Do we need a Gas Line for Dryer

• Last Updated:
  • Aug 26th, 2020 10:27 am
[OP]
Feb 16, 2017
498 posts
200 upvotes

Do we need a Gas Line for Dryer

Do i need to still go with Gas Line for Dryer line if i am going to use a electric Dryer
8 replies
Deal Guru
Mar 23, 2008
11500 posts
7786 upvotes
Edmonton
mattdominic wrote: Do i need to still go with Gas Line for Dryer line if i am going to use a electric Dryer
You don't give a location, but none of the places I've ever lived in (in Alberta) have had a gas line by the dryer. So I'm going with "no". Same as not needing a gas line by an electric stove.

C
Deal Addict
Aug 16, 2005
2584 posts
697 upvotes
North York
mattdominic wrote: Do i need to still go with Gas Line for Dryer line if i am going to use a electric Dryer
As long as there is a gas shut off valve by your dryer and that is closed you should be fine. I don't know if there is a cap you can buy to cover it off as well to be safe in case but also make sure you have a CO detector in your basement or home in general.
Deal Guru
Mar 23, 2008
11500 posts
7786 upvotes
Edmonton
mwong168 wrote: As long as there is a gas shut off valve by your dryer and that is closed you should be fine. I don't know if there is a cap you can buy to cover it off as well to be safe in case but also make sure you have a CO detector in your basement or home in general.
How is the CO detector related to a gas line? By the time gas is converted to CO in a "non-controlled" manner, it's way too late. If you're concerned about a gas leak, you need a gas detector.
https://www.homedepot.ca/product/kidde- ... 1000135647

C
Deal Addict
Jun 16, 2009
2299 posts
800 upvotes
Woodbridge
You do not need a gas line for electric dryer. However if you have an existing line, it should be capped off irrespective of shut off valve. If you don't have one and it can be done at a nominal price, I strongly suggest you to have one installed and also possibly look into getting a gas dryer. Gas dryer initially cost little more but payback is much faster. You don't have to watch the off period time to run your gas dryer.
HVAC Professional. Committed to customer, not brand.
Humidifier 2020 Group Buy
May 28, 2012
74 posts
11 upvotes
i'm pretty sure the way this goes is you don't need a gas line to your dryer or your oven... but if you have a gas line to your dryer or oven, they also are required by code to have electrical running to them as well
Deal Fanatic
Sep 8, 2007
8718 posts
9526 upvotes
Way Out of GTA
Do you think you need a gas line to the dryer if you are going to use an electric Dryer?
"It is in times of great fear or greed that the most opportunity exists."
Dec 25, 2012
933 posts
325 upvotes
Toronto
The questions that are asked simply amaze me. I fear for the next generation if these are questions being asked by new homeowners.
JS
Deal Addict
Oct 13, 2008
4069 posts
1303 upvotes
Oshawa
I want to know what brand the ELECTRIC DRYER you are referring to can operate by Natural Gas.

Interesting and stupid.
16' x 11' Living Room with 11' Cathedral Ceiling. 65" Hisense 65Q8G. Denon AVR-S740H. Jamo Classic 10 280W Towers (FR+FL). Polk Audio S35 (Center). Klipsch R51M (RR+RL). Klipsch R14M (Dolby FHR+Dolby FHL). Polk Audio HTS10 Subwoofer x 2.