Parenting & Family

Do public/catholic schools use TV often in JK/SK and elementary grades?

• Last Updated:
  • Jan 14th, 2023 12:08 pm
Tags:
Dec 9, 2022
2 posts
1 upvote

Do public/catholic schools use TV often in JK/SK and elementary grades?

I visited one of the private schools in Toronto and was told they now use an interactive screen as a substitute for the black board we had back in the day...
*SHOCKED because I've been trying to limit the screen time for my child as she's had a chronic eye condition... Which will worsen if she watches too much TV / any electronic devices.

We're not enrolled in any schools at the moment but we are next year for JK, now considering catholic/public over private as they might have less "advanced" facilities... I like the chalkboard/projector idea over the TV.

Anybody has any thoughts to share?
12 replies
Deal Expert
Feb 7, 2017
27765 posts
27801 upvotes
Eastern Ontario
helenaire wrote: I visited one of the private schools in Toronto and was told they now use an interactive screen as a substitute for the black board we had back in the day...
*SHOCKED because I've been trying to limit the screen time for my child as she's had a chronic eye condition... Which will worsen if she watches too much TV / any electronic devices.

We're not enrolled in any schools at the moment but we are next year for JK, now considering catholic/public over private as they might have less "advanced" facilities... I like the chalkboard/projector idea over the TV.

One of my grown children did some of their HS education at a Private School in the 1990s
As in … over 20 years ago

The black board was on its way out then
Smart Boards & EBoards were growing in popularity

Technology is where it’s at in today’s education system
If you think you are going to shroud your kid from it
I think you are mistaken

Education evolves with the times
When I was a kid, all the desks had inkwell holes
But inkwells were long gone
We were taught to write in cursive with the newly introduced Parker Cartridge Fountain Pens
And my kids in turn decades later … with Ballpoint Pens, Gel Pens, and Rollerballs

C’est la vie

You & your kid will adapt
Deal Fanatic
Jan 11, 2020
7187 posts
5619 upvotes
Thornhill
Is it a TV or is it an interactive whiteboard? They're very different...

I think most classes have replaced blackboards with whiteboards (dry erase markers), and now have an interactive whiteboard (which is a projector that can detect pen movements).

If your child has vision issues, talk to admin about accessibility & accommodations...
Deal Addict
Jun 18, 2020
4224 posts
5534 upvotes
Public/cath school principals will mostly have a goal of getting these screens in every classroom. It's only budgets holding them back, since they're thousands to buy. See this link for info on one brand of these boards.

https://www.prometheanworld.com/en/

I'd def note your concerns with school admin, when you register which will be before the current school ends for many. Medical conditions can be accommodated That's the term you would use, your child needs an accommodation. This means they will receive the same curriculum based lesson, but in another form.
Deal Addict
Aug 26, 2004
3723 posts
869 upvotes
Toronto
My before and after care wants to use a Nintendo Switch for "educational purposes".
Deal Addict
Dec 27, 2013
3731 posts
1526 upvotes
Woodbridge
helenaire wrote: I visited one of the private schools in Toronto and was told they now use an interactive screen as a substitute for the black board we had back in the day...

I can only speak to my experience in YRDSB, but all of our classrooms have a whiteboard/projector. Does it matter that it's a screen reflecting light from a projector, rather than producing its own light like a TV? I'd talk to your child's eye doctor and see what they recommend, then take those recommendations to the teacher. They may have your daughter sit further back, they teacher might reduce the brightness on the projector, or they might provide a printout of the information. If the projector is fine, but iPads are not, that would be useful information as well. Our kindergarten classes have a set of iPads that they use from time to time as a centre.

If you have trouble securing the accommodations that your child's doctor recommends, I would connect with school admin and a Special Education Resource Teacher. Your child's diagnosis may allow for the identification of an exceptionally under the Physical - Blind and Low Vision category and the development of an IEP. If so, the teacher is legally required to provide the accommodations listed on the IEP.
Deal Expert
Jul 5, 2004
27438 posts
6807 upvotes
My kids classes have always had both a TV and tablets in the classrooms.
Deal Addict
Jan 2, 2015
2854 posts
2860 upvotes
NOT centre of Univer…

I would personally be concerned if the school wasn't moving to SMART boards and away from chalkboards. Whiteboards should still be around. This would show severe underfunding to keep up with technology and the times. Technology at home is different than technology in a work or school environment. There are so many materials and ways of learning that have changed since we were younger. Keep in mind, having a SMART board doesn't mean that they are always teaching from there. We went from a school with very little to technology to a science school. I call tell you there's a huge difference. My oldest had to do 'coding' on a piece of paper and write logic commands, my youngest got to code little robot spheres. Though the use of videos and media can really help with learning and understanding. A projector will not do the same.

If your child has an eye condition, speak with your doctors and optometrist to see what can be done to minimize impacts. My friend's kid has special glasses to help with her eye condition.
On a 'smart' device that isn't always so smart. So please forgive the autocorrects and typos. If it bothers you, then don't read my posts, but don't waste my time correcting me. If you can get past the typos, then my posts generally have some value.
Deal Fanatic
Jun 24, 2015
8520 posts
2941 upvotes
0 downvotes
Its not a TV any more, it is a Screen with a Projector.
Supermarket worker at Fortino's
I'm Not a Wise Guy but more of a Good Fella~!
Drive an Escalade
Jan 4, 2023
4 posts
2 upvotes
My kid goes to a Montessori school; in Montessori, they neither use blackboards nor whiteboards. It's a different method of learning. They also don't use screens, except by elementary and older kids for research purposes. You can go here to find the Montessori school close to you: https://www.ccma.ca/parents/
Deal Addict
Jan 26, 2017
1859 posts
2808 upvotes
bruixa wrote: My kid goes to a Montessori school; in Montessori, they neither use blackboards nor whiteboards. It's a different method of learning. They also don't use screens, except by elementary and older kids for research purposes. You can go here to find the Montessori school close to you: https://www.ccma.ca/parents/
So they don’t use blackboard nor whiteboard and also don’t use screens, so what exactly do they use then?! Neutral Face
Deal Fanatic
Jan 11, 2020
7187 posts
5619 upvotes
Thornhill
Bebo123 wrote: So they don’t use blackboard nor whiteboard and also don’t use screens, so what exactly do they use then?! Neutral Face
Chalkboards!!! And flip-charts?
Deal Expert
Feb 7, 2017
27765 posts
27801 upvotes
Eastern Ontario
Bebo123 wrote: So they don’t use blackboard nor whiteboard and also don’t use screens, so what exactly do they use then?! Neutral Face
ADenariusSaved wrote: Chalkboards!!! And flip-charts?
It’s learning thru hands on doing / discovery
Far more organic

It’s more closely related to how one conducts a scientific experiment
Problem - Research - Hypothesis - Experiment - Observation - Analyze Results - Reach a Conclusion / Present Findings

A Montessori “Learning Lab” is filled with tools that provide a child the opportunity to explore their natural curiosity
Ask Questions
And find the answers thru trial and error
Versus someone lecturing … and a child just straight up memorizing

In reality …
It’s the same way human babies learn
Be it crawling, walking, or talking
Except now the concept is applied to things like
Organization, Vocabulary, Reading, Writing, Math, Science … Socialization, and the world around them

Thread Information

There is currently 1 user viewing this thread. (0 members and 1 guest)