Automotive

Do you believe in PPF for your car?

  • Last Updated:
  • Nov 24th, 2021 2:36 pm
Jr. Member
Jan 18, 2012
159 posts
78 upvotes
After 15 years in a 'rolla and getting tired of being made fun of my wife /inlaws about my Corolla I bought a luxury car.

PPF with ceramic coat. Would i do it again? Probably not especially the ceramic coating. In the end it's just a car you're gonna replace it with. I spent so much money on this car for no good reason :). but I guess you could do the mundane and sound choice of saving for retirement. But what's the point in that either YOLO.
Deal Addict
Aug 17, 2008
1312 posts
769 upvotes
MexiCanuck wrote: Call me overkilled. Smiling Face With Smiling Eyes

Pre-covid I drove 4,000 - 5,000 km per month, most of that highway driving.

I had partial PPF (front bumper and fenders, rocker panels, partial hood, mirrors, partial roof) installed on my 2014 Prius v. Those areas remain chip free. I have chips on the upper hood, roof, sides, and even on the back of the car.

I had full PPF installed on my 2019 TM3. So far I have two or three tiny perforations from debris.

I had ceramic put on because I like to have a good looking car and I don’t like washing/“waxing” my car. Smiling Face With Smiling Eyes

I’m not going to get out the clay bar and Zaino as I did with my 2004 Prius, but I don’t mind doing a simple 30-45 minutes hand washing the car once in a while. I did it on the weekend and my wife said the car looked like new.
I am also an ex-Zaino user. But no way Zaino has kept up with latest developments in coatings.

I'm still going to suggest Professional Ceramic Coating on top of PPF is overkill. Now for extreme highway driving, maybe more PPF makes sense (i.e. full hood for sure) Full car is expensive, but maybe if car is valuable enough. If you do hand wash your car "once in a whiile", the latest consumer grade ceramic waxes are SO EASY to apply and will give you 6-12 months of protection, so an easy application twice per year will give you contninuous protection. I always get compliments on my cars appearance. Just two days ago, i was driving the 6 year old car (with PPF and apply my own inexpensive ceramic wax), and someone asked if it was a new car.
Penalty Box
Oct 5, 2008
1227 posts
88 upvotes
Rob_EV wrote: Can't really see it on a white or silver car. Here's a dirty pic of mine.....line is JUST above the headlights (hood and fender), another line in front of the rear wheels (rocker panel PPF). Can't see either in the picture.
That looks good. On black cars my experience has been that you could always see a thin white or light grey line. I'd often get people asking me how I got a huge scratch all the way across my hood.
Deal Addict
User avatar
May 18, 2002
4146 posts
1190 upvotes
Brampton
multimut wrote: I am also an ex-Zaino user. But no way Zaino has kept up with latest developments in coatings.

I'm still going to suggest Professional Ceramic Coating on top of PPF is overkill. Now for extreme highway driving, maybe more PPF makes sense (i.e. full hood for sure) Full car is expensive, but maybe if car is valuable enough. If you do hand wash your car "once in a whiile", the latest consumer grade ceramic waxes are SO EASY to apply and will give you 6-12 months of protection, so an easy application twice per year will give you contninuous protection. I always get compliments on my cars appearance. Just two days ago, i was driving the 6 year old car (with PPF and apply my own inexpensive ceramic wax), and someone asked if it was a new car.
Thats the main advantage for ceramic over PPF, it will look good for a longer time. Also adds a bit of shine.
INFORMATION: The requested thread does not exist.
Deal Expert
User avatar
Jul 30, 2007
30466 posts
16650 upvotes
Toronto
Couple of ppf brands have updated their films to be very clear/glossy and with enhanced hydrophobic properties so you may not need to do ceramic coating onto the film on top.

Suntek reaction
STEK dynoshield
Deal Fanatic
May 22, 2003
7508 posts
4434 upvotes
Vancouver
@booblehead Does your car have lane change assist? Any problems with it after installing PPF? I read a few members on rennlist that were having issues with the LCA after PPF was installed.
Deal Expert
User avatar
Jul 30, 2007
30466 posts
16650 upvotes
Toronto
notenoughsleep wrote: @booblehead Does your car have lane change assist? Any problems with it after installing PPF? I read a few members on rennlist that were having issues with the LCA after PPF was installed.
I have LCA. My ppf job is being done and I am picking up my car this afternoon. I can't see how the ppf will affect LCA ??? weird.
Penalty Box
Oct 5, 2008
1227 posts
88 upvotes
booblehead wrote: I have LCA. My ppf job is being done and I am picking up my car this afternoon. I can't see how the ppf will affect LCA ??? weird.
I'm guessing the PPF is somehow interfering with the radar sensors for the LCA that are mounted behind the rear bumper.
Deal Expert
User avatar
Jul 30, 2007
30466 posts
16650 upvotes
Toronto
JohnEnglish wrote: I'm guessing the PPF is somehow interfering with the radar sensors for the LCA that are mounted behind the rear bumper.
Ok. I just picked up my car (full front ppf) and drove for like 20km without any issues. weird.
Penalty Box
Oct 5, 2008
1227 posts
88 upvotes
booblehead wrote: Ok. I just picked up my car (full front ppf) and drove for like 20km without any issues. weird.
If it's only full front PPF then you probably won't see any issues. The LCA sensors are only behind the rear bumpier to monitor the blind spots.
Member
May 2, 2020
207 posts
330 upvotes
Toronto
99% of Vehicles out there do not need PPF

Only Limited Run Vehicles or Hard to come by collector toys can justify the cost as an "investment". Every other car... Do not care if it's a Tesla, or a Rolls Royce... complete waste of money.
Blessed are the flexible, for they shall never be bent out of shape
Deal Expert
Jan 15, 2006
17045 posts
15658 upvotes
Richmond Hill
notenoughsleep wrote: @booblehead Does your car have lane change assist? Any problems with it after installing PPF? I read a few members on rennlist that were having issues with the LCA after PPF was installed.
I have LCA on my wife's car and mine. Both have PPF and no issues.
Deal Expert
Jan 15, 2006
17045 posts
15658 upvotes
Richmond Hill
Azmosis30 wrote: 99% of Vehicles out there do not need PPF

Only Limited Run Vehicles or Hard to come by collector toys can justify the cost as an "investment". Every other car... Do not care if it's a Tesla, or a Rolls Royce... complete waste of money.
To you it may be a waste and that's fine. For myself I put on a lot of highway miles and for my past cars that didn't have it done were all peppered to hell after a couple of years. I like my cars looking pristine and not so much about "investment" and lastly any repaint will never last as long as the original paint.
Deal Expert
Jan 15, 2006
17045 posts
15658 upvotes
Richmond Hill
notenoughsleep wrote: Do you have full PPF or just frontal?

Found the rennlist thread, apparently it's only an issue when using on rear bumper where the sensors are.
https://rennlist.com/forums/992/1209133 ... ssist.html
https://rennlist.com/forums/992/1189317 ... rking.html
Full front bumper, but only partial fender and hood. And of course all the lenses and mirror caps. Doing full fender and hood would be good if you don’t want to see the line. I don’t really mind it. My wife’s car has 40k on it now and there is one stone chip behind the PPF. So might be worth doing full thing?!?!?!?
Deal Addict
User avatar
Feb 20, 2015
2080 posts
1500 upvotes
Southern Ontario
Azmosis30 wrote: 99% of Vehicles out there do not need PPF

Only Limited Run Vehicles or Hard to come by collector toys can justify the cost as an "investment". Every other car... Do not care if it's a Tesla, or a Rolls Royce... complete waste of money.
My buddy paid thousands for this stuff from the dealership for his Imprezza... then he treats it like garbage. Barely washes it and his interior looks like a drivethru garbage can.

Most cars are just commuter grade vehicles, if you want to spend the money - do it. In most cases, it's not needed.

Park it in the grocery store parking lot and a soccer mom will be opening her door on you and her cart will be left there to bump into your car.

Image
Deal Expert
User avatar
Jul 30, 2007
30466 posts
16650 upvotes
Toronto
The only way I would do a full car ppf is if it costs like $250k+ Smiling Face With Open Mouth And Smiling Eyes
Deal Expert
Jan 15, 2006
17045 posts
15658 upvotes
Richmond Hill
booblehead wrote: The only way I would do a full car ppf is if it costs like $250k+ Smiling Face With Open Mouth And Smiling Eyes
LOL I don't know. For me I think I still wouldn't Face With Tears Of Joy
Deal Addict
Apr 22, 2013
2787 posts
2129 upvotes
Markham
EP32k2 wrote: To you it may be a waste and that's fine. For myself I put on a lot of highway miles and for my past cars that didn't have it done were all peppered to hell after a couple of years. I like my cars looking pristine and not so much about "investment" and lastly any repaint will never last as long as the original paint.
This is exactly my attitude. Wasn't doing it for a ROI, and yeah I don't know how bad my car would've looked without it. My windshields show how badly my car gets hit, since we can't protect those...1st windshield was pitted in so many areas, I think it had like 20 that I could see before it gave in to a rock that cracked it outright. Less pitting on my second one but really annoyed it had a small star crack pretty much 3 months after I replaced the old one.
EP32k2 wrote: Full front bumper, but only partial fender and hood. And of course all the lenses and mirror caps. Doing full fender and hood would be good if you don’t want to see the line. I don’t really mind it. My wife’s car has 40k on it now and there is one stone chip behind the PPF. So might be worth doing full thing?!?!?!?
I did full fender in addition to full front(including A pillars) and partial roof, since I see nothing I think...it did its job...but I have no way of verifying. My film is supposed to self heal, so its really hard for me to see. Alas the rear quarter isn't protected and I do have a stone chip there...perhaps not as useful for most cars but the back is wider than the door section but the front appears to be the widest part which was why I went with full fenders.
Deal Expert
Jan 15, 2006
17045 posts
15658 upvotes
Richmond Hill
JeganV wrote: This is exactly my attitude. Wasn't doing it for a ROI, and yeah I don't know how bad my car would've looked without it. My windshields show how badly my car gets hit, since we can't protect those...1st windshield was pitted in so many areas, I think it had like 20 that I could see before it gave in to a rock that cracked it outright. Less pitting on my second one but really annoyed it had a small star crack pretty much 3 months after I replaced the old one.


I did full fender in addition to full front(including A pillars) and partial roof, since I see nothing I think...it did its job...but I have no way of verifying. My film is supposed to self heal, so its really hard for me to see. Alas the rear quarter isn't protected and I do have a stone chip there...perhaps not as useful for most cars but the back is wider than the door section but the front appears to be the widest part which was why I went with full fenders.
PPF on the roof was a good call. My buddy has a BRZ and he got a stone chip right by the roof and windshield. Went unnoticed and rust formed :(

Top