Art and Photography

Do stock websites allow you to set prices?

• Last Updated:
  • Mar 30th, 2020 8:26 pm
[OP]
Deal Fanatic
Dec 10, 2004
6144 posts
1995 upvotes
Thornhill

Do stock websites allow you to set prices?

I have about 300 cool photos that I think can be sold, but selling them for $3 seems like a waste of my time. Are there stock sites that have high prices or where I can set my own price. I wouldn't want to sell them for less than $50 each.
I often use voice typing and rarely read what I had typed...
8 replies
Deal Guru
Feb 24, 2007
14365 posts
2361 upvotes
Whichever method you choose, keep in mind that things are not as rosy as say..12 months ago and people will likely pull back from unnecessary spending. It may be a bit more difficult getting a top buck during these times now.
[OP]
Deal Fanatic
Dec 10, 2004
6144 posts
1995 upvotes
Thornhill
eldiablo wrote: Whichever method you choose, keep in mind that things are not as rosy as say..12 months ago and people will likely pull back from unnecessary spending. It may be a bit more difficult getting a top buck during these times now.
Thank you for your answer, but seems like me you have no idea or knowledge of it... My question has nothing to do with the virus or spending or even present day.
Deal Guru
Feb 24, 2007
14365 posts
2361 upvotes
dazz wrote: Thank you for your answer, but seems like me you have no idea or knowledge of it... My question has nothing to do with the virus or spending or even present day.
Good luck in your endeavor then.
Feb 3, 2015
329 posts
4927 upvotes
Ontario
Yes, most sites charge much more than $3 and allow you to set your own price range. iStockPhoto is one of the largest and most photos cost around $50. Keep in mind there's millions of photos available and very few people who actually buy stock photos. The best way to make money is by flooding the market with very specific and niche photos.

EDIT: Also, I'm not sure if you know but you're generally not selling an exclusive license. You can sell the same photo to multiple people. :)
[OP]
Deal Fanatic
Dec 10, 2004
6144 posts
1995 upvotes
Thornhill
777Kevin wrote: Yes, most sites charge much more than $3 and allow you to set your own price range. iStockPhoto is one of the largest and most photos cost around $50. Keep in mind there's millions of photos available and very few people who actually buy stock photos. The best way to make money is by flooding the market with very specific and niche photos.

EDIT: Also, I'm not sure if you know but you're generally not selling an exclusive license. You can sell the same photo to multiple people. :)
Thanks!
I know you can resell the same image, I just don't want to sell them cheap and rather not sell at all. I have a specific niche of images due to my industry specialization and I've had many requests so it's only make sense to start selling them. Since they are very unique, certain businesses would gladly pay large amounts and this is why I want to be able to set my own price - they will buy them regardless of the price. I signed up to some stock site about 4 years ago and never used it as they were selling photos for about $5-10. Thing is, I can easily get $300+ for each image.
Deal Addict
Aug 30, 2007
1788 posts
1047 upvotes
On the site I am using (dreamstime) you can only set the full (all rights) sale price, but these happen extremely rarely. On the other hand, if you indeed have useful niche images, you can get quite a bit of money from microsales. One of my photos (industry, niche, and also quite good I'd like to think :) ) there earned >1000 US, but over rather long time (a few years).
Deal Addict
Aug 12, 2004
4459 posts
2111 upvotes
Calgary
dazz wrote: Thanks!
I know you can resell the same image, I just don't want to sell them cheap and rather not sell at all. I have a specific niche of images due to my industry specialization and I've had many requests so it's only make sense to start selling them. Since they are very unique, certain businesses would gladly pay large amounts and this is why I want to be able to set my own price - they will buy them regardless of the price. I signed up to some stock site about 4 years ago and never used it as they were selling photos for about $5-10. Thing is, I can easily get $300+ for each image.

Have you sold any photos to these businesses? Would, can and have are completely different words even if they are very unique.

Now obviously, if you do have an industry specialization, and you have proven that these can be sold for 300$+ than all the power to you. Check to see if your industry specialization is underrepresented on sites like istockphoto and dreamstime.

I honestly think, if you are truly specialized and have very unique photos, you want to concentrate much more on building a website that caters specifically to that content, SEO the crap out of it, and make your own storefront, even do a bit of advertising. You want a business to find YOU when searching for photos of what you specialize in.
[OP]
Deal Fanatic
Dec 10, 2004
6144 posts
1995 upvotes
Thornhill
Firebot wrote: [/b]

Have you sold any photos to these businesses? Would, can and have are completely different words even if they are very unique.

Now obviously, if you do have an industry specialization, and you have proven that these can be sold for 300$+ than all the power to you. Check to see if your industry specialization is underrepresented on sites like istockphoto and dreamstime.

I honestly think, if you are truly specialized and have very unique photos, you want to concentrate much more on building a website that caters specifically to that content, SEO the crap out of it, and make your own storefront, even do a bit of advertising. You want a business to find YOU when searching for photos of what you specialize in.
I've sold to those businesses that asked, with up to $600 per image.
Building a site and seo is not as easy as you put it, especially in the last few years. I don't want to invest $thousands just for a chance to compete with stock sites with revenues 100X that. I rather put my images there and take my cut(with my minimum), leaving us both happy.

Thread Information

There is currently 1 user viewing this thread. (0 members and 1 guest)