• Feb 22nd, 2008 4:29 pm
Tags:
None
[OP]
Apr 3, 2006
738 posts
1 upvote

Do not Shop Tigerdirect.ca

So here is my story. I originally purchased an HP camera from best buy for 89.99 and after seeing this thread - http://www.redflagdeals.com/forums/show ... p?t=547495 - I decided to get the camera from Tiger Direct instead.

I ordered the Tiger Direct Camera (I had already received the one from best buy). Placed my Tiger Direct order on January 29, 2008. I logged in days later to check the status of my order before I returned the best buy camera to get a refund, status displayed 'SHIPPED', so I returned the camera thinking the chances of the package getting lost were slim to none.

Days later the package has not turned up so I log into my Tiger Direct account, since I needed my camera to take to Montreal with me and this is what I see:

[IMG]http://img91.imageshack.us/img91/5899/t ... tedbq5.jpg[/IMG]

So the first thing I did was call in to Tiger Direct and ask what was up with my order - since I had not received it and it showed both SHIPPED and CANCELLED.

I was told that they ran out of stock and the best thing they could do was give me free shipping on a comparable model (40-50$ more expensive). I explained my entire scenario and asked why it stated shipped and then later cancelled and he admitted it made no sense. I also asked him why I was never notified if my order was cancelled and after stuttering he said "It shows up here that you were notified - by mail" I explained that I checked my email regularly and never received anything and he said it was by REGULAR MAIL. Are you kidding me? They send out order cancellations by REGULAR MAIL when someone orders online? I'm calling lies on that one. By the way, I never received an order cancellation in the mail either to this day. He said I'd have to speak to a manager to escalate the issue - told me to call back at 9:30am.

I called back at 9:30am and waited on hold for 3 minutes and no PERSON even picked up (never mind a manager) so I resorted to email to follow up.

I asked for a comparable model at the same price in email and explained the inconvenience that was caused because I spent time returning a different model at best buy once the order was shown as shipped.

The response I received 6 days later:

"We apologize for any inconvenience. The reason this order was canceled was because we longer had this item in stock. Unfortunately we can not go below our cost for the replacement camera that you want. > TigerDirect.com and TigerDirect.ca are part of the same parent corporation but they operate individually and as separate companies. TigerDirect.com is U.S. based with U.S. offices, employees and warehouse facilities. TigerDirect.ca is a Canadian company with Canadian offices, Canadian employees and a warehouse which accepts returns from customers in Canada. As separate companies each has its own unique and specific costs of doing business. In many cases similar or even identical products are procured from different distributors, suppliers or vendors under different terms and costs. Delivery costs, duties, taxes, returns costs and provisions for warranty coverage all play a part in determining sales price as do operational costs ranging from employees salaries to facilities leases and overhead. Each of these costs varies by market and these variances may result in different sales prices for similar or even identical products. Sales prices may differ but Tigerdirect.com and TigerDirect.ca both exist to bring value to all our customers in each of the markets in which we operate."

Nowhere did they acknowledge the fact that they messed up with the shipped/cancelled and explain why that happened. Nor did the tell me why I was never notified that my order had been cancelled - had they done this, I would have kept the camera from best buy.

In my reply, I again expressed how dissatisfied I am especially about not getting a cancellation notice and the shipped/later cancelled status and said that it was very time consuming running around to return another camera to find this out - and I felt that allowing me to get a comparable camera at the same price would be most fair - especially considering that they are the ones who listed it as in stock at the time of my purchase when it wasn't, not me.

The is the brief reply I received from them where they quote me:

"I spent my time and money returning another camera to bestbuy which is no longer available on sale."

thisd was a choice issued by you as we have no involvement in the transaction between you and Best Buy

-Needless to say, they again failed to recognize the mistakes they made with their online system having it in stock, displaying it as shipped, not notifying me of cancellation, and then lying to me about a letter being sent to notify me.

I intend to let as many people as possible know about their poor customer service. Some of the cynics will probably blame me for returning the other camera I had, but I definitely don't think it's my fault they said my model had been shipped, and I certainly don't think charging me 50$ more with free shipping for essentially the same camera is a fair solution.
48 replies
Dec 31, 1969
I understand you are frustrated but...that's life dude. **** happens. Move on, it's not worth stressing about something so little, so much.

Lots of people, myself included have had good experiences with TigerDirect.
Deal Fanatic
Oct 15, 2007
5109 posts
2521 upvotes
did they charge your card? if they didnt who cares if they didnt notify you
[OP]
Apr 3, 2006
738 posts
1 upvote
selpats wrote: I understand you are frustrated but...that's life dude. **** happens. Move on, it's not worth stressing about something so little, so much.

Lots of people, myself included have had good experiences with TigerDirect.
**** happens and I deserve to be treated like **** and LIED to?
Deal Fanatic
Oct 15, 2007
5109 posts
2521 upvotes
wamrage wrote: **** happens and I deserve to be treated like **** and LIED to?
nobody says you deserve it...but it does happen...most comapnies dont give a crap about customers and thats the way it is...theres no use complaining to them because it will never get you anywhere...just let it go and move on

but thanks for your insight about their ****** company..i had dealt with their rebate system before and will never again myself
[OP]
Apr 3, 2006
738 posts
1 upvote
Red_Army wrote: did they charge your card? if they didnt who cares if they didnt notify you
Let's put this into perspective for you by giving a similar scenario.

It's your son's birthday and he really wants a PS3 or Wii.

You find a great deal on a PS3 so you buy it weeks in advance. Later, you find a better deal for a Wii, so you order one and once it has been confirmed that they are shipping it you, you return the PS3 to ensure you can get a refund.

Weeks go by, nobody calls you, nothing comes in the mail, and your order is suddenly cancelled even though it already said your item was shipped? You call and the company tells you they don't have the Wii anymore, but if you want the PS3 you can have it at a higher cost (and higher than what you paid the first time you bought it and returned it). Granted you can still get the original product again, you just wasted time and money returning it, and now you'll have to pay more for it than you did originally thanks to the error by the company who has decided to lie to you instead of making things right.

Yeah, you wouldn't be pissed at all.
[OP]
Apr 3, 2006
738 posts
1 upvote
Red_Army wrote: nobody says you deserve it...but it does happen...most comapnies dont give a crap about customers and thats the way it is...theres no use complaining to them because it will never get you anywhere...just let it go and move on

but thanks for your insight about their ****** company..i had dealt with their rebate system before and will never again myself
^^Ok so it appears you see where I'm coming from and the scenario wasn't necessary to get my point across.

I know that MOST companies don't care about the individual customer, so I figured I'd make more people aware of their practices to discourage others from buying tigerdirect. My brother recently shopped with them as well and it has been a nightmare.
Deal Fanatic
Oct 15, 2007
5109 posts
2521 upvotes
wamrage wrote: Let's put this into perspective for you by giving a similar scenario.

It's your son's birthday and he really wants a PS3 or Wii.

You find a great deal on a PS3 so you buy it weeks in advance. Later, you find a better deal for a Wii, so you order one and once it has been confirmed that they are shipping it you, you return the PS3 to ensure you can get a refund.

Weeks go by, nobody calls you, nothing comes in the mail, and your order is suddenly cancelled even though it already said your item was shipped? You call and the company tells you they don't have the Wii anymore, but if you want the PS3 you can have it at a higher cost (and higher than what you paid the first time you bought it and returned it). Granted you can still get the original product again, you just wasted time and money returning it, and now you'll have to pay more for it than you did originally thanks to the error by the company who has decided to lie to you instead of making things right.

Yeah, you wouldn't be pissed at all.
i completely understand your situation, but you didnt answer my question..did they charge your card??....
a situation like this would never happen to me because i would be checking the tracking information daily, because i know how shady these companies can be...hopefully now you know aswell
shipping is never confirmed unless they send you tracking

my question to you is..if they didnt charge your card, how would you not notice after weeks had went by?
Everything has been said before, but since nobody listens we have to keep going back and beginning all over again. - Andre Gide
Deal Fanatic
Oct 15, 2007
5109 posts
2521 upvotes
wamrage wrote: ^^Ok so it appears you see where I'm coming from and the scenario wasn't necessary to get my point across.

I know that MOST companies don't care about the individual customer, so I figured I'd make more people aware of their practices to discourage others from buying tigerdirect. My brother recently shopped with them as well and it has been a nightmare.
that is correct but the fact of the matter is situations like this happen with every company...so should we boycott shopping altogether?

you have said your peace and we thank you for warning us
Everything has been said before, but since nobody listens we have to keep going back and beginning all over again. - Andre Gide
[OP]
Apr 3, 2006
738 posts
1 upvote
Red_Army wrote: i completely understand your situation, but you didnt answer my question..did they charge your card??....
a situation like this would never happen to me because i would be checking the tracking information daily, because i know how shady these companies can be...hopefully now you know aswell
shipping is never confirmed unless they send you tracking

my question to you is..if they didnt charge your card, how would you not notice after weeks had went by?
I did not get the CC bill yet that it would have been on. I ordered on Jan. 29 I believe according to that screenshot, so I did not know if I was charged or not (I still don't have the bill)
[OP]
Apr 3, 2006
738 posts
1 upvote
Red_Army wrote: that is correct but the fact of the matter is situations like this happen with every company...so should we boycott shopping altogether?

you have said your peace and we thank you for warning us
I just think after hearing bad things about them myself and then ignoring them and getting a similar experience, others should know how poor their service is.

It's one thing to screw up, it's another to not admit/care that you screwed up big time, but it's ANOTHER thing to LIE and say you mailed a cancellation notice. That's the most absurd thing I've ever heard....what company notifies online customers that their order has been cancelled by paying for stamps/envelopes/going to the mailbox when email is free? Nobody. LIARS.
Deal Fanatic
Oct 15, 2007
5109 posts
2521 upvotes
wamrage wrote: I just think after hearing bad things about them myself and then ignoring them and getting a similar experience, others should know how poor their service is.

It's one thing to screw up, it's another to not admit/care that you screwed up big time, but it's ANOTHER thing to LIE and say you mailed a cancellation notice. That's the most absurd thing I've ever heard....what company notifies online customers that their order has been cancelled by paying for stamps/envelopes/going to the mailbox when email is free? Nobody. LIARS.
well how do you know they lied and hadnt mailed it to you...it has barely been 2 weeks
Deal Expert
May 22, 2005
19835 posts
5191 upvotes
Off the 404
Same thing happened to me, but the worse part is that they CHARGED me for $17.xx, and when I emailed, they said they didn't. I sent another email, with proof that they did charge me on Thursday, waiting on a reply...
[OP]
Apr 3, 2006
738 posts
1 upvote
Red_Army wrote: well how do you know they lied and hadnt mailed it to you...it has barely been 2 weeks
It has barely been 2 weeks, but I believe they are located in Richmond hill? I would've got it by now....pretty much from anywhere in Canada.

I will keep you posted, but I doubt anything is coming. How does it make any sense to mail out cancellation notices via regular mail to online customers? They like wasting time and money? Doubtful.
[OP]
Apr 3, 2006
738 posts
1 upvote
coriolis wrote: Same thing happened to me, but the worse part is that they CHARGED me for $17.xx, and when I emailed, they said they didn't. I sent another email, with proof that they did charge me on Thursday, waiting on a reply...
Charged you for what? A cancellation fee? ROFL, this gets so much better...can't wait till I get my credit card bill.