Do Not Rehire

• Last Updated:
  • Jan 26th, 2011 12:34 am
Tags:
Jan 12, 2011
2 posts
Toronto

Do Not Rehire

I left an employer voluntarily. How do I know if they have flagged me as a 'Do Not Rehire' impacting my potential employment at other companies? Could I ask to see a copy of my personnel file? I appreciate any suggestions as I suspect that someone influential might have wrongfully done this. Thank you!
8 replies
Deal Fanatic
Feb 7, 2008
5861 posts
777 upvotes
Ottawa
thrifty100 wrote: I left an employer voluntarily. How do I know if they have flagged me as a 'Do Not Rehire' impacting my potential employment at other companies? Could I ask to see a copy of my personnel file? I appreciate any suggestions as I suspect that someone influential might have wrongfully done this. Thank you!

What do you mean? Why would other companies have access to your "personal files" from the other company?!?!

It's not like there is a master black list for all canadian companies to use to weed out the crappy employees...

Unless you want to get a job for the same company (or perhaps a company owned by the parent company of your previous employer), then you should be fine.
Sep 21, 2010
42 posts
2 upvotes
Toronto
nahh, there's no **** list at all. take it easy.

unless you have a criminal record, now that's a different story.
Dec 29, 2008
484 posts
24 upvotes
If a former employer is the cause of you not getting a certain position, they can be sued by you.

That's why companies are moving away from giving references.
Deal Addict
Nov 14, 2010
1090 posts
354 upvotes
Did you leave on good terms with your supervisor? Did you ask if you could use him as a reference? If in doubt get a friend to call and do a dummy reference check.
Deal Addict
Feb 11, 2009
1026 posts
294 upvotes
j0nny wrote:
That's why companies are moving away from giving references.

But they don't move away from requiring references :cry:

I used to work for one of the banks and was told by my manager that it was policy to only verify dates worked but that she'd say stuff anyways.
Another told me she would give a 'personal' reference.

Anywho, my first manager retired and was free to say whatever she wanted and my other was let go but got rehired at an accounting firm and was also free to say whatever she wanted when the time came.
Deal Guru
Nov 30, 2009
12178 posts
603 upvotes
Toronto
It only applies if you re-apply to the same company, and they have a flag on you (I know! lol).

When it comes to references, just use people you trust. :)
Nov 30, 2010
84 posts
8 upvotes
ottawa
LostInTruth wrote: It only applies if you re-apply to the same company, and they have a flag on you (I know! lol).

When it comes to references, just use people you trust. :)

Make that two! If deep down in your soul you dont feel at ease letting this person speak about you, substitute away from them if you can.

Thread Information

There is currently 1 user viewing this thread. (0 members and 1 guest)