• Aug 8th, 2016 3:13 pm
[OP]
Deal Addict
Sep 27, 2006
4739 posts
1644 upvotes
Not so easy there Ma…

Do new laptops have a two prong or three prong plugs

Do new laptops have a two prong or three prong plugs? Hopefully they've done away with 3 prong wall plugs on them? It's been a few years since buying one.

And if they are now two prong is the effective length still about as long or have they cheaped out and gone with shorter cords?
9 replies
Deal Expert
Aug 22, 2006
28490 posts
14065 upvotes
Why would they do away with them?
I prefer them to 2 prongs.

It depends on the manufacturer. Some are 2. Others are 3.
Same with the next comment. Some cords are long. Others not so much.
Do you not have anything else to do rather than argue with strangers on the internet
Nope. That's why I'm on the internet arguing with strangers. If I had anything better to do I'd probably be doing it.
Deal Expert
Dec 12, 2009
23707 posts
12921 upvotes
Toronto
What's wrong with three prong plugs? Unless you live in an old house that has never received wiring upgrade, there's no concerns of compatibility.
Deal Addict
Aug 14, 2015
1828 posts
573 upvotes
I love 3 prongs, it stops the stupid cables from falling out or going on an angle for my cat to chew and kill himself.
Deal Addict
Feb 29, 2012
2654 posts
1459 upvotes
Richmond
It seems to be more a Canadian thing. We've purchased the same laptop from Canadian and USA suppliers, and the power supply for the Canadian version has a 3-prong plug while the U.S. one has a 2-prong plug.

2-prong is better for travelers, fits more foreign plugs and adapters.
[OP]
Deal Addict
Sep 27, 2006
4739 posts
1644 upvotes
Not so easy there Ma…
Thanks for the feedback. Yup it's an old house. The wall outlets are very few and far between and two of the rooms haven't been upgrade d to grounded outlets.. Hate having to deploy the thick ugly three prong outdoor extension cords.
Deal Expert
Oct 6, 2005
16731 posts
2409 upvotes
fergy wrote: Do new laptops have a two prong or three prong plugs? Hopefully they've done away with 3 prong wall plugs on them? It's been a few years since buying one
Depends on the AC adapter that gets shipped with the unit. Dell, Microsoft, IBM, recent power supplies seem to be 2 pronged.
If you have or get a 3 pronged supply, you can always replace it with a 2 pronged one.
Deal Addict
Jun 17, 2012
2338 posts
341 upvotes
In another world
Faith24 wrote: It seems to be more a Canadian thing. We've purchased the same laptop from Canadian and USA suppliers, and the power supply for the Canadian version has a 3-prong plug while the U.S. one has a 2-prong plug.

2-prong is better for travelers, fits more foreign plugs and adapters.
My Lenovo laptop has a 3 prong plug, and it may be a U.S. version (I'm assuming as my keyboard has no extra characters, as opposed by some customers who noted their laptop came with a French Canadian layout).
Deal Addict
Jul 23, 2004
2215 posts
715 upvotes
Montreal
Why don't you use one of those cheater plugs?

Thread Information

There is currently 1 user viewing this thread. (0 members and 1 guest)