Expired Group Deals

Do People Buy Anything Just Because of Group Deal Sites

• Last Updated:
  • Jan 31st, 2019 1:53 pm
Tags:
None

Poll: I find Group Deal Websites to be:

• Total votes: 0. You have voted on this poll.
Deal Addict
Mar 11, 2006
1402 posts
312 upvotes
GTA

Do People Buy Anything Just Because of Group Deal Sites

Given the crazy number of deals and sites now tied to Group Deals and some of the ridiculous things they offer, I have begun to wonder of late whether the phenomenon has reached its peak. And what do we now think about it all? Is this the TV infomercial equivalent of the 21st century?

So please vote on the following...

I find Group Deal Websites to be:
-an excellent, risk free way to discover and try unique products at great prices
-a good way to try out some quality products if you investigate prices & company reputations
-a so-so marketing scheme for financially troubled businesses, where consumers rarely benefit
-a high risk marketing channel for companies to sell their junk to large groups of consumers
17 replies
Deal Addict
Jan 26, 2007
3146 posts
1489 upvotes
I mostly use the group deal sites for local restaurants: I don't understand why my favourite places offer the half-price or better offers repeatedly, because they're great deals on things I would otherwise buy anyway (but less frequently).

I've certainly discovered a few establishments that I wasn't aware of (there's a Krispy Kreme store at Bathurst and Harbord?!) and tried some restaurants I've thought about going to but never got around to (Focaccia on Hayden) but I'd say that I haven't come across any deal that made me aware of an establishment that I wasn't aware of before that I expect to become a regular patron of.

It is nice to try new places but I am not sure these group deals accomplish what they're supposed to: turn strangers into regular customers... well, unless you count the repeated group deal purchase. Some of these places I hold out for the next group deal, because they're not really handling them properly. If it were me, I'd offer a group deal on a very specific and limited item (but a GREAT deal worth trying) to get new customers, and not repeat the same deal so that customers wouldn't rely too much on the coupons and not buy my product or service otherwise.
There is no god. But it still feels good to be kind to people, animals, and the environment, so keep doing that.
Deal Fanatic
Oct 27, 2008
6964 posts
65 upvotes
Ottawa
I also primarily use them for restaurants.

I have gotten deals from places I have been before, I have gotten deals on places I had wanted to try but hadn't done so yet, and I have been made aware of places I didn't even know existed. Would I become a 'regular' at some of them? Probably not. Will I eat there from time to time? Sure. So yes, I will go back to some of them and pay full price in the future. Some of them I enjoyed but wouldn't pay full price for what I got.
Deal Addict
Sep 10, 2007
3393 posts
641 upvotes
Cowtown
I use those sites to grab good deals on the stuff I'd buy anyway (mostly food items ie. restaurants). Make sure to read the fine prints, as there are location, time, availability, appointment restrictions which can easily kill the deal.

I find them a really good in regards to try out some new products and services. I usually dont return to buy from that place again, because actual/real prices (without group deal) are just too high.
Your mental health matters. Every step you take towards self-care and seeking support is a powerful investment in your well-being. You have the strength and resilience to overcome any challenges and thrive in your journey towards better mental health
Deal Addict
Nov 26, 2007
1226 posts
130 upvotes
Barrie/Toronto
I mostly only buy for food as well. I have to sift through all the spa crap, I've never bought any of those & probably won't!

I tend not to go back to the places I had vouchers for, since the regular prices are way too high.
My Ebay items for sale: HERE! :)
Nov 19, 2010
63 posts
13 upvotes
I've used these group buy deals for restaurants, yes. Usually to try out new places. Some of the places I've tried because of the deals, I liked and would return to, others not so much (low quality food and/or service isn't an attractor for me).

The best deals I used, though, were definitely the ones for salon services that I usually put off too long. :) I mean, 100 dollars for laser hair reduction instead of 500? I'll take that! :)

I have been thoroughly satisfied with most of the vouchers I've purchased. The couple of times that I ran into snags (refusal on the business' part to let me use the voucher; and once a restaurant going out of business) - I contacted the admins and they resolved the issues for me.

There was only one case (The Butchers? That organic meats place near Yonge/Eglinton?) that I felt the seller really sold way too many vouchers on far too many sites and then was harassing the voucher holders instead of holding up his end of the bargain.

I've spoken to the business owners when using my vouchers, and the responses seem mixed - some said it was a great way for targeted, local exposure and repeated, loyal clientele compared to traditional marketing methods. Others found it ate too deeply into their profits - I suspect those businesses hadn't done a cost-benefit analysis before jumping in to making the deals - did you know that the group buy sites typically charge 50% of the income as their commission? So if a place is giving you a 50% discount on listed prices, the business itself is actually taking a 75% "loss" off the list price!

Speaking as a customer, though, in general, I'm really enjoying the group-discounts we're getting here in Toronto! :) More bang for my discretionary spending buck.
Apr 27, 2011
9 posts
29 upvotes
TORONTO
My problem is the impulse buying part.

I keep thinking I'm going to use them, especially the gym ones.

I still have not done a single Yoga session from myenergyexchange from the Fabfind deal I bought in Jan.
But I finally went in to Wynn fitness from the Teambuy deal I bought ages ago, so there is hope for me an Yoga yet!
Deal Addict
Aug 15, 2006
4042 posts
1202 upvotes
Kingston
Group buys are good to try things you would never normally try.

I have never done paintball, but a month or so back, GroupOn had a deal for $20 with 200 paintballs and free equipment. So I called a few buddies and asked if they wanted in on the deal?

Another one was teeth whitening. I would never pay $100+ for a teeth whitening kit, but I would pay $30 (which supposedly has a value of $120) for one.

I also bought a hockey equipment fresh cleaning for $10 (normally $45), so there is good deals here and there.

However, ppl have to use common sense too. You don't just buy anything and everything because there is a group buy. You have to think if there is value to it and would you actually use it.

I will probably start looking restaurants now, but here in Kingston there isn't the selection that there is in say Toronto, Ottawa, Montreal, etc
Deal Addict
Jun 7, 2005
2963 posts
388 upvotes
best example of NOT to buy is those stupid iphone gloves that kept showing up, selling for like $20 bucks, claiming it worth what, $60 or some ridiculous amount?!

Deal extreme sell these gloves for 2 bucks guys

So just because it's group "deal" not mean it is actually any deal at all
Look here
Deal Expert
Jan 17, 2009
24224 posts
43247 upvotes
ONTARIO
Raead wrote: best example of NOT to buy is those stupid iphone gloves that kept showing up, selling for like $20 bucks, claiming it worth what, $60 or some ridiculous amount?!

Deal extreme sell these gloves for 2 bucks guys

So just because it's group "deal" not mean it is actually any deal at all

lol i ordered 4 pairs of those on wagjag, paid $0 using free vouchers. They were advertised as $15 for $31 pair of gloves. Sure it's nice that you can use your touch screen device with them on but definitely not worth $15 they were advertising let alone $31! Maybe $2-$3 tops. Just glad they were free as I plan to use them as stocking stuffers next winter.
Deal Fanatic
Sep 23, 2007
5654 posts
2168 upvotes
I tend to stick with restaurants because they are great for socializing and they are something I'd do normally. And I only pick restaurants located in areas I frequent.

Got to be careful with how they label the discounts. It's rarely the 50% they claim. $5 for $10 is really just $5 off. If your bill comes out to be $20, you are paying $5 + 10 which is just 25% off. Some times, these deals are from overpriced restaurants. Sure, you paid $25 for $50 of food, but you could have gotten the same thing elsewhere for $20 anyways. For the fancy restaurants, the tax + tip is usually not included and when you add it up, I find it usually costs me more than I thought I'd save. The worst offender was a coupon that was $1 for $10 of food. They labeled it as 90% off but if you read the fine print, you need to spend $20 to use the coupon and it must be dine in. So it's just $9 off basically which is less than 50%.

I think these group deal sites are excellent. It's win-win for everyone. You get my money (which I otherwise probably would not have spent), and I try something of my choosing at a discount.
Jul 5, 2010
150 posts
11 upvotes
Toronto
DealCanada wrote: My problem is the impulse buying part.

I keep thinking I'm going to use them, especially the gym ones.

I still have not done a single Yoga session from myenergyexchange from the Fabfind deal I bought in Jan.
But I finally went in to Wynn fitness from the Teambuy deal I bought ages ago, so there is hope for me an Yoga yet!

I'm guilty of this as well ;)

When you do go to energyXchange, be sure to let us know how you liked it!
Deal Fanatic
Feb 26, 2008
5135 posts
55 upvotes
I mainly buy restaurant and food deals like bakeries.

But have bought some dance lessons at 3 different places and will continue the dance classes at two of the places I think.
I had heard of the dance schools before,but did not know what classes they offered.

I do see a lot of somewhat scammy deals though....like what is up with all these "detox footbath" deals lately.
Deal Fanatic
Dec 27, 2007
8251 posts
5752 upvotes
I tend to stick to restaurants and bars
But I also bought a voucher for a bluetooth earpiece which was a very good price..........unfortunately the device fell out of my pocket when I parked my car at home and 2 days later I noticed that it had been run over on my driveway.......doh! Hoping that deal shows up again haha
May 7, 2007
41 posts
7 upvotes
Toronto
I found out local restaurants, hotels & activities are great to buy from group deal. But beware about their not generous refund policy. Groupon is the most terrible for after 3 days refund policy, they enforce you to re-purchased with 24 hours, and the discount value only good for 90 days, while buytopia is doing better than them offering 120 days, and the refund credit have no expire date. So, comparing to most of the big-brand-stores no-asking 90 days refund, group deals are much more resticted, be awake. Make 200% sure b4 you buy and dont conside of doing refund.
Deal Addict
Sep 2, 2010
1775 posts
823 upvotes
Bummer's Roost
aliikram wrote: Given the crazy number of deals and sites now tied to Group Deals and some of the ridiculous things they offer, I have begun to wonder of late whether the phenomenon has reached its peak. And what do we now think about it all? Is this the TV infomercial equivalent of the 21st century?

Well, much time has passed since this post. I too wonder if the phenomenon is on a downward trend. I found it great for a while, but a hotel "deal" that had too many uncertainties killed my desire to waste time, risk money and then be stressed I would get what seemed to be promoted.
Deal Fanatic
Mar 21, 2010
6737 posts
3998 upvotes
Toronto
I don't really look at them much anymore. My experience has been that most products are hugely marked up so that the discount looks like a deal (similar to sales on luggage... regular price $899), and that most services give you what you pay for i.e. make you tell them upfront that you're going to use a voucher, so that they can treat you like a second class customer. I feel like in many cases, there's a reason that these things have to be discounted to sell, and that the group deal price is much closer to what the actual price should be.

Thread Information

There is currently 1 user viewing this thread. (0 members and 1 guest)