Parenting & Family

Do u take your young children out shopping less during pandemic than before? I find it challenging to bring kids around?

[OP]
Penalty Box
Jun 24, 2015
5309 posts
1630 upvotes
0 downvotes

Do u take your young children out shopping less during pandemic than before? I find it challenging to bring kids around?

I have been following all public health guidelines and where ever possible, I am avoiding to take my kids out when I need to do our weekly grocery shopping when ever possible, some times I have no choice and I bring them with me, but since my kids are very young and love touching things and don't always like to wear a mask it makes it very challenging.

Because of this I tend to wait till my spouse is home and can look after the kids and go shopping solo. I also find its much faster for someone like me to go in and out of the grocery stores or where ever im going and buy the stuff when im on my own, where as If my kids were with me, it would take twice as long.

My kids are also too young to be vaccinated and im worried they are more at risk of catching the Delta Veriant of Covid or Covid in General and want to minimize the risk.

My wife does work quite long hours so it sometimes i have to wait for a few days till i can do some solo shopping, its not like i can drop things on a dime and just bolt out and go shopping

Am I a bad guy for doing this? I have some friends though their kids are much older they bring their kids everywhere, I am guessing once your kids are older its much easier to bring them out and you dont have to watch them like a hawk, where as my kids see the toys aisle and run there and dont want to leave. etc.,

What is everyone elses experience? similar to mine?
Hi
24 replies
Deal Addict
Jun 12, 2008
1240 posts
708 upvotes
Ripley
I do click and collect for groceries. Even before covid. I hate grocery shopping.

No need for the kids to go in or wait for a spouse to come home.

Are they somehow disadvantaged by not going shopping? No. There are plenty of other places to go that teach them how to act in public. If I had the option of grocery delivery, I would do that.
Deal Addict
Oct 24, 2010
2015 posts
1796 upvotes
Ottawa
We don't bring our kid shopping unless we can't help it, or if we need to try on something specifically (ex: bike helmet or shoes, since he has massive feet and a big head for his age).

The kid stays home with my wife and I do 90% of the shopping, including all groceries. I try to time all of my shopping trips for when the toddler is napping or asleep. I usually shop for groceries in the evening when he's gone to bed, or at the very earliest when he's starting to get ready for bed.

Not only is it safer, it's so much more efficient.
Jul 4, 2021
161 posts
64 upvotes
GTA
Why take the risk is always my question -- so no I don't bring them.

I see no benefit of them bringing them with you esp if it's just bec of "convenience". For me, a little "pain" working around schedules, paying up a bit more on some items to buy from a 24 hr chain is worth it relative to a convenience of bringing them with me.
Deal Addict
Mar 24, 2015
1110 posts
480 upvotes
Ottawa, ON
My husband has been doing all the grocery shopping since march last year. Also get take out when needed or run errands. The kids stay home with me. We do go out to parks or for walks to get some fresh air.
Deal Addict
Jan 2, 2015
2178 posts
1660 upvotes
NOT centre of Univer…
Do what works for your family and you. I have always found it faster to grocery shop or any shop on my own. When my kids were really little, I waited until they were asleep at went by myself. for groceries, so usually finishing shopping at 10 or 11 a night. I only brought my kids if I needed to. My kids are older, and don't like shopping with me, but I sometimes bring them when I want them to have a say in what they are eating or if they are supposed to cook dinner. During COVID, I definately tried to minimize their time in stores and mine, so I would shop super early without any one.

I find now to minimize contact and lines, I go at store opening.

Really, there is no one right way.
On a 'smart' device that isn't always so smart. So please forgive the autocorrects and typos. If it bothers you, then don't read my posts, but don't waste my time correcting me. If you can get past the typos, then my posts generally have some value.
Nov 23, 2015
785 posts
486 upvotes
Winnipeg
Even before covid I hardly ever took my kids to a store since they never really enjoyed being there... my wife or I would keep the kids at home while one of us would run out to the store. Often grocery shopping gets done after bedtime, and we've been doing way more grocery shopping by delivery too.

Since covid they've hardly set foot in a store. I took them to the mall back in January to spend some Christmas gift cards, and they've been in a couple of stores while travelling, but that's about it.
Deal Addict
May 9, 2006
1776 posts
280 upvotes
even before pandemic, kids got bored easily if we brought them along to groceries shopping.
Deal Guru
Dec 5, 2006
10702 posts
5713 upvotes
Markham
We don't bring my son(he almost 11) to groceries shopping as well. Even before pandemic, we didn't really bring him to grocery shopping either. If you referred to shopping mall, then yes, we have to go with him, but now we rarely go to shopping mall either

But OP, do bring your kids to the public place such as park, it's easy to keep social distance and enjoy nature. They need that in young age. Also, if we keep on telling our kids go nowhere because covid, we plant fear in them which is not good for their growth
Deal Addict
Jul 4, 2006
3753 posts
785 upvotes
zeddy wrote: ...
Are they somehow disadvantaged by not going shopping? No. There are plenty of other places to go that teach them how to act in public...
Any suggestions for a 2.5 year old? She's basically only been around family since COVID started so going shopping recently was a huge treat for her that she loves.
Deal Guru
Jul 12, 2003
12066 posts
4372 upvotes
Toronto
We bought our 8 months old to Loblaws 2 weeks ago for the 1st time since he was born....we chose a quiet day to go tho.
It is slightly better than toddler as he stay in the stroller at all time and not touching anything, but with cases rising again, we will probably keep him at home.
Retired Forum Moderator February 2009 - June 2015
Deal Guru
Oct 23, 2008
13227 posts
10114 upvotes
GTA, ON
Yup. No need to bring them shopping unless it's specific to them (like buying shoes).

I'm lucky to have this option as my in-law lives with me, so grandma is always home to watch them.
Tis banana is IRIE

10% off is cold, 50% off is warm, 75% off is hot, but FREE IS RFD!
Deal Expert
Feb 29, 2008
15152 posts
11635 upvotes
Tarrana
Kid does not go anywhere unless it's to the park or for walks. It's pretty damn shitty. Just can't take the risk right now.
Deal Addict
Nov 13, 2013
2893 posts
1604 upvotes
Ottawa
I always bring kids with me. I work a lot and consider it multi tasking as its an hour of good time with kids. Kids need to do boring things and learn to behave while doimg them. I also think its important to say no to.kids and supermarket a greats place for that. Convsrsely they get to pick some meals and learn about money.

I dont worry at all about covid now that adults are vaccinated. Read the stats kids and Delta variant still milder than the flu. I mean sure indont want the flu either but that nwber stopped me before.
Deal Addict
Sep 6, 2017
3919 posts
2500 upvotes
toddlers hate shopping and please do not take your kids shopping.
Deal Addict
Oct 24, 2010
2015 posts
1796 upvotes
Ottawa
cristianosham wrote: toddlers hate shopping and please do not take your kids shopping.
That differs from my experience.
Deal Addict
Jan 14, 2007
3938 posts
1048 upvotes
GTA
My kids loved going to the grocery store (likely because they wanted to try and convince us to buy cookies instead of asparagus :) ) but haven't been inside a grocery store since February 2020. Since that time we have largely used Click and Collect which has been so helpful and easily worth the $3 to have someone do all of the shopping and load the stuff into my trunk. I've only had to go into the store maybe five times in the past 12+ months.

OP, I would not expose them to the store if you can avoid it, and it sounds like aside from potentially having to wait a day or two you can make that work so I'd keep doing that.
Aug 31, 2014
336 posts
177 upvotes
Toronto, ON
To be perfectly honest this thread surprised me. My toddler loves grocery shopping with us, or as usual, he wants to do everything the adults do. I think it’s better to include them in the household stuff so that they learn these life skills, I.e. like someone said before, how money works (and in my case, we’re not buying that coz it’s not on sale, or need vs want), or how we pick the food, meal plan etc. He’s also now into reminding us what’s all gone at home so we have to restock.

Now with pandemic, since we pulled him out of school, I do take him with me on off hours, outfitted with a KF94 kids mask, and try to be “in and out”.
Deal Guru
Jul 12, 2003
12066 posts
4372 upvotes
Toronto
Click and collect is probably convenient for new parents that are not able to go out of the house for too long and not exposed to public environment.

However, you will be missing out a lot of non advertising products or clearance product.
I bought so many baby formula with 50% sticker (Best Before date is like 2 months away, my baby finish one box every week), plus we use $5 simaliac formula coupon as well, not sure if you can stack that on with Click and collect, probably not.
Also baby diapers, I bought a lot of them at 50% off, I have no idea why they are half price as diapers doesn't expire and it is not like they are the very old inventory.

During pandemic, I mainly do the grocery shopping myself and sanitize everything when bring the stuff home and get changed and wash hands before touching my kid.
Retired Forum Moderator February 2009 - June 2015
Jun 23, 2006
369 posts
135 upvotes
We have use similar strategies to keep the household running in the 18 months as other posters mentioned. Since our school age kids have been sheltered from most of the grocery shopping, one surprise was how they found the escalator so unnerving when they finally took one after such a long time. Obviously they have taken escalators before and know how to get on and off by themselves properly without getting hurt but they wanted to take my hand like they were toddlers. Little things like these remind us of how adaptable we are and everyone needs a bit of compassion as we adjust to our environment.