• Last Updated:
  • Aug 27th, 2009 6:18 pm
[OP]
Nov 15, 2006
194 posts
6 upvotes
Mississauga

DO NOT BUY FROM Crappy Tire as they sell trash and don't stand behind product

Bought a push mower in Owen Sound, Ontario in June. After a couple uses it stops working. Find reciept and proceed to phone Hanover, Ontario location to find out what i can do about it... The girl takes product number and on computer proceeds to find out more about the product i am phoning about. She proceeds to tell me that there is no return policy on lawnmowers and only a 7 day instore exchange.... (so if you buy a certain model and it works like crap too bad all you can do is an instore exchange for same mower in 7 days) I tell the customer service girl that no one informed me about such a policy and that according to reciept on back it says 90 days. The girl says she will make an exception and to bring it in right away so she can process it. Its 7:30 pm kids go down to bed at 7 pm (3 and 1 yr old) so we wake em up and proceed to quickly make it to do this return. Get to store and girl proceeds to do the return, does all the paper work and up pops message for over ride key.... along comes a very grumpy old man from parts and refuses to complete refund as there is no return policy on lawnmowers with the exception for a 7 day instore "exchange" only. After explaining i phoned before i came and it took me 30 minutes to get to the store the man waves his hand as to shoe a fly and tells me he's not going to listen to my story and that conversation is over :| . I told him i would take the matter up with head office and he tells me to go ahead. I phone tthe contact us number provided on site and the lady from head office could care less about the situation and tells me that thats there policy and as consumer its my responsibility to find out everything about product... and as for the rude man tells me that she will forward complaint to store but can't promis they will contact me or even bother look into the matter. My rant is that i wasted over an hour driving with kids, expected a refund(as promised) which never happened, and got treated like **** from a higher up trying to explain situatin, and there head office could care less. I promise i will never purchase anything from this store as they do not stand for there product. They can ship it out for repair but estimate repair to be 6-8 weeks... perfect i should be able to cut my grass again when the snow starts flying. My rant is here to warn others about my situation and i personally am taking this a a $300 lesson learned as i will never step foot in crappy tire again!
39 replies
Oct 11, 2007
345 posts
49 upvotes
Thanks for sharing! Yep, Crappy Tire is very risky for high-priced purchases. Also in small towns especially they don't really care about customers that much.

When I was buying lawnmower I specifically didn't go with CT and went to Sears instead as their policy seems to be better.
Deal Fanatic
Jul 4, 2004
8986 posts
1937 upvotes
I always try to go everywhere else except Canadian Tire first. I did buy oil at Canadian Tire last week and noticed that Canadian Tire now prints on their receipts that returns and exchanges are now at their discretion.

Meaning they don't have to honor anything and 90 days is nothing.
Mar 14, 2005
453 posts
Edmonton, AB
That sucks...

you should try going to another location if possible and see if anyone can help you there.
Deal Addict
Jun 7, 2005
4373 posts
209 upvotes
Man, nothing working out for you, first your lawnmower now the enter key on your keyboard isn't working!! :evil:

You're not completely out of luck, call up the manufacturer, they should help fix your mower if it is still in warranty.

It is understandable why they have a 7 day policy on seasonal products, people abuse return policies and just use things when they need them and return them. You see this all the time at Costco with people returning pools/patio heaters...stuff like that.
[OP]
Nov 15, 2006
194 posts
6 upvotes
Mississauga
Impossibles wrote: Man, nothing working out for you, first your lawnmower now the enter key on your keyboard isn't working!! :evil:

You're not completely out of luck, call up the manufacturer, they should help fix your mower if it is still in warranty.

It is understandable why they have a 7 day policy on seasonal products, people abuse return policies and just use things when they need them and return them. You see this all the time at Costco with people returning pools/patio heaters...stuff like that.
It is under warranty but what good is the warranty if they say your out of a product for the next 2 months minimum ... the grass needs cutting now and not in november(the time i might get it back by, but no promise)... I love Costco as they really stand behind there product... I am sure costco and other stores like walmart who have awesome customer product protection do not suffer as they force the manufacturer to provide consumers with this security and peace of mind of having a great product through there policies...
Deal Expert
Sep 3, 2007
16021 posts
391 upvotes
dariusz8 wrote: It is under warranty but what good is the warranty if they say your out of a product for the next 2 months minimum ... the grass needs cutting now and not in november(the time i might get it back by, but no promise)... I love Costco as they really stand behind there product... I am sure costco and other stores like walmart who have awesome customer product protection do not suffer as they force the manufacturer to provide consumers with this security and peace of mind of having a great product through there policies...
+1 on Costco, it's nice to know you can return something if it's busted or something. I never shop at CT, it's just such a shady place imo. I remember trying to return 5 day old bike, and they had 3-4 employees telling me they're not gonna refund it.
[OP]
Nov 15, 2006
194 posts
6 upvotes
Mississauga
dragon_drift wrote: +1 on costco, it's nice to know you can return something if it's busted or something. I never shop at CT, it's just such a shady place imo. I remember trying to return 5 day old bike, and they had 3-4 employees telling me they're not gonna refund it.
thats horrible... Costco, walmart and other stores alike make the manufacturer take the s*** end of the stick with there policy and not the consumer, which imo is the way to run bussiness... this makes the manufacturer provide its customer with a more reliable product.... the way Crappy tire runs it makes it seem all sales final and do not provide the customer with no security in the product which is sad...
Deal Addict
Jun 7, 2005
4373 posts
209 upvotes
dariusz8 wrote: It is under warranty but what good is the warranty if they say your out of a product for the next 2 months minimum ... the grass needs cutting now and not in november(the time i might get it back by, but no promise)... I love Costco as they really stand behind there product... I am sure costco and other stores like walmart who have awesome customer product protection do not suffer as they force the manufacturer to provide consumers with this security and peace of mind of having a great product through there policies...
Well you can stomp your feet and pout, or you can try to get your lawnmower fixed through the manufacturer. Some companies will surprise you with their service.

There is a reason CT is known as crappy tire.

Also (since you're being a bit immature), I bet if you go to the lawn mower area in the store there is a bunch of signs about their return policy on lawn mowers. You might have just missed them.
[OP]
Nov 15, 2006
194 posts
6 upvotes
Mississauga
Impossibles wrote: Well you can stomp your feet and pout, or you can try to get your lawnmower fixed through the manufacturer. Some companies will surprise you with their service.

There is a reason CT is known as crappy tire.

Also (since you're being a bit immature), I bet if you go to the lawn mower area in the store there is a bunch of signs about their return policy on lawn mowers. You might have just missed them.
Yup very surprised it takes 2 months minimum to get it fixed... and thats dropping it off directly to the repair depo. That puts me off till november... so i let my grass grow and forget about cutting it?? Thats why i thought the 90 days posted on back of reciept applies.. I would have probably just upgraded to a better mower. And as for signs instore... your more then welcome to look yourself for them as there are none stating a 7 day in store same lawnmower exchange policy. I am sure if they did it would deture many. So if one buys a lawn more that doesn't perform well and chokes up on little amounts of grass all you can do is exchange for the same model to find out that it also works like crap. $300 by far is nothing to stomp my feet about but enough for me to warn others about my problem so that they do not make a similar mistake... Crappy tire is horrible for returns as another member posted (re: bike). If signs were posted properly stating we won't take any of our defective products back, all sales final honestly how many would shop there?

On a side note i hate having to provide ID, address and phone number to do a simple unopend product return you bought recently. No where have i ever seen a store that gives so much issue on just about everything.

To add i am happy i learned about this policy now as oppossed to next year where i was looking forward to spending upto $4 thousand on a better end riding lawnmower :)
Apr 19, 2008
388 posts
15 upvotes
Burlington
If you're still unhappy, go higher. Don't settle for the front-line customer support at Canadian Tire. Ask to speak to their supervisor. And then their supervisor. If they stall you, track down the executive structure and send letters to the appropriate VP's, etc.

The one thing I've learned is that the squeeky wheel gets the grease.
Deal Expert
Aug 18, 2005
20881 posts
5455 upvotes
Burlington-Hamilton
Frankie3s wrote: I did buy oil at Canadian Tire last week and noticed that Canadian Tire now prints on their receipts that returns and exchanges are now at their discretion.

Meaning they don't have to honor anything and 90 days is nothing.
Damn, I guess that Canadian Tire is looking up to Bell Canada as its role model?
- casual gastronomist -
Deal Expert
Aug 9, 2004
22033 posts
684 upvotes
Newmarket
I think I would have taken the exchange. One bad mower doesnt mean they all are. Sounds like a confrontation between 2 hotheads made the situation worse than it had to be.

Unfortunately, the cheap sale prices CT often has on certain products may belie the quality of them. Get what you pay for in terms of quality and service sometimes with CT.
Deal Fanatic
Feb 26, 2008
5135 posts
53 upvotes
Impossibles wrote: Man, nothing working out for you, first your lawnmower now the enter key on your keyboard isn't working!! :evil:

Seriously,
people return pools at Costco?
like those above ground ones or just kiddie pools?
that is seriously odd....
Deal Addict
Mar 14, 2005
1793 posts
40 upvotes
Jucius Maximus wrote: Damn, I guess that Canadian Tire is looking up to Bell Canada as its role model?
Is it just me or is there a certain arrogance with Canadian based retailers and bad customer service/high prices and outright rudeness from staff. (Loblaws, Canadian Tire, Future Shop, Rona, The Brick just to name a few).

Especially compared to their international competitors in Canada (Costco, Lowes, Walmart, Ikea etc.) where they actually stand behind the products they sell!
Jun 15, 2009
234 posts
22 upvotes
Bradford
Jucius Maximus wrote: Damn, I guess that Canadian Tire is looking up to Bell Canada as its role model?
+1, I couldn't agree more.
Oct 11, 2007
345 posts
49 upvotes
xstatik wrote: Is it just me or is there a certain arrogance with Canadian based retailers and bad customer service/high prices and outright rudeness from staff. (Loblaws, Canadian Tire, Future Shop, Rona, The Brick just to name a few).

Especially compared to their international competitors in Canada (Costco, Lowes, Walmart, Ikea etc.) where they actually stand behind the products they sell!
Yep, that's the idea. They act like a spoiled child. Add Bell, Rogers and Telus to the list.
Deal Addict
Sep 17, 2008
1011 posts
104 upvotes
For those giving the OP a hard time about his presentation: get over yourselves and just don't reply. Really though, congratulations on being an internet bully/snob.

This is certainly a worthy warning to other consumers. Canadian Tire has many exceptions vis a vis the return period on certain items. This exceptions will not be displayed on your receipt, will not be made aware to you when you are making the purchase, and will only come up if you have a problem with the product. In terms of customer protection, this is a black hole in my opinion. If an item has a specific return policy, it should be printed on the receipt. However, as the OP suggest, I gather they hide their true policies as it might deter sales.

The bottom line is that Canadian Tire is a franchise business and their practices will vary store to store. You may get very good, or very poor service. Each store decides their return policy and exceptions.

If you do not have a trusting relationship with your local Canadian Tire, simply avoid large ticket items. I honestly do not think there is any other way around it. Frankly, you can easily be in the situation that a CSR on the floor tells you one thing, and the returns desk tells you another.
Deal Expert
Jun 14, 2003
23140 posts
193 upvotes
Crappy tire is like that. They change the policy whenever they feel like it. I bought a DVD player and it broke within a week. I took it back for refund.
They refused and for exchange only. I refused because the DVD player was too crappy and the replacement probably would break in 2 weeks. I have zero confidence to the product.

They said it is the policy. I pointed the policy posted above him did not say that. He said the policy for electronic is posted in the electronic department. I said I picked up the DVD player they stashed in the front entrance and there was no post. I asked for Manager and the manager stood behind that "policy". I said fine, give me a new one. :twisted:

Fortunately, they could not find one. They had to refund. :evil: :D

Hence, I try hard not to buy anything that I have a chance to return it from CT.

By the way, I could not find such policy posted in the electronic section later.
Too many people spend money they haven't earned to buy things they don't want, to impress people they don't like. -- Will Smith
Growing older is mandatory. Growing up is optional.
Stay hungry, stay foolish.

Thread Information

There is currently 1 user viewing this thread. (0 members and 1 guest)