• Feb 8th, 2017 2:35 pm
Tags:
[OP]
Mar 28, 2012
344 posts
88 upvotes
My Kijiji sofa

Do iPads run same OS as MAC ?

I am sometimes called to support someone using a MAC. If necessary, I will do screensharing, but it would be extremely useful if I was actually intimately familiar with the OS the way I am with Windows. I want to switch out my laptop - as my personal use device - and torn between an iPad mini or Ockel. This would be a "pro" for ipad if the OS is same as MAC.
I am open! Let's get on with the hacking - I assume it vibrates?
Ref: Dazz
11 replies
Deal Addict
Sep 19, 2002
3873 posts
2691 upvotes
Vancouver
No.

And to answer the question in your other thread, it won't run other operating systems either.
[OP]
Mar 28, 2012
344 posts
88 upvotes
My Kijiji sofa
Thank you.
and w/r to other question, it's about using the iPad as a monitor. I know you can not install Windows or other OS on it. There's an app OSLinx that allows iPad too be used as a monitor for a WIndows PC.
Deal Expert
Aug 2, 2004
33716 posts
7357 upvotes
East Gwillimbury
Not sure why you would want to use an iPad as a second monitor especially if you're just providing support.

You need to study some hardware. Windows and Macs run on Intel, most tablets and cell phones run on ARM. Two completely different architectures

I have replaced my notebook when the New iPad was released back in 2012. Generally, iPads and tablets can replace Windows if you're doing simple tasks. I use my iPad to remote into my Windows PC all the time and I have access to a full version of Windows on my iPad
Deal Addict
Nov 21, 2008
1351 posts
240 upvotes
North Vancouver, BC
Windows can run on ARM.
Deal Fanatic
Mar 17, 2006
6881 posts
5796 upvotes
Burlington
JoDanrfd wrote: Thank you.
and w/r to other question, it's about using the iPad as a monitor. I know you can not install Windows or other OS on it. There's an app OSLinx that allows iPad too be used as a monitor for a WIndows PC.
I am starting to think you are really bad at google-ing. So I figure I'll show you this:
http://lmgtfy.com/?q=use+ipad+as+monitor.
[OP]
Mar 28, 2012
344 posts
88 upvotes
My Kijiji sofa
Gee wrote: Not sure why you would want to use an iPad as a second monitor especially if you're just providing support.
For travel for the kangaroo. not as a second monitor. Aiming for really portable alternative to laptop. Biz stuff all on kangaroo separate from personal. Don't need windows specifically for personal use device. IPad could serve both purposes, and it would have been a plus if the os was like that of mac.
Deal Addict
Oct 17, 2004
1552 posts
136 upvotes
Technically iOS is based on (is a fork of?) the same kernel as MacOS, however none of what is exposed to you as a user is the same.
[OP]
Mar 28, 2012
344 posts
88 upvotes
My Kijiji sofa
Great helpful answer. Thank you :)
Jan 20, 2013
477 posts
81 upvotes
Woodbridge
Gee wrote: I use my iPad to remote into my Windows PC all the time and I have access to a full version of Windows on my iPad
Using what? Teamviewer or something better?
Does iPad could handle VM with windows?
TIA
Deal Expert
Oct 6, 2005
16599 posts
2314 upvotes
JoDanrfd wrote: Thank you.
Yes, I use Duet Display - it works very well. Supports Mac OS and Windows: https://www.duetdisplay.com/

Underneath it all is Darwin, which is a Unlx BSD operating system. On top of that sits OSX, iOS, TVOS, etc: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Darwin_(operating_system)
Deal Expert
Aug 2, 2004
33716 posts
7357 upvotes
East Gwillimbury
vnkvnk wrote: Using what? Teamviewer or something better?
Does iPad could handle VM with windows?
TIA
Jump Desktop and it works way better than TeamViewer.

If the Virtual Machine is running in Windows, you can Remote into the host or the Virtual Machine. Assuming you have Windows Pro running or VNC