge mode. Do I just need a regular type of router or should I get a mesh system? I will admit that one of my kids bedrooms is at the opposite end of the house to where the router is now and the Wi-Fi signal is weak there at best.
Check BST section
asus-rt-ac87u-router-2367569/#p32387223
tp-link-archer-c2-ac750-wireless-dual-b ... #p31899525
tp-link-archer-c2600-router-2338231/#p31856122
96TB Mediasonic H82-SU3S2 / 72TB Raid 50 on Mediasonic H8R2-SU3S2
48TB Node 304 / i5-3570 / Server 2016 Essentials
12TB HP Mediasmart EX 495 (E8400, 3.0GHZ, 4GB Mushkin), with Server 2016 Essentials
16TB Qnap TS-459 Pro
[OP]
Deal Addict
Jan 14, 2007
3657 posts
862 upvotes
GTA
After doing some homework I think I want to give a new router a shot. There are two that have caught my eye at BestBuy and are currently on sale:

https://www.bestbuy.ca/en-ca/product/ne ... k/13906332

https://www.bestbuy.ca/en-ca/product/d- ... k/13371092

Does anyone know which is the better system to get (or can recommend an alternate at around the same price point of $200-$250)? I would have to run them with a wireless backhaul if it makes a difference.

Thanks!
Sep 30, 2015
248 posts
67 upvotes
York, ON
Another alternative is to upgrade your whole house to Ignite TV bundles. It comes with ignite tv (one free tvbos, and one rental), ignite 500/20 mbps mesh system (one mesh modem and 3 pods), home phone. I negotiated a real great deal from them. Beats the bundle cost of their digital cable.

Just like you, I had their 150mbps service with the black cgn3 modem, and I had to unplug it from time to time. With this new ignite mesh, I have never unplug it in 2 months.
Deal Addict
Sep 13, 2011
1036 posts
662 upvotes
Canada
The_Professor wrote: After doing some homework I think I want to give a new router a shot. There are two that have caught my eye at BestBuy and are currently on sale:

https://www.bestbuy.ca/en-ca/product/ne ... k/13906332

https://www.bestbuy.ca/en-ca/product/d- ... k/13371092

Does anyone know which is the better system to get (or can recommend an alternate at around the same price point of $200-$250)? I would have to run them with a wireless backhaul if it makes a difference.

Thanks!
Netgear is better than D-link. But I would buy a single router, compatible with Mesh, and try this first, if you need another one later you would have the possibility. None wired Mesh is not great, With a new router, you may have a better coverage than before, you could also try to increase you router height to the maximum possible. Mine is wall mounted and one router cover the whole house and more.
Sep 9, 2012
280 posts
205 upvotes
Ottawa
I have the Orbi, but since my house is Ethernet wired, I actually use the satellites in wired back-haul mode. I'd recommend Ubiquiti APs if your house is wired.
Deal Addict
Aug 3, 2006
4518 posts
1096 upvotes
- It sounds like OP has the Hitron CGN3 modem/router. I think ISPs first began using this in 2012 so yes it's a bit old. I don't think it even supports 802.11ac. The CGN3 can support 40+ concurrently connected devices.
- Having 23 devices connected to wifi shouldn't be an issue. The devices aren't all in active use at the same time. Idle devices would barely use any bandwidth from OP's 150MBit connection.
- If anything it sounds more like the modem is having issues. Not surprising. Over the past few years Rogers has been asking customers to replace their old modems with the current modems. Though they only do so if you happen to have a tech support issue or are upgrading your internet service.
[OP]
Deal Addict
Jan 14, 2007
3657 posts
862 upvotes
GTA
Mulder and Scully wrote: - It sounds like OP has the Hitron CGN3 modem/router. I think ISPs first began using this in 2012 so yes it's a bit old. I don't think it even supports 802.11ac. The CGN3 can support 40+ concurrently connected devices.
- Having 23 devices connected to wifi shouldn't be an issue. The devices aren't all in active use at the same time. Idle devices would barely use any bandwidth from OP's 150MBit connection.
- If anything it sounds more like the modem is having issues. Not surprising. Over the past few years Rogers has been asking customers to replace their old modems with the current modems. Though they only do so if you happen to have a tech support issue or are upgrading your internet service.
You are correct, that is the modem I have and it's been in the house now for ~8 years. I'm not starting to second guess my plans for a mesh system since I'd have to run it wireless and instead considering trying to upgrade the modem first as that'll be no charge so worth a shot.
Sep 9, 2012
280 posts
205 upvotes
Ottawa
The_Professor wrote: You are correct, that is the modem I have and it's been in the house now for ~8 years. I'm not starting to second guess my plans for a mesh system since I'd have to run it wireless and instead considering trying to upgrade the modem first as that'll be no charge so worth a shot.
I'd stay away from the Obri from personal experience. Netgear just can't seem to figure out stable firmware. There were countless times where I had to restart my router because I was getting 1.0Mbs on WIRED.
Deal Addict
Sep 15, 2015
1092 posts
1091 upvotes
Abbotsford
What do you pay a month just for internet?
Deal Addict
Dec 11, 2003
2358 posts
956 upvotes
Toronto
The_Professor wrote: You are correct, that is the modem I have and it's been in the house now for ~8 years. I'm not starting to second guess my plans for a mesh system since I'd have to run it wireless and instead considering trying to upgrade the modem first as that'll be no charge so worth a shot.
I say if Rogers will give you the modem for free then go for it. I have the white modem/router combo and it works great. The router is very strong in my house. I have it in a central location and I get a strong signal in every part of the house. I don't know what issues people are having when they say it's crap (nobody ever goes into details). When I switched over it beat out my $120 D-Link router that I was using in terms of speed and signal strength.
P10 2.4 THz CPU || 8 TB Ram || WD 300 TB HD || Nvidia w/ 32 TB Memory

"You're only as dumb as you look"
[OP]
Deal Addict
Jan 14, 2007
3657 posts
862 upvotes
GTA
DanielM491 wrote: What do you pay a month just for internet?
$51 plus HST for 150u including the modem rental. I also have cable TV with them and have a $25 perpetual monthly discount applied as part of having a package with them. I don't have any other services with Rogers.
Deal Addict
Aug 3, 2006
4518 posts
1096 upvotes
ds2chan wrote: I say if Rogers will give you the modem for free then go for it. I have the white modem/router combo and it works great. The router is very strong in my house. I have it in a central location and I get a strong signal in every part of the house. I don't know what issues people are having when they say it's crap (nobody ever goes into details).
Same here. I think most people don't understand wifi and wifi has so many variations that it's difficult to troubleshoot. Like just off the top of my head we have:
- 2.4 GHz and 5 GHz frequencies
- 802.11ax, 802.11ac, 802.11n and 802.11b/g
- Spatial streams that are 1x1, 2x2, 3x3 and 4x4

And these are just the basic variations per device from modems to routers to phones to tablets to USB wifi cards. There are so many permutations with wifi devices that it's difficult to troubleshoot issues.
[OP]
Deal Addict
Jan 14, 2007
3657 posts
862 upvotes
GTA
ds2chan wrote: I say if Rogers will give you the modem for free then go for it. I have the white modem/router combo and it works great. The router is very strong in my house. I have it in a central location and I get a strong signal in every part of the house. I don't know what issues people are having when they say it's crap (nobody ever goes into details). When I switched over it beat out my $120 D-Link router that I was using in terms of speed and signal strength.
A colleague of mine has the same modem as you and raves about it. He says he gets a signal on the street in front of his house! He has the Gigabit internet package though so I think he has to get this particular modem.