• Aug 20th, 2021 10:06 am
[OP]
Deal Expert
Dec 4, 2010
19497 posts
2190 upvotes
Quarantine Bubble

Do you believe in PPF for your car?

Not sure I want to spend this kind of money. I've had my car for a good 6+ years no film applied. It's dirty when it's dirty but when it's clean, it still pops. Just got a new car recently and thinking of applyig some PPF but man, they are expensive.

Ideally, I would get the full front protection but it's $2,000 investment. Seems like a better idea to just repaint it later down the road.

What's your opinoin on PPF?
114 replies
Deal Fanatic
Sep 10, 2008
9115 posts
7157 upvotes
Kitchener
I applied my own half hood/fender DIY kit I bought from eBay for $350 (Suntek Ultra). Keep in mind that for the bumper, PPF is basically impossible to apply as a DIY job (too many curves) and the shops want about $250 to install.
Temp. Banned
Jun 4, 2020
1634 posts
1657 upvotes
Clarington, ON
Never really considered it before landing here.

I generally buy used, off lease. Theres already chips and crap. I dunno - My 7 year old Nissan with 220 on it still looks pretty good when clean, clayed and waxed. 2 grand is significant.
Deal Expert
Jul 30, 2007
30042 posts
16052 upvotes
Toronto
Yeah! It's pricey indeed but I am OCD when it comes to rock chips. I'm getting my new toy done next week.
Deal Addict
Feb 11, 2005
4094 posts
328 upvotes
Supercooled wrote:

Not sure I want to spend this kind of money. I've had my car for a good 6+ years no film applied. It's dirty when it's dirty but when it's clean, it still pops. Just got a new car recently and thinking of applyig some PPF but man, they are expensive.

Ideally, I would get the full front protection but it's $2,000 investment. Seems like a better idea to just repaint it later down the road.

What's your opinoin on PPF?
Depends on the car and use.

If you're talking a 911 GT3 that's going to see track use, PPF definitely has its place.

If you're talking a late 90's fart can Honda Civic then it's waste of money.
Deal Fanatic
Sep 1, 2004
7085 posts
5930 upvotes
Supercooled wrote: Ideally, I would get the full front protection but it's $2,000 investment. Seems like a better idea to just repaint it later down the road.
If it only cost $2K to repaint hood, bumper and front quarter panels, your car doesn't deserve PPF.

Also repaint can never match factory.
Deal Addict
Sep 13, 2012
1671 posts
1071 upvotes
Vaughan, ON
booblehead wrote: Yeah! It's pricey indeed but I am OCD when it comes to rock chips. I'm getting my new toy done next week.
Had it done in January, noticed it caught some rock chips in March right at the centre of the hood. Better OCD than sorry.
Deal Addict
Feb 17, 2015
1040 posts
1225 upvotes
Canada
Cars are meant to get some kind of blemishes, unless you have @booblehead car I would not do it. Grinning Face With Smiling Eyes

I have Air Jordans and did not apply PPF.Face With Tears Of Joy
Deal Addict
Jul 21, 2009
1209 posts
668 upvotes
Toronto
PPF is not an investment at all unless you have a special enthusiast car. It will only protect you from minor rock chips so you gotta ask yourself if this bothers you. When its time to sell or write off your car PPF wont add any value to it.
Deal Addict
Aug 17, 2008
1292 posts
738 upvotes
I'm very conscious of value for the money. My decision has been that I think PPF is a good idea, but you don't need to protect every area as extra coverage is expensive (e.g. I don't think the "full front -- which is entire front portion of the car is a good value optoin).

Why can PPF be a good idea? Of course it protects from rock chips. If it keeps the car looking good, then you will be more inclined to keep the car for longer and feel good about it. So if you want your cars to look nice then a reasonable PPF package can save you money (by avoiding repainting costs, or allowing you to feel good about keeping your car for longer).

six years ago, I did the full front bumper, partial hood, and partial fenders package -- reasonable cost, and I've never gotten a chip on the uncovered portion (and if I did get a chip, a small number of chips is easy to do a very good DIY repair with produts like Langka or Dr. ColorChip). The line is not visible unless you know where to look. The car still looks fantastic, like new.
Last year on another car, I thought the best value package from my installer was full bumper, full hood, partial fenders (as this package also included headlights and rear bumper sill). I think the incremental cost to go from this coverage to "full front -- which is entire front portion of the car -- is not worth the significanly higher cost for a minor increase in coverage.

Also look for group buy deals. I did the group buy from Elevated Auto last year. Steve from Elevated is a perfectionist. He used to be the top installer and operation manager at Auto-Links, until you went out on his own.
Sep 25, 2018
867 posts
1617 upvotes
Depends on what car and how long you plan to keep it. If it is under $100k I don't see much point.

Also PFF degrade over time. If you don't replace/remove them in time, they will become yellow, crack, and costs even more to professionally remove.
Deal Fanatic
Sep 10, 2008
9115 posts
7157 upvotes
Kitchener
AlicW93740 wrote: Also PFF degrade over time. If you don't replace/remove them in time, they will become yellow, crack, and costs even more to professionally remove.
You're buying REALLY crappy PPF if it degrades like that. The premium PPF available these days (Suntek, 3M, Xpel) SHOULDN'T do that.
Deal Addict
Jun 20, 2010
2058 posts
1488 upvotes
Keep in mind repaint with never be as durable as factory paint.

Even if you do the front, rock chips will still find its way to your doors, roof, mirrors and side skirts. I'd love to have perfect paint, but my car's not expensive nor am I going to SEMA, I just do touch ups which is good enough for me and the gram lol.
Deal Addict
Jun 25, 2004
4026 posts
584 upvotes
Pickering, ON
Not to me... I debated getting it when we got our Odyssey (I know, lol). Thing is, I plan to drive it into the ground (15+ years?), and by the time I get to 15 years, I won't give 2 s***s about how the hood/bumper/fenders look and that money spent would have given me little to no return when I sell/get rid of it.
Deal Fanatic
Dec 20, 2018
5517 posts
4584 upvotes
nope...i lease cars and even of the ones i owned in the past, i stopped caring after first year or two. they're consumable and disposable to me. maybe if i could afford something like a mclaren senna, i would lol..

it's a car, i replace them like shoes, same reason why i dont scotchguard my shoes or w/e.

same with coatings on my cars, i've had opti to quartz and now don't bother...
Deal Addict
Jul 8, 2013
1954 posts
2641 upvotes
Red Deer, AB
CuriousJack wrote: Cars are meant to get some kind of blemishes, unless you have @booblehead car I would not do it. Grinning Face With Smiling Eyes

I have Air Jordans and did not apply PPF.Face With Tears Of Joy
Well said.

My take is this: if you want to sell your call in a few years then don't bother with the PPF. This is because the buyer is not going to pay a premium so you're out $2K+ for partial PPF and $4K+ for full car protection. In other words, you won't be able to recoup the money. I know as I made the mistake of covering my Camaro with PPF and did not recoup the money at all.

However, if it's a $100K+ car then putting the PPF on is a good investment.
TFSA: XAW | RRSP: VEQT + VAB | Non-Reg: Dividend-paying individual stocks (tax purposes)
Deal Expert
Mar 6, 2003
15839 posts
7397 upvotes
Ottawa
I would be more supportive of spending $$$ on PPF on a car that's not winter driven......sure your paint has less chips, but the real crime is that your car is rusting underneath/inside. That makes me more sad than some stone chips. I hate seeing rusty suspension bits/brake parts, undercarriage bolts, exhaust parts when looking underneath

I had a summer driven sports car that never saw any salt, and after 10 years, the whole undercarriage looked nearly brand new. It was beautiful to see.
This is RedFlagDeals, not RedFlagCheapskates. Rich or poor, we all want our deals so we can buy even more stuff we may or may not need.
Deal Fanatic
Sep 2, 2006
6030 posts
688 upvotes
Stouffville, ON
it's a must for glass headlights but it works for a bumper
--
I like detailing cars!
Deal Fanatic
Aug 4, 2005
8151 posts
794 upvotes
Brampton
I would't say PPF is a "scam"

If anything I'm more weary of Ceramic coating. Cost quite a bit and in order to apply properly a full 2 or 3 stage polish should be done. By the time you do all that might as well just put a good wax/sealant and 1 stage polish yearly as a DIY.

The RFD in me would only consider PPF if I had a car that hardy depreciates or one that would be excepted to gain value in time.

Partial front PPF is okay on regular cars if you truly have OCD to stone chips and plan on keeping for a while.
Deal Fanatic
Oct 6, 2007
8960 posts
6018 upvotes
Kootenays
A lot depends on where you live and how they treat the roads in winter. In the west, where sand/gravel is used, soft paint cars get chipped to pieces. Most people go through a windshield each year or every 2 years. Imagine what that does to paint. Many people do it to keep their cars looking better for longer.