Personal Finance

Do PayPal Debts Appear On A Credit Report?

Jul 22, 2015
281 posts
110 upvotes
Toronto, ON
deal_king wrote: This only applies to Ontario. I wouldn't advise anyone, including Ontario residents, to listen to this advice. Collection agencies have countless ways of avoiding and evading these laws, such as locating themselves in a place that doesn't have such restrictions.

The only true way you can protect yourself is to listen to curiousgeorge75's advice and never admit the debt is valid (in person, over the phone, in writing) and never admit you agreed to make a payment.
You are correct, the statement I made is in regards to Ontario residents. Not admitting to debt? If you have a valid debt and you want to clean up your credit report, you will need to validate yourself over the phone to negotiation a settlement agreement. If you are being harassed then sending a letter to the collection agency asking for validation of the debt will make them go away. Either way, If you have a valid debt and want to clean up your credit report then validating your debt/negotiating a settlement agreement over the phone will NOT reset the clock.
Mar 7, 2018
2 posts
Its simple. The debt collectors are not allowed to continue to demand payment from a person who claims to not owe the money, unless the agency first takes all reasonable steps to ensure that person does infact owe the money.

If they continue to harrass you after with out doing so, then it’s considered illegal lol.

Also depending on where you live in canada there is a window of opportunity where they can collect before it becomes illegal. If the debt is past the statue of limitations for your province. A collector cannot legally collect debt unless you admit to it in writing or make some form of payment.
Deal Addict
Nov 8, 2017
1496 posts
828 upvotes
Lol.
Tried to screw someone over, and got screwed over himself
Mar 7, 2018
2 posts
I would like to know at which point in time did you fax this letter? Was it within 30 days after recieving the first phone call from NCO collection agency?