Careers

Do people become cops to help others or because it gives them power?

• Last Updated:
  • Jun 29th, 2016 9:29 am
Tags:
None
[OP]
Oct 9, 2011
610 posts
312 upvotes
EAST YORK

Do people become cops to help others or because it gives them power?

Which one would you say is likelier, especially in this day and age?
45 replies
Deal Fanatic
Nov 1, 2006
8272 posts
2008 upvotes
Toronto
From this site:

... Both the police and firefighting cultures instill a sense of entitlement to power and authority over the rest of society....

... Police training especially is designed to strip the individual's previous identity and "make" a police officer. The police uniform, badge and gun are universal symbols of power and authority. When the individual puts on the uniform, he assumes the authority that goes with it. He expects and commands obedience and respect from the public. ...

... The police personality serves to insulate officers from the rest of society. It fosters an "us versus them" mentality. The cops are the good guys and everyone else is a potential bad guy. There is a constant power struggle between the good and bad guys. Police believe that societal order depends on the good guys winning — at any cost. When anyone challenges the police, the police defend their right to enforce control and authority.
Deal Addict
Feb 14, 2016
1754 posts
1176 upvotes
i wouldn't say power; more like stable and safe job where you can never get fired with unreasonably high pay compared to market rate;
Deal Guru
Mar 9, 2007
13891 posts
8987 upvotes
Think of the Childre…
Safe job? Never get fired?
JIB9022 wrote: i wouldn't say power; more like stable and safe job where you can never get fired with unreasonably high pay compared to market rate;

WOULD SOMEBODY THINK OF THE CHILDREN!!!
Jan 28, 2007
876 posts
68 upvotes
Job stability and the feeling of power would be the biggest factors.

Sadly it's rare for someone to go into a profession primarily to help others. That's what happens in a society treating humans as just another commodity which is what our world has turned into.
Deal Addict
Feb 14, 2016
1754 posts
1176 upvotes
Cheapo-Findo wrote: Safe job? Never get fired?
oh yea, I meant to say fired as in getting laid off;
but yea anyhow many Canadian cops actually get shot at? I'd say its pretty rare
Deal Fanatic
Nov 2, 2013
5531 posts
1416 upvotes
Edmonton, AB
In BC because the job market is so terrible, anything funded by the government is perceived as infinite job stability and people flock in herds to get their hands on such job.
Consultant, Operator/Trucker
  • Oilfield & Industrial Services, Road Construction
  • Tax & Finance
  • In the Western Canadian Oilfield since 2013
Deal Addict
Feb 14, 2016
1754 posts
1176 upvotes
wow, oh wow, I'm really surprised; thats so safe its not even funny;
From, 1961 to 2009; for 48 years, only 133 polices were murdered including all parts of Canada
They are way safer than what I expected, I'm speechless

you probably have higher chance of getting hurt from riding a bike in Toronto downtown for 1 year than being a cop for 50 years
Deal Addict
Feb 16, 2010
1088 posts
348 upvotes
JIB9022 wrote: wow, oh wow, I'm really surprised; thats so safe its not even funny;
From, 1961 to 2009; for 48 years, only 133 polices were murdered including all parts of Canada
They are way safer than what I expected, I'm speechless

you probably have higher chance of getting hurt from riding a bike in Toronto downtown for 1 year than being a cop for 50 years

Now you know why there is line up for winning this lottery. Meanwhile you have to pay more for CPP and work till you die, so politicians and unions can live large.
Deal Addict
Aug 19, 2007
1912 posts
82 upvotes
Mississauga
ironbrah wrote: Now you know why there is line up for winning this lottery. Meanwhile you have to pay more for CPP and work till you die, so politicians and unions can live large.
So how long have you been in line?
Deal Addict
Aug 19, 2007
1912 posts
82 upvotes
Mississauga
Jimbobs wrote: From this site:

... Both the police and firefighting cultures instill a sense of entitlement to power and authority over the rest of society....

... Police training especially is designed to strip the individual's previous identity and "make" a police officer. The police uniform, badge and gun are universal symbols of power and authority. When the individual puts on the uniform, he assumes the authority that goes with it. He expects and commands obedience and respect from the public. ...

... The police personality serves to insulate officers from the rest of society. It fosters an "us versus them" mentality. The cops are the good guys and everyone else is a potential bad guy. There is a constant power struggle between the good and bad guys. Police believe that societal order depends on the good guys winning — at any cost. When anyone challenges the police, the police defend their right to enforce control and authority.
Lol. Non biased site right there.
Deal Addict
Feb 14, 2016
1754 posts
1176 upvotes
A total of 1,439 law enforcement officers died in the line of duty during the past 10 years, an average of one death every 61 hours or 144 per year. There were 123 law enforcement officers killed in the line of duty in 2015.

http://www.nleomf.org/facts/enforcement ... google.ca/

123 officers killed in line of duty in 2015 in US;
I hope they get paid more than Canadian polices to be compensated for the risk

I have no hatred for police, but I just dont think current pay system is fair considering the market and other occupations
You get compensated for the amount of risk you put in, but cops pay is just way off;
Deal Addict
Oct 18, 2014
1967 posts
858 upvotes
HK
I've done work in Public Safety and my interactions are night and day different between when you interact with the cops in the streets rather in the office/police agency. They were very well-behaved around guys in suits, not really knowing whom we were.
Deal Guru
Mar 9, 2007
13891 posts
8987 upvotes
Think of the Childre…
NYPD after 5.5 years of service, $92k USD.
http://www.nypdrecruit.com/benefits-salary/overview
JIB9022 wrote: A total of 1,439 law enforcement officers died in the line of duty during the past 10 years, an average of one death every 61 hours or 144 per year. There were 123 law enforcement officers killed in the line of duty in 2015.

http://www.nleomf.org/facts/enforcement ... google.ca/

123 officers killed in line of duty in 2015 in US;
I hope they get paid more than Canadian polices to be compensated for the risk

I have no hatred for police, but I just dont think current pay system is fair considering the market and other occupations
You get compensated for the amount of risk you put in, but cops pay is just way off;

WOULD SOMEBODY THINK OF THE CHILDREN!!!
Deal Fanatic
Sep 23, 2009
5059 posts
2244 upvotes
JIB9022 wrote: i wouldn't say power; more like stable and safe job where you can never get fired with unreasonably high pay compared to market rate;
You just described 99% of government jobs.
Deal Addict
Feb 16, 2010
1088 posts
348 upvotes
fido1984 wrote: So how long have you been in line?
Not in line.I would probably get rejected during an interview due to high IQ. Also I don't have uncle / dad working there.
Jan 28, 2007
876 posts
68 upvotes
ironbrah wrote: Not in line.I would probably get rejected during an interview due to high IQ. Also I don't have uncle / dad working there.
Cold harsh truth.
Dec 16, 2014
887 posts
475 upvotes
Easter Island
McKinsey wrote: I've done work in Public Safety and my interactions are night and day different between when you interact with the cops in the streets rather in the office/police agency. They were very well-behaved around guys in suits, not really knowing whom we were.
Because they get intimidated around real professionals, cops are scared of lawyers. But in general, they're bullies, typical lowlife mentality