• May 21st, 2021 12:22 pm
[OP]
Deal Addict
Nov 1, 2017
1596 posts
926 upvotes

Do Noctua coolers ever go on sale?

My CPU is overheating.
Current cooler: Noctua L9i and it hits 100C with the stock fan. I'm able to get it down to 96-99C with a high rpm fan, but I think it's time to invest in a newer cooler.

I'm thinking of grabbing a Noctua D14/15 depending on what fits in my case.

I know in the NCIX days these coolers went on sale for 60-70$.
Last edited by PerformingAzura on May 17th, 2021 2:13 pm, edited 1 time in total.
19 replies
Aug 17, 2012
492 posts
393 upvotes
COQUITLAM
Have you tried to replace the thermal paste?
Deal Guru
Sep 13, 2007
10035 posts
5001 upvotes
¯\_(ツ)_/¯
They do, but not much

Holy, 96-99? Try reseating the cooler, maybe too much or too little thermal paste?
Last edited by iSimple on May 17th, 2021 2:14 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Telus Peace of Mind Plan $45 25GB
[OP]
Deal Addict
Nov 1, 2017
1596 posts
926 upvotes
VillageIdiot wrote: Have you tried to replace the thermal paste?
Thermal paste is new. Issue is that I'm using a 65W cooler on a 85W CPU.
Deal Addict
Jul 26, 2004
4096 posts
1238 upvotes
What CPU are you trying to cool here ? and are we sized limited by the case or anything? From the Noctua L9i to the D15 is like going from the smallest cooler to their largest............
Dec 8, 2009
616 posts
637 upvotes
With a lot of parts right now there's no point putting them on sale because they are already selling well at regular prices. Not that long ago Noctua coolers were out of stock a lot of the time.

COVID + Shortages + both AMD and Intel releasing new CPU lines recently means Noctua is going to sell through their stock without issue. No need for any sales really right now.
Deal Guru
Feb 9, 2006
12422 posts
7007 upvotes
Brampton
What kind of CPU and cooler do you have now? 100C is crazy (unless you're a Alienware R1x)
What's your case temps?
Deal Addict
Nov 15, 2020
1722 posts
1214 upvotes
PerformingAzura wrote: My CPU is overheating.
Current cooler: Noctua L9i and it hits 100C with the stock fan. I'm able to get it down to 96-99C with a high rpm fan, but I think it's time to invest in a newer cooler.

Part of the problem is your unrealistic expectations. The D15 was selling for around $100 in the past 5 years. From that perspective you believe prices for the D15 went up 80%, which it did not. The price quoted for the black version has always been at this price since it came out 1-2 years ago.

If you need it then just buy it. The difference is the price of decent lunch between a possible sale and no sale. Like the other person mentioned, there is no reason to sell at a discount right now.
[OP]
Deal Addict
Nov 1, 2017
1596 posts
926 upvotes
board123 wrote: https://www.canadacomputers.com/product ... _id=160988

A lot cheaper and will work just fine.
Couldn't find any comparisons of Gammex vs Noctua, but apparently this is comparable to the Cooler Master 212 Evo.

Apparently the Noctua D15 will be 5C cooler than the Cooler Master 212 Black Edition while also being 4 db quieter.
Not sure how the Evo compares to the black edition.

I'll consider it. Thanks.
coilz wrote: What CPU are you trying to cool here ? and are we sized limited by the case or anything? From the Noctua L9i to the D15 is like going from the smallest cooler to their largest............
I built this PC out of spare parts. I just had the L9i lying around.
tebore wrote: What kind of CPU and cooler do you have now? 100C is crazy (unless you're a Alienware R1x)
What's your case temps?
No clue. But I'm hitting 100C with the side panel open.
Case is some old Corsair mid tower. The issue is squarely on the heatsink, It's simply not meant to be used on a 85W CPU.
CPU: Overclocked 4670K
Cooler: Noctua L9i

evilYoda wrote: Part of the problem is your unrealistic expectations. The D15 was selling for around $100 in the past 5 years. From that perspective you believe prices for the D15 went up 80%, which it did not. The price quoted for the black version has always been at this price since it came out 1-2 years ago.

If you need it then just buy it. The difference is the price of decent lunch between a possible sale and no sale. Like the other person mentioned, there is no reason to sell at a discount right now.
Looking at eBay, used D15 do hit 50-60$ but shipping from the states usually kills the deal. There is a dude in markham selling one for 100$ but I don't want to drive 30mins to save tax.
Deal Addict
Nov 15, 2020
1722 posts
1214 upvotes
PerformingAzura wrote: Couldn't find any comparisons of Gammex vs Noctua, but apparently this is comparable to the Cooler Master 212 Evo.

Apparently the Noctua D15 will be 5C cooler than the Cooler Master 212 Black Edition while also being 4 db quieter.
Not sure how the Evo compares to the black edition.

I'll consider it. Thanks.

I built this PC out of spare parts. I just had the L9i lying around.

No clue. But I'm hitting 100C with the side panel open.
Case is some old Corsair mid tower. The issue is squarely on the heatsink, It's simply not meant to be used on a 85W CPU.
CPU: Overclocked 4670K
Cooler: Noctua L9i

Looking at eBay, used D15 do hit 50-60$ but shipping from the states usually kills the deal. There is a dude in markham selling one for 100$ but I don't want to drive 30mins to save tax.
The point I was making is that your recollection of ncix dumping the D14/15 brand new for $70 is incorrect. I bought mine close to 5 years ago during flash sale for around $93 before tax. And that was a good price then, for the non-black one.

As i said, if you need it, then just pay for it. $20-30 shouldnt keep you from getting something that is needed. This isnt frivilous at all. If price truly is a problem then just buy a spare intel cooler for the generation of cpu you got from ebay. Loads of people who upgraded to something better are dumping the intel cooler the cpu came with.
Deal Addict
Mar 24, 2012
2625 posts
1105 upvotes
MARKHAM
I have noctua d15 on a 9900kf, idle under 25 and 50-60 during stress test. Do note you need 168mm clearance min, at least 175mm for 2nd fan if you have ram sticks under it. Also the cooler is so wide you might have clearance problem with the first pci-e slot.

Deal Addict
Jul 26, 2004
4096 posts
1238 upvotes
If it's just a spare system with old parts like a i5 4670k, just go with a Hyper 212 like other people suggest. It's cheap new and used. Probably won't get you to the 5ghz+ overclock , but its more than enough to keep a stock 4670k cool and quiet. Will be significantly better than what you're using now. Most variations of the Hyper 212 performs similar to each other, with the mounting hardware having the most change, newer versions are way easier to install.

People tend to keep their Noctua coolers since the company is so generous with their mounting kits allowing multi platform installations. Which is another reason why investing in a Noctua, even though more expensive initally, might be a good idea in the long run. After you're done with it on the 4670 system, you can still move it onto your next project and chances are it'll be compatible, if not immediately compatible, Noctua can provide you with a mounting kit, usually free of charge.
Deal Guru
Feb 9, 2006
12422 posts
7007 upvotes
Brampton
Just curious why you're using a super low profile cooler on a 84W part?

My opinion might be unpopular but if you're looking at getting Noctua coolers in the $80+ range you may want to start looking in to an AIO if your case will fit it.
Dec 23, 2012
240 posts
498 upvotes

Yes by not by much and not often (Amazon, local computer shops). Even used won't get you a big discount as they seem to be pretty desirable. The Be Quiet line often goes for deeper discounts (but the MSRP is higher so it's a wash) at multiple retailers. I have experience with both coolers so just ask.
ShakePay (free bitcoin) | WealthSimple Trade (commission-free trades)
Zoomer 4gb + 400min + ultd text $36/mo
Public Mobile $90/90 days 6GB + unltd pro talk + ultd text (Grandfathered)
*PENDING* Fido Winback $50/mo 15gb ultd talk/text
[OP]
Deal Addict
Nov 1, 2017
1596 posts
926 upvotes
I picked up a warehouse deal D14 for 76$ off amazon (taxes in)

Should be mint, and will fit better in my case while offering similar performance to the D14.
[OP]
Deal Addict
Nov 1, 2017
1596 posts
926 upvotes
tebore wrote: Just curious why you're using a super low profile cooler on a 84W part?

My opinion might be unpopular but if you're looking at getting Noctua coolers in the $80+ range you may want to start looking in to an AIO if your case will fit it.
Pumps die. I have the parts to build my own custom cooled loop at home. I'm just avoiding it I don't want to deal with pump failure down the line (good pumps are expensive)

I mentioned it b4, but I had a couple of low profile coolers lying around.

Edit:
After writing this post... I think I am going to build a custom loop. I decommissioned the pump early because it was over 8 years old, but it's a perfect part for this build.

I'll keep the Noctua as a spare for when the pump finally dies.
Deal Guru
Feb 9, 2006
12422 posts
7007 upvotes
Brampton
PerformingAzura wrote: Pumps die. I have the parts to build my own custom cooled loop at home. I'm just avoiding it I don't want to deal with pump failure down the line (good pumps are expensive)

I mentioned it b4, but I had a couple of low profile coolers lying around.

Edit:
After writing this post... I think I am going to build a custom loop. I decommissioned the pump early because it was over 8 years old, but it's a perfect part for this build.

I'll keep the Noctua as a spare for when the pump finally dies.
Everything dies. I've had clips break, fans fail.
At least these days Chips don't burn up immediately.

AIOs and CPU parts in general have gotten much better than they were in the past.
My Experience with Corsair coolers have been very positive. I only had to RMA my H115i after 4 years because the pump started to get noisy (not dead just noisy). It's run 24/7. Doing an advanced RMA right now.
Corsair's warranty covers damage arising from the failure of their AIOs. Lots of stories online about this. Haven't had it happen to me.

Custom Loops are more fun to build but IMO have a higher chance of failure due to more parts are more joints vs an AIO. I'm considering doing a rigid pipe custom loop this summer just out of boredom, but can't risk parts failing because of the Chip shortage.