Off Topic

Do the police have free access to Facebook accounts?

• Last Updated:
  • Jan 22nd, 2017 9:25 am
[OP]
Deal Guru
Mar 14, 2005
12590 posts
1958 upvotes
City of Vancouver

Do the police have free access to Facebook accounts?

If you have strict privacy settings on your FB account, do the cops still have free access to everything in your account without your knowledge?
29 replies
Deal Expert
Dec 26, 2005
16460 posts
1519 upvotes
Thornhill
I would suspect they'd at least need a warrant. After that, I'm not sure if FB would cooperate with them.

bjl
What we do in life echoes in Eternity... and in Google cache.
RFD discounts for Schluter products
[OP]
Deal Guru
Mar 14, 2005
12590 posts
1958 upvotes
City of Vancouver
Do they need a warrant to access your cell phone records?
De gustibus non est disputandum
Deal Addict
Aug 23, 2006
3153 posts
207 upvotes
Becks wrote:
Jan 20th, 2017 4:19 pm
If you have strict privacy settings on your FB account, do the cops still have free access to everything in your account without your knowledge?
No. may be CSIS.
“There are some things money can’t buy, and for everything else there’s MasterCard. Well, get out your checkbooks ladies and gentlemen, because it seems like the entire liberal cabinet can be bought. TRUDEAU: I CAN’T BE BOUGHT...LMAO. Because its 2017
Deal Expert
May 10, 2005
33483 posts
7524 upvotes
Ottawa
Becks wrote:
Jan 20th, 2017 4:32 pm
No
"A December 2014 decision by the Supreme Court of Canada allows the police to search some information in cell phones without a warrant when making an arrest. This controversial ruling is the first to consider cell phones as part of a search relating to an arrest.Mar 16, 2015"
https://pencanada.ca/news/can-the-polic ... -my-phone/
Best line I have heard in a very long time LOL "I don't argue....I educate." Anonymous
Deal Addict
Dec 15, 2011
3049 posts
630 upvotes
Messerschmitt wrote:
Jan 20th, 2017 5:19 pm
Stop doing naughty things. You will get caught
I thinks it too late. Op seems very nervous with all these questions.

Op, you have nothing to worry about. Just walk into the Police Department and admit it. First step in healing is admittance.
Deal Expert
Dec 7, 2012
32228 posts
8515 upvotes
GTHA
Becks wrote:
Jan 20th, 2017 4:19 pm
Facebook does not have to notify you when cops access your information stored on their servers.

from https://www.facebook.com/about/privacy/#

How do we respond to legal requests or prevent harm?

We may access, preserve and share your information in response to a legal request (like a search warrant, court order or subpoena) if we have a good faith belief that the law requires us to do so. This may include responding to legal requests from jurisdictions outside of the United States where we have a good faith belief that the response is required by law in that jurisdiction, affects users in that jurisdiction, and is consistent with internationally recognized standards. We may also access, preserve and share information when we have a good faith belief it is necessary to: detect, prevent and address fraud and other illegal activity; to protect ourselves, you and others, including as part of investigations; or to prevent death or imminent bodily harm. For example, we may provide information to third-party partners about the reliability of your account to prevent fraud and abuse on and off of our Services. Information we receive about you, including financial transaction data related to purchases made with Facebook, may be accessed, processed and retained for an extended period of time when it is the subject of a legal request or obligation, governmental investigation, or investigations concerning possible violations of our terms or policies, or otherwise to prevent harm. We also may retain information from accounts disabled for violations of our terms for at least a year to prevent repeat abuse or other violations of our terms.

Becks wrote:
A court order/warrant and 'government requirement letter' is needed to access cell phone records

from http://www.rogers.com/consumer/privacy-crtc

TYPES OF REQUESTS
2. Court order/warrant:
Legal authority: Issued under the Criminal Code or other Canadian law.

Details: A court order or warrant includes production orders, summons, subpoenas, and search warrants issued by a judge or other judicial officer. It compels us to provide customer information to police or other authorities, or to attend court to provide evidence/testimony about customer information.

Examples of info provided: Customer account information like name and address, payment history, billing records, and/or call records.

2. Government requirement letter:
Legal authority: Issued under laws such as the Customs Act or Income Tax Act.

Details: An order that compels us to provide customer information to the requesting agency.

Examples of info provided: Customer account information like payment history, billing records, and/or call records.
Jul 5, 2004
23826 posts
3386 upvotes
Nothing is secure on the internet. If the police want to see what is in your Facebook account, they will.
Deal Expert
Dec 26, 2005
16460 posts
1519 upvotes
Thornhill
Becks wrote:
Okay Becks, what exactly did you do this time?

bjl
What we do in life echoes in Eternity... and in Google cache.
RFD discounts for Schluter products
Deal Guru
Dec 7, 2009
13794 posts
1304 upvotes
A better question is what standard Facebook holds your privacy to. In a customer-focused world, they would do what Teksavvy did when the government tried to sneak in the back door to acquire their customer info. They told their customers and fought the court orders. I'm not suggesting this was completely altruistic, as Teksavvy likely didn't want a reputation of spying on its customers, just like Apple doesn't want to build a back door to their phones which makes having encryption pointless.

I imagine Facebook has similar considerations although they have a somewhat more captive audience.
In a perfect system, corporations would fear the government and the government would fear the people. - David Wong

Check out caRpetbomBer's picks in this thread.
Deal Expert
Jul 22, 2006
21644 posts
2368 upvotes
Cross Device Identity
Cross-device identity matching is the way marketers try to map devices and browsers to the same consumer to improve personalization and measurement.
http://blogs.gartner.com/martin-kihn/ho ... ks-part-2/

For example. If you put in your real mobile # into those various social media sites, you put a real name to digital face... So Facebook isn't the only thing you need to worry about, CSIS knows all
Deal Fanatic
Jan 14, 2004
9420 posts
536 upvotes
Markham
Pro tip: Don't post cool pics of yourself doing drugs.
:lol:
Deal Expert
Jul 22, 2006
21644 posts
2368 upvotes
Hairball wrote:
Jan 20th, 2017 11:27 pm
Pro tip: Don't post cool pics of yourself doing drugs.
Or videos