Automotive

Do newer Toyotas let you know when its time to get an oil change?

• Last Updated:
  • Sep 7th, 2021 5:43 pm
Tags:
[OP]
Deal Addict
Oct 17, 2010
1720 posts
266 upvotes

Do newer Toyotas let you know when its time to get an oil change?

Just wondering if newer vehicles (18 toyota highlander) are suppose to let you know when you need to change ur oil or are u suppose to follow the "6 months or 8000km servicing" that toyota "recomends"

i remember my car telling me its time for an oil change before but it hasnt pinged me in a year now.

I wasnt sure if its something the dealer sets a reminder in the computer on the car or if the car "knows" when your due for whatever reason.
16 replies
Deal Fanatic
Aug 4, 2005
8152 posts
796 upvotes
Brampton
Check the manual
Deal Addict
Nov 7, 2016
1986 posts
999 upvotes
Ontario
Maybe it wasn't reset last time?

·Ï¢årµ§·
[OP]
Deal Addict
Oct 17, 2010
1720 posts
266 upvotes
IcarusLSC wrote: Maybe it wasn't reset last time?

ah so they prob set a maintence remindeir? not the car actually detecting if the oil is good or not?

sorry prob a dumb question but just wanted to be sure
Deal Addict
Nov 7, 2016
1986 posts
999 upvotes
Ontario
Don't know, I don't own one. Do you have an owners manual to look at?
·Ï¢årµ§·
Oct 8, 2019
167 posts
96 upvotes
thatsnazzyiphoneguy wrote: ah so they prob set a maintence remindeir? not the car actually detecting if the oil is good or not?

sorry prob a dumb question but just wanted to be sure
I never rely on the maintenance reminder. I could be wrong, but i dont think relying on your car for an oil analysis is the best idea. If that was the case, manufacturers would put "change oil once the oil light is on" in the manual rather then their standard wording of changing every 6 months or 8k.
Jun 2, 2009
276 posts
95 upvotes
that gen highlander would track mileage/time. You can set the interval however you want.

No, it does not adjust based on driving habits.
Deal Addict
Oct 24, 2016
1164 posts
1046 upvotes
ON
Also there is a very crucial bit of manual task involved with the maintenance minder. Every time you change your oil, you have to reset the maintenance minder and it goes back to 100%. Over time as you drive, the percentage keeps falling and you change oil at or before 0%. Upon reaching 15% a reminder appears on the dashboard. At least that’s how it works in Honda.

With over a decade of driving the Honda, I have always changed oil with maintenance minder and have never had any issues.

So in cases when you forget that manual task of resetting, you need to follow the old km/time formula applicable to your model.
Isn't it great to live in the 21st century where deleting history has become more important than making it.
Deal Addict
Sep 22, 2009
2832 posts
1486 upvotes
Markham
Why can't people read their owner's manual anymore?
Why are we relying on a sensor/light to tell us something isn't right.

We are driving a +3000 lb bone crushing equipment....
Deal Fanatic
Feb 4, 2015
7007 posts
3243 upvotes
Canada, Eh!!
Different manufactures use various oil change procedures.

Toyota by distance/time, Honda by mtce minder, etc.

Just need to read manual once to see what procedure your vehicle has and then don't question validity of it... doubt we are smarter then engineers that designed oil change procedure/method.

BUT do not follow dealership sticker unless they follow manual and for mtce minder there is no need for sticker.

For low mileage driving folks... change at least once a year.
July 13, 2017 to October 25, 2018: BOC raised rates 5 times and MCAP raised its prime rate next day each time.

2020: BOC dropped rates 3 times and MCAP waited and waited to drop its prime rate to include all 3 drops.
[OP]
Deal Addict
Oct 17, 2010
1720 posts
266 upvotes
georvu wrote: Different manufactures use various oil change procedures.

Just need to read manual once to see what procedure your vehicle has and then don't question validity of it... doubt we are smarter then engineers that designed oil change procedure/method.

BUT do not follow dealership sticker unless they follow manual and for mtce minder there is no need for sticker.

yeah its. 2017 with only 34k .

Thank you everyone
Deal Expert
Aug 22, 2011
35914 posts
22043 upvotes
Center of Universe
georvu wrote: Different manufactures use various oil change procedures.

^This
/Thread
Oct 21, 2006
748 posts
501 upvotes
the CAR CARE NUT on youtube who is a Toyota master tech says to change the oil every 5000 miles (8000km) or 6 months which ever comes first. This is to protect the engine for the long term, well beyond the powertrain warranty period. I have a 2017 RX350 with the 3.5L at 52k km and I'm following that routine.
Deal Addict
Sep 22, 2009
2832 posts
1486 upvotes
Markham
I had an old Lexus before. I changed the oil at the interval as specified in the owner's manual.
At 480k km, engine compression was still good (within specified range) and no major oil consumption issue.
Jan 25, 2019
54 posts
175 upvotes
Jigsaw wrote: the CAR CARE NUT on youtube who is a Toyota master tech says to change the oil every 5000 miles (8000km) or 6 months which ever comes first. This is to protect the engine for the long term, well beyond the powertrain warranty period. I have a 2017 RX350 with the 3.5L at 52k km and I'm following that routine.
This guy is awesome for Toyota's.

Some models have it and some don't... Toyota eliminated most of them when they went to the extended oil change intervals 16000km/1 year what ever comes first. Toyota said too many people were confused by the light and thought it was a check engine light. Standard maintenance is required every 6 months or 8000 KM on Toyota.. this is what is in the Manual.
Oct 25, 2020
292 posts
212 upvotes
Reset one of your trip meters when an oil change is done. Easy way to track mileage between changes.
Deal Fanatic
Jul 26, 2007
5724 posts
3233 upvotes
Toronto
MyGoToUserName wrote: Reset one of your trip meters when an oil change is done. Easy way to track mileage between changes.
These days when the car is driven less and less, better to go by time like I been doing every 6 months. Trying to avoid winter months to do any car maintenance, so been doing end of april and october for past few years now.

Unless you drive 30k+ kms per year, your oci might be better using above method of distance with tripmeter b.