Site Comments & Suggestions

DO we need to post in hot deals AND Black Friday?

• Last Updated:
  • Nov 23rd, 2017 4:08 pm

Poll: Do you post in both

• Total votes: 85. You have voted on this poll.
Yes, post in both

40%
No, Hot Deals Only

47%
No, Black friday Only

13%
Apr 12, 2013
727 posts
680 upvotes
BC

DO we need to post in hot deals AND Black Friday?

Question to all: despite years of complaints the mods have chosen to duplicate forums yet again. So do we need to duplicate posts?
17 replies
Apr 16, 2017
428 posts
414 upvotes
Toronto
That moment where a question about which forum to post in is posted in the wrong forum...

EDIT: An important question nonetheless OP, just probably not the right place for it :)
Last edited by Oogarr on Nov 23rd, 2017 1:09 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Deal Fanatic
Aug 4, 2008
5752 posts
2585 upvotes
Toronto
Oogarr wrote: That moment where a question about which forum to post in is posted in the wrong forum...
LOLOL
Deal Expert
Feb 19, 2008
16990 posts
9322 upvotes
London
All in one forum

I can't think of any reason why they would want to have two forums unless it is entirely for page traffic.
Deal Expert
Aug 22, 2011
41802 posts
30056 upvotes
Center of Universe
Yes in both, I don't want to miss anything :)
Sep 9, 2016
392 posts
1010 upvotes
Leask
I'd rather that any hot deal, black Friday or not, be posted in the hot deals forum. If the mods want to duplicate black Friday related posts in the black Friday forum I'm all for it, but that forum is generally not on my radar, THIS is where I come to check out and share hot deals regardless of what fake holiday has made them hot.
Sep 26, 2016
327 posts
347 upvotes
melikeydeals wrote: I'd rather that any hot deal, black Friday or not, be posted in the hot deals forum. If the mods want to duplicate black Friday related posts in the black Friday forum I'm all for it, but that forum is generally not on my radar, THIS is where I come to check out and share hot deals regardless of what fake holiday has made them hot.
Yes please. It's just annoying to switch from one to another to make sure I don't miss anything (sic).
Deal Addict
May 21, 2014
1746 posts
3106 upvotes
Calgary, AB
I am 100 % for hot deals only. Splitting it in two sub threads just makes it more difficult.
Pro tip - If you can't stop thinking about it ....BUY IT !
Apr 12, 2013
727 posts
680 upvotes
BC
EDIT: An important question nonetheless OP, just probably not the right place for it :)
[/quote]

So what forum should it be in, Hot Deals or Black Friday? Looks like it was just moved somewhere else anyway.
Deal Addict
Oct 17, 2004
1573 posts
168 upvotes
I think the BlackFriday forum makes sense for the lead up for leaked flyers etc. so there isn't confusion. However a couple days before it would make sense for them to migrate over, though there is a lot shoppign discussion also so a simple forum merge wouldn't work.
Apr 12, 2013
727 posts
680 upvotes
BC
aviador wrote: This thread should be in the Site Comments & Suggestions forum category.
I had wondered this, but it seemed far more appropriate in the relevant forum,. I'll let the mods decide that point.
Aug 10, 2010
670 posts
834 upvotes
Viper98 wrote: All in one forum

I can't think of any reason why they would want to have two forums unless it is entirely for page traffic.
+1

Two other reasons I could think of:
* Having 2 forums so that people don't get caught easily for reposting
* We could post black Friday *hot deals* in Hot Deals forum and warm/cold deals in black Friday forum.

Face With Tears Of Joy
Banned
Aug 3, 2017
11 posts
5 upvotes
I believe any saving 20% or less on black Friday should not be posted.
Administrator
Jun 17, 2013
18226 posts
36618 upvotes
Scarborough
There's good and bad both ways. I personally don't love having it separate but understand why we currently need to (SEO as well as a few other reasons). I'm hoping that some of the changes we have planned for 2018 will allow us to have everything stay within Hot Deals starting next year. We plan to add more filtering and personalization options and Black Friday/Boxing Day could be incorporated into those systems. You could then filter them out or choose to only see them for example. Another possible option would be via allowing a thread to simultaneously appear in 2 forums (Black Friday Deals and Hot Deals for example).

I can't make any promises that it will happen in 2018 but this has been something I've wanted to do for a while now.
RFD Staff - Got a question? Send me a private message.
[Forum Rules] [Deal Alerts]
May 28, 2012
12484 posts
5278 upvotes
Saskatoon
One advantage to having a separate area for Black Friday deals is that when it's over, the entire subforum gets moved/expired.
Sep 30, 2001
30160 posts
10147 upvotes
Toronto
AndrewBond wrote: Question to all: despite years of complaints the mods have chosen to duplicate forums yet again. So do we need to duplicate posts?
Just of clarify, the moderators are not the ones making the changes. We can make our suggestions like any other user, but ultimately it's up to the Administrative staff to decide what's in the best interest for the site (as Tom explained above).

It's just as much as work for us to try and keep things some what organized and it can get really tough for us with the overlapping threads, people posting individual items from a main flyer thread, etc.
Be kind and civil with one another

Thread Information

There is currently 1 user viewing this thread. (0 members and 1 guest)