Food & Drink

Do i tip the Pizzay Delivery Guy if i pay Online?

• Last Updated:
  • Jul 30th, 2009 3:54 pm
Tags:
[OP]
Feb 22, 2009
494 posts
122 upvotes
Kitchener, ON

Do i tip the Pizzay Delivery Guy if i pay Online?

I have never ordered a pizza before by any means. I was wondering...do i pay the delivery guy some kind of tip if i order online and pay for the order using a credit card? And if so then how much is that tip (do i pay in cash)?

And if i dont have to pay tip then in normal cases when say i order via a phone and i must pay the delivery guy for the order when s/he delivers it then would i have to pay tip then...and if so, then how much is that tip?

Thanks
117 replies
Deal Guru
Sep 2, 2008
12441 posts
2183 upvotes
You don't HAVE to tip but its the social expectation. If you do tip, you tip regardless of how you pay. If you pay with your cc online, when you sign the slip you can specify the tip right there. Or you can just give him some cash instead.

How much to tip is up to you.
Deal Addict
May 12, 2004
1544 posts
5 upvotes
Richmond Hill
I find it harder to tip pizza guys nowadays since the "delivery charge" itself keeps increasing. Pizza Pizza is up to $3.50, which is a lot since they add taxes on top of that so it could easily be 20-25% of your total order. Now I just pick it up myself.
Deal Addict
Jul 4, 2005
1905 posts
7 upvotes
I guess it depends on the order. If the guy is polite I tip and if they deliver my food in a reasonable time.

I remember buying 2 for 1 or Wing Machine (can't remember which) all I remember is the order came up to $41.02 I gave the guy a $50.00 bill and two penny's and he just decided he was going to tip himself my $9 change + their delivery surcharge which is $4-$6 as it is. Long story short took me 20 more mins to get my money back and not even a apology from their head office or no free coupons/food items or the like.
!
Deal Guru
Sep 2, 2008
12441 posts
2183 upvotes
xbl_sucks wrote: I guess it depends on the order. If the guy is polite I tip and if they deliver my food in a reasonable time.

I remember buying 2 for 1 or Wing Machine (can't remember which) all I remember is the order came up to $41.02 I gave the guy a $50.00 bill and two penny's and he just decided he was going to tip himself my $9 change + their delivery surcharge which is $4-$6 as it is. Long story short took me 20 more mins to get my money back and not even a apology from their head office or no free coupons/food items or the like.
Why didn't you stop him before he left then?
Deal Addict
Oct 1, 2004
3395 posts
9 upvotes
Delivery charge doesnt go to the driver. It goes to the store.
:mad: :lol:
Deal Addict
Jul 4, 2005
1905 posts
7 upvotes
slowtyper wrote: Why didn't you stop him before he left then?
He was outside the door trust me I did I said hey where is my change he was like what change? I said the $9 you owe me now. I was going to just ask for $5 back. Now I want to cancel this and for you to take you crap back.

Got my money back in full told him to keep the 2 penny's as a tip.
!
Deal Guru
Sep 2, 2008
12441 posts
2183 upvotes
xbl_sucks wrote: He was outside the door trust me I did I said hey where is my change he was like what change? I said the $9 you owe me now. I was going to just ask for $5 back. Now I want to cancel this and for you to take you crap back.

Got my money back in full told him to keep the 2 penny's as a tip.
So how did you spend 20 minutes getting your money back?
Jul 28, 2008
395 posts
13 upvotes
TO
Yeah I usually tip the delivery guy. At the very least 10% - 15% on the price before tax. If it arrives exceptionally quick and is hot (and I'm just in a starving mood and thankful), I might tip 20%.

These guys don't get paid a lot (minimum wage), so tipping them is nice.

I don't think I've ever received service bad enough to not tip at all.

Oh, and if you're thinking of skimping on tip, you should consider whether or not you can afford delivery and factor tip into the overall cost. Until you work in customer service, I don't think you realize how rough it can be, so tip nicely.
Deal Fanatic
Oct 27, 2008
6964 posts
63 upvotes
Ottawa
slowtyper wrote: So how did you spend 20 minutes getting your money back?
Chasing the guy down the street I hope, hah. Preferably with a baseball bat.
factum7000 wrote: Oh, and if you're thinking of skimping on tip, you should consider whether or not you can afford delivery and factor tip into the overall cost. Until you work in customer service, I don't think you realize how rough it can be, so tip nicely.
I usually tip $2-$3 if ordering just for myself. If its for a group of like 4-5 people, I'll usuall tip closer to $5. Which is usually between 10%-15%.

But if you're gunna skimp on a tip, you should also consider if you intend to order from the place again. Because it gives them a reason to want to pull a dominoes on your pizza. I usually order from the same place, and usually get the same delivery guy, so if I want continued good service, I tip him decently. Usually, I'll also increase the tip over time for good sevice. Like, if I always get him at the door whenever I order and he always does a good job & is friendly, I'll up the tip by $1 or $2. That way he gets to know me better, and know that I tip better, so want to give me better service.

But to answer the OP, you can give a cash tip, or if ordering by CC, you can write tip on the slip you gotta sign. Cash always works though.
Deal Addict
Jul 4, 2005
1905 posts
7 upvotes
slowtyper wrote: So how did you spend 20 minutes getting your money back?
Calling the store and what not. The whole thing just pissed me off I spent 5-10 mins at least talking to the guy asking for my money back he said you have to call the store. I did and they placed me on hold for 3-4 mins and got a manager to refund the price and told the driver to just take it back and to black list us from them I was like good you do that.
!
Deal Expert
Mar 7, 2005
18380 posts
1364 upvotes
Elmira
obviously you're supposed to tip, you cheap bugger
a closed mind is already defeated
Deal Guru
Jan 2, 2006
12222 posts
148 upvotes
You can't be this daft.

Does a delivery person come to your door to give you food?

Then yes.

You could order through snail mail if you wanted, but if it's delivered then pay.
Deal Addict
Dec 24, 2008
1326 posts
44 upvotes
Mississauga
I think the delivery charge should suffice - why should I pay 15% MORE? They are doing their job, which happens to pay minimum wage. I do my job, and get a paycheque every two weeks. No one tips ME for doing my job, it's expected - my reward IS my paycheque. If someone delivering pizzas does not like the wage, they should get a different paying job. Pizza night for a lot of families is a special thing to do - who wants to have to pay 25% MORE on top of the price of the product?

I hate tipping. No, I am not cheap I just hate being ripped off. I am paying for a product/service and someone is getting paid to provide it. I worked hard to get where I am today, I should not have to pay MORE of my hard earned salary to others who do not make as much as I do.
Deal Fanatic
Nov 23, 2005
8921 posts
5570 upvotes
taylyn wrote: I think the delivery charge should suffice - why should I pay 15% MORE? They are doing their job, which happens to pay minimum wage. I do my job, and get a paycheque every two weeks. No one tips ME for doing my job, it's expected - my reward IS my paycheque. If someone delivering pizzas does not like the wage, they should get a different paying job. Pizza night for a lot of families is a special thing to do - who wants to have to pay 25% MORE on top of the price of the product?

I hate tipping. No, I am not cheap I just hate being ripped off. I am paying for a product/service and someone is getting paid to provide it. I worked hard to get where I am today, I should not have to pay MORE of my hard earned salary to others who do not make as much as I do.

No ... you are just being cheap and you are trying to justify it!

Who ever brings you the pizza is providing you a service. They are the ones out on the road, using their car/gas to bring your lazy ass a pizza to your front door. So please don't try to justify yourself!
Nov 17, 2007
67 posts
6 upvotes
taylyn wrote: I think the delivery charge should suffice - why should I pay 15% MORE? They are doing their job, which happens to pay minimum wage. I do my job, and get a paycheque every two weeks. No one tips ME for doing my job, it's expected - my reward IS my paycheque. If someone delivering pizzas does not like the wage, they should get a different paying job. Pizza night for a lot of families is a special thing to do - who wants to have to pay 25% MORE on top of the price of the product?

alot of the delivery guys provide there own cars and gas so the tip helps pay for that so if you refuse to tip and expect them to pay for there own gas while delivering your pizza on an 9.50 per hour salary... i worked hard to get where i am at to earn a half decent wage... what's the big deal about helping someone out with 5 bucks when after all they are delivering your pizza... if you don't like it then go pick it up yourself... and you hate tipping because your cheap don't kid yourself...
Deal Addict
Dec 24, 2008
1326 posts
44 upvotes
Mississauga
Yes, but I have already paid for the service by paying a delivery charge. They are getting paid through the company to do their job. It's not bring cheap at all, I just have an aversion to everyone who does not make a lot of money expecting MORE money just for doing their job. I think tips should be banned completely, like most places in Europe. God even staff at Timmies have their little cups out hoping for a tip!~ I paid for the coffee, they are paid for serving it - end of story. By your rationale, if I answer the phone at the office and provide service, I should then be getting a tip as well, on top of the salary I receive for doing my job... I pay my hairdresser about $160 every 5 weeks to do my hair - why should I tip her? I already paid her for the service...
Feb 2, 2005
360 posts
7 upvotes
Burnaby
scan wrote: I find it harder to tip pizza guys nowadays since the "delivery charge" itself keeps increasing. Pizza Pizza is up to $3.50, which is a lot since they add taxes on top of that so it could easily be 20-25% of your total order. Now I just pick it up myself.
+1 totally agree!!!!!!! i ordered the pizzapizza 19.99 deal ended up paying 30...
Deal Addict
May 12, 2004
1544 posts
5 upvotes
Richmond Hill
corbro wrote: alot of the delivery guys provide there own cars and gas so the tip helps pay for that so if you refuse to tip and expect them to pay for there own gas while delivering your pizza on an 9.50 per hour salary... i worked hard to get where i am at to earn a half decent wage... what's the big deal about helping someone out with 5 bucks when after all they are delivering your pizza... if you don't like it then go pick it up yourself... and you hate tipping because your cheap don't kid yourself...
You don't really have the right to say that. You are partially correct but it doesn't mean you have the right to label anyone anything. Yes, most of the delivery drivers provide their own vehicles and gas to do their jobs but that's what they signed up for. If anyone is to blame is the stores who decided to start charging a "delivery charge" and keeping it for themselves.

What you need to consider is taylyn is partially correct as well. It's funny because you see all these "delivery charges" and tip jars nowadays and we just seem to have accepted and embrace them. Why? I will tend to agree with taylyn about that. You can avoid paying these extra charges by picking up your pizza in person, but can I go behind a Starbucks or Tim Hortons counter and make my own coffee?
Deal Expert
Aug 18, 2005
21125 posts
5804 upvotes
Burlington-Hamilton
scan wrote: I find it harder to tip pizza guys nowadays since the "delivery charge" itself keeps increasing. Pizza Pizza is up to $3.50, which is a lot since they add taxes on top of that so it could easily be 20-25% of your total order. Now I just pick it up myself.
The last time I ordered a pizza for delivery was ... I can't remember. Probably 1996 or earlier.

Honestly I think that just driving out to pick it up is worth the hassle because you save all the delivery charge, tipping, risking getting it late, and instead get the pizza much more quickly. Actually I have the frozen ones in my freezer or make them from scratch now. It's pretty easy. I wouldn't get delivery unless I was disabled and couldn't drive. Even then, I could still make a hearty meal worth of pizza for under $5.00 after tax. Add a glass of my "home made" wine that costs about $4.50/bottle to make and it's a kingly feast!
- casual gastronomist -

Thread Information

There is currently 1 user viewing this thread. (0 members and 1 guest)