Off Topic

Do the police have free access to Facebook accounts?

  • Last Updated:
  • Jan 22nd, 2017 9:25 am
Deal Fanatic
User avatar
Dec 27, 2007
9136 posts
2088 upvotes
Trump Uni Dropout
Just act online how you would act in real life in front of someone

You have a bigger footprint online then in real life.

It's like the saying goes - The faintest ink is better than the best memory.

Whatever you say online is like ink, whatever you say in real life is more subject to memory
You only live twice ǝɔᴉʍʇ 😎
Deal Fanatic
User avatar
Aug 16, 2010
6352 posts
3266 upvotes
Aurora
Question should be, does poliice have LEGAL access. Because anyone has access to anyone's online presence if the hacking skills are there. NSA (per Snowden) had pretty thorough access. Was it legal?
Banned
Oct 27, 2016
192 posts
44 upvotes
I don't think they can. Facebook, is your personal account. Only facebook should be able to see your privacy policies (if you haven't shared it with other non-trusted sites or apps).
Deal Addict
User avatar
Sep 23, 2009
4977 posts
2093 upvotes
DiceMan wrote: Question should be, does poliice have LEGAL access. Because anyone has access to anyone's online presence if the hacking skills are there. NSA (per Snowden) had pretty thorough access. Was it legal?
Depends on whether you think the majority's right to life is more important than an individual's perceived right to privacy on the internet where they plan and plot the ending of the lives of the majority.

What if an act could be stopped before it happened but it wasn't because "Freedom" and "Privacy"?

Yes, the majority is not doing nefarious things, but they still need protection from certain elements.

Yeah, it's kind of Big Brother stuff.

But some things are done for the greater good.

Just need people to monitor the monitors of the monitors of the monitors (etc) to make sure that information isn't being misused.

What's strange is that people will complain about this and yet they never say anything about how Google has decided which ads to show people.
Deal Guru
User avatar
Dec 7, 2009
13823 posts
1335 upvotes
DiceMan wrote: Question should be, does poliice have LEGAL access. Because anyone has access to anyone's online presence if the hacking skills are there. NSA (per Snowden) had pretty thorough access. Was it legal?
That's entirely up to Facebook. They could build a back door for authorities to log in and spy on people if they wanted to, and if they kept it under wraps, nobody would know. Would they do that? I hope not.
In a perfect system, corporations would fear the government and the government would fear the people. - David Wong

Check out caRpetbomBer's picks in this thread.
Deal Fanatic
User avatar
Dec 28, 2007
7939 posts
4340 upvotes
Alberta
Messerschmitt wrote: Stop doing naughty things. You will get caught
Yep, what's the OP trying to hide is the first thing that comes to mind. lol
Deal Expert
User avatar
Aug 18, 2005
19584 posts
4190 upvotes
Burlington-Hamilton
Maybe the Canadian police need a warrant, but there's reportedly been cases of US Government agencies looking up private Facebook information and then bringing it up in job interviews.

Looks like the original article is no longer up, but here's another older post referring to it: https://slashdot.org/story/06/07/11/183 ... ok-privacy
- Casual Gastronomist -
[OP]
Deal Guru
User avatar
Mar 14, 2005
13103 posts
2187 upvotes
City of Vancouver
jackrabbit000 wrote: Yep, what's the OP trying to hide is the first thing that comes to mind. lol
I'm an outstanding citizen!!
Deal Guru
User avatar
Sep 21, 2010
13649 posts
3697 upvotes
Montréal
Corleone187 wrote: Just act online how you would act in real life in front of someone

You have a bigger footprint online then in real life.

It's like the saying goes - The faintest ink is better than the best memory.

Whatever you say online is like ink, whatever you say in real life is more subject to memory
+9999999

That's why I find it hilarious when ppl use their FB accounts acting like Xs debating ppl. Like we don't know who they are lol. It's bad enough here but at least there's some anonymity but using *FB*? That's just asking for it.
The richest 1% of this country owns half our country’s wealth, 5 trillion dollars, one-third of that comes from hard work, two-thirds comes from inheritance, interest on interest accumulating to widows and idiot sons, and what I do.. <find the rest>
Deal Fanatic
User avatar
Sep 14, 2006
8589 posts
1299 upvotes
Keep in mind that Facebook is public no matter how private you set your account to be. If you're afraid the cops are going to see pics of you smoking up, then don't post it.
TEAM CANADA!!!!!!!!!!!
[OP]
Deal Guru
User avatar
Mar 14, 2005
13103 posts
2187 upvotes
City of Vancouver
I don't think the local police care at all about you doing drugs in your FB pics. After all, drug use is now looked upon more as a "health" issue.
De gustibus non est disputandum
Reverse dysfunction one step at a time.
Deal Expert
Dec 4, 2010
18989 posts
1995 upvotes
Quarantine Bubble
I wouldn't put it past yellowpaages doing the same to us on here. There is just no expectation of privacy anywhere these days. If you are doing naughty things then stop.

I heard prison is a scary place.

I wonder how many Rfders have demons and skeletons in their closet...

I hate Facebook. I have coworkers from.10 years ago wishing me happy birthdays and stuff but I haven't reciprocated them in as many years... Geylt a clue, idiots.
Deal Expert
Dec 4, 2010
18989 posts
1995 upvotes
Quarantine Bubble
Jucius Maximus wrote: Maybe the Canadian police need a warrant, but there's reportedly been cases of US Government agencies looking up private Facebook information and then bringing it up in job interviews.

Looks like the original article is no longer up, but here's another older post referring to it: https://slashdot.org/story/06/07/11/183 ... ok-privacy
I think those are due to exigent circumstances like a murder plot or terrorist bombing either in the making or after the fact. Then again, always assume the worst. These companies are definitely in bed with the government's.

Everyone laughs it off as some conspiracy fantasy but snowden and Julian assange would beg to differ.
Deal Expert
Dec 4, 2010
18989 posts
1995 upvotes
Quarantine Bubble
Becks wrote: I don't think the local police care at all about you doing drugs in your FB pics. After all, drug use is now looked upon more as a "health" issue.
So you're smoking weed without a doctors note then?

Just recently watched a documentary on youtube on meth. These people are doing it in lieu of coke and other party drugs of yesteryear. I just don't see the appeal but then again I have ran into the comforting arms of porn and junk food for escspe so who am o to judge.
Deal Addict
Jan 2, 2005
4960 posts
685 upvotes
Becks wrote: Do they need a warrant to access your cell phone records?
If its related to an immediate, ongoing investigation no. If it's in the past, yes.

Top