Personal Finance

Do PayPal Debts Appear On A Credit Report?

Deal Addict
Dec 31, 2006
1356 posts
254 upvotes
Paypal sucks. I doubt it will hit your credit report though. I had a similar thing happen to me but it was only for a couple hundred dollars. Clean credit reports.
Deal Addict
Sep 26, 2007
3960 posts
146 upvotes
SC
assuming you're not a verified member, probably not, you can just dispute it with the credit agencies and deny it's you. i mean besides name what evidence do they have to prove it's you?

for 8k, they might take you to court.

i assume your account's frozen, and making a new account will now be difficult.

nco will keep the pressure on you and harass you till no end, just tell them to piss off.
Deal Addict
May 13, 2005
3507 posts
3350 upvotes
Montreal
I don't see how Paypal sucks here...

1) OPs is a seller... selling a service $8000 to a buyer through Paypal...

2) Buyer paid OPs $8000 through Paypal

3) OPs withdraw $8000 from Paypal

4) Buyer not satisfy with the service and submit a Paypal dispute

5) Paypal dispute protocol will let OPs seller a chance to response to the dispute... However, OPs went away and not response to the dispute...

6) As Paypal dispute protocol, after certain time if one party not response to the dispute... Paypal will credit the money back to the other party (buyer)...

7) As the result, OPs Paypal account now negative -$8000

Nothing wrong with Paypal in this case... This is OPs problem not response to his buyer... Just imagine, if you buy a product from anyone and they don't bother to response to you after sold the product to you if there is a problem... How do you feel?

Since this is the OPs fault... He should refund $8000 that he withdraw from Paypal then go after/begging the buyer to give him the money for his service...
[OP]
Sep 30, 2008
26 posts
2 upvotes
Montreal
T3NSION wrote: Paypal sucks. I doubt it will hit your credit report though. I had a similar thing happen to me but it was only for a couple hundred dollars. Clean credit reports.
Were you PayPal Verified? I am.
Deal Addict
Sep 26, 2007
3960 posts
146 upvotes
SC
X360 wrote: I don't see how Paypal sucks here...
Since this is the OPs fault... He should refund $8000 that he withdraw from Paypal then go after/begging the buyer to give him the money for his service...
That makes sense only if the OP made 100% profit on providing that service.

Like maybe he's a roofer, and he had to buy all the materials and spend his time and labour doing a roof. and he was paid through paypal (for some odd reason). so he really is only making 1K profit. but then the idiot buyer does a chargeback and paypal gives him all his money back.

I think the op has a good case if he goes to court...provided his service was legal in nature...
[OP]
Sep 30, 2008
26 posts
2 upvotes
Montreal
X360 wrote: Nothing wrong with Paypal in this case... This is OPs problem not response to his buyer... Just imagine, if you buy a product from anyone and they don't bother to response to you after sold the product to you if there is a problem... How do you feel?

Sorry but you are totally off-topic. Most of your assumptions are incorrect and have nothing to do with the questions in my original post. There is no way you could possibly assume to know the facts related to the case, nor is this even the subject of this thread. If you have relevant factual or real-world experience with PayPal and Equifax, speak now.
xlfe wrote: That makes sense only if the OP made 100% profit on providing that service.

Like maybe he's a roofer, and he had to buy all the materials and spend his time and labour doing a roof. and he was paid through paypal (for some odd reason). so he really is only making 1K profit. but then the idiot buyer does a chargeback and paypal gives him all his money back.

I think the op has a good case if he goes to court...provided his service was legal in nature...
The person is in the USA, has no intention of paying, and is now unreachable. Going to court is more trouble than its worth.

Let's get back to the original topic guys--which is dealing with NCO/PayPal and effects on Equifax.
Deal Addict
Sep 26, 2007
3960 posts
146 upvotes
SC
curiousgeorge75 wrote: The person is in the USA, has no intention of paying, and is now unreachable. Going to court is more trouble than its worth.

Let's get back to the original topic guys--which is dealing with NCO/PayPal and effects on Equifax.
Actually i meant going to court with NCO.
Couldn't you just pay a little and actually see your Equifax report?
May 11, 2006
246 posts
13 upvotes
curiousgeorge75 wrote:
It doesn't matter whether it is NCO that reports the debt to Equifax or PayPal that reports the debt. I just need to know whether it can cause a negative mark on my credit report/score.

I asked them whether this debt was reportable to the credit bureau and they said YES and that YES it would negatively affect my credit score. They said they report after 6 months of non-payment.

I just don't know what to believe.

Anytime a corporation reports anything to the credit bureau for non-payment the result will not be to your benefit. It will have a negative impact on your score.

They could report you after 30 days for non-payment if they wanted to. It sounds like whoever you spoke to with NCO was very honest with you.
Deal Guru
May 29, 2006
10163 posts
2735 upvotes
Maybe the OP should tell us the full story, what hes selling, what the time lines are, how long was he gone.

Too many holes in this story.
Deal Addict
Oct 30, 2001
1125 posts
18 upvotes
rocking23nf wrote: Maybe the OP should tell us the full story, what hes selling, what the time lines are, how long was he gone.

Don't think the op is going to tell (probably sold a illegal "service" wink,wink) :twisted:
Deal Addict
Oct 4, 2009
2634 posts
1500 upvotes
Montreal
rocking23nf wrote: Maybe the OP should tell us the full story, what hes selling, what the time lines are, how long was he gone.

+1. Don't think anyone should help him until he gives us HIS SIDE of the full story.

Title is misleading as well, OP isn't out one red cent. He's up 8k for providing a mystery "service".
Deal Expert
May 30, 2005
44753 posts
5339 upvotes
Richmond Hill
From Google and from experience, nothing appears on your credit report from Paypal/NCO. That said, I didn't owe them $8k... only a couple hundred
Artisan woodworker crafting live edge tables, end grain cutting boards, and other home decor
Silver Coins | Philips Wake-Up Light with Radio | Heatware
Deal Addict
Dec 13, 2007
1634 posts
101 upvotes
Toronto
S5 wrote: +1. Don't think anyone should help him until he gives us HIS SIDE of the full story.

Title is misleading as well, OP isn't out one red cent. He's up 8k for providing a mystery "service".
OP, just hint, what kind of service WORTH 8K people buy over the internet and pay for using PayPal?
Deal Fanatic
Feb 19, 2010
6237 posts
2968 upvotes
rocking23nf wrote: I had debts go to collection around 10 years ago and they never got paid and its not on my file anymore

I owed newfoundland power around 300$

and I owed the cell company -I think rogers, around 250$.

I told them to sue me if they want, the calls and letters stopped. I get my report yearly from equifax, and none of it is on there.
What a heart-warming story. Thanks for being such a top-notch citizen by not paying your bills. You'll get what's coming to you one day.
[OP]
Sep 30, 2008
26 posts
2 upvotes
Montreal
Jon Lai wrote: From Google and from experience, nothing appears on your credit report from Paypal/NCO. That said, I didn't owe them $8k... only a couple hundred
The only info on Google is from people in the US, with US PayPal accounts. And in fact- while most people claim that it never appeared on their credit report, a few people claimed that it did. That's why I need to know.

My credit score is very high- never paid anything late for 18 years and I've been obsessive about maintaining it. So I have a strong interest in protecting it.
rocking23nf wrote: I owed newfoundland power around 300$

and I owed the cell company -I think rogers, around 250$.

I told them to sue me if they want, the calls and letters stopped. I get my report yearly from equifax, and none of it is on there.
LOL! For reasons stated above, I've never done anything like this. I don't think I ever could...I would get way too anxious- especially if the claim is legit.
Deal Addict
Sep 26, 2007
3960 posts
146 upvotes
SC
curiousgeorge75 wrote: My credit score is very high- never paid anything late for 18 years and I've been obsessive about maintaining it. So I have a strong interest in protecting it.
Apparently not obsessive enough if you let stuff like this happen.

I don't understand why you can't shell out a couple bucks to see your report.
If it's any indication of the quality of service you provide, you lost my sympathy.
Deal Guru
May 29, 2006
10163 posts
2735 upvotes
Conquistador wrote: What a heart-warming story. Thanks for being such a top-notch citizen by not paying your bills. You'll get what's coming to you one day.
Give me a break, I was 19, in school, student loans had run out, what do you do. Summer job making 5 bucks an hour didnt go far.
[OP]
Sep 30, 2008
26 posts
2 upvotes
Montreal
xlfe wrote: Apparently not obsessive enough if you let stuff like this happen.

I don't understand why you can't shell out a couple bucks to see your report.
If it's any indication of the quality of service you provide, you lost my sympathy.
<sigh> I've already seen my report. You haven't read the information I provided in my posts and your morality lessons are totally off-topic. If you have any real-world factual experience with PayPal and Equifax to contribute to this thread, speak now.
rocking23nf wrote: Give me a break, I was 19, in school, student loans had run out, what do you do. Summer job making 5 bucks an hour didnt go far.
Can you guys take this off-topic discussion elsewhere?
Deal Addict
Apr 2, 2007
1423 posts
63 upvotes
Toronto
Did you fullfil your end of this transaction? as in did you provide or sell the service you sold to this buyer?

If so, this is a "Refund" situation where you should be paying back funds that clearly no longer belong to you. So payback the $8,000 you owe to Paypal.

After reading through this... at no point did you mentioned if the "Service" you sold was used or performed. If the buyer was not happy with this "Service" did you state a return/refund policy?

Return the money you owe, minus the Paypal fees.

Lastly, who goes on vacation without checking their email?
Aug 24, 2009
112 posts
30 upvotes
Toronto
something is fishy with the OP, in my mind he probably deserved this as who the hell pays $8000 for a service over the internet? Most likely OP didn't lose anything. Probably went on vacation with that 8k profit thinking he pulled a great scam lol.. Must have been something shady..