Automotive

Do you believe in PPF for your car?

  • Last Updated:
  • Nov 24th, 2021 2:36 pm
Deal Expert
Feb 29, 2008
28137 posts
4293 upvotes
Montreal
Yeah I'm really debating this. Just picked up my car and had a good look at it.

The front bumper is plastic, so yes the paint can chip, but it wont rust. Same for the side mirrors.

The wheel fenders actually have a black plastic trim kit so I'm less worried about rocks hitting that area. So that leaves the hood maybe?
IMG_20210517_102636.jpg
IMG_20210517_102510.jpg
Deal Addict
User avatar
May 18, 2002
4146 posts
1191 upvotes
Brampton
mr_raider wrote: Yeah I'm really debating this. Just picked up my car and had a good look at it.
Is that a Mach-E? :D
If you commute on the highway, I would put something on any metal surfaces facing forward.
INFORMATION: The requested thread does not exist.
Deal Addict
Apr 22, 2013
2788 posts
2129 upvotes
Markham
EP32k2 wrote: PPF on the roof was a good call. My buddy has a BRZ and he got a stone chip right by the roof and windshield. Went unnoticed and rust formed :(
My thinking was this car was even more vulnerable at the top than most cars. That said it was my last car that made me conclude to go this route, because my old Impreza had chips everywhere except the one part that had PPF...the partial hood section, the part at the roof section was indeed alarming.
Deal Expert
Jan 15, 2006
17045 posts
15658 upvotes
Richmond Hill
mr_raider wrote: Yeah I'm really debating this. Just picked up my car and had a good look at it.

The front bumper is plastic, so yes the paint can chip, but it wont rust. Same for the side mirrors.

The wheel fenders actually have a black plastic trim kit so I'm less worried about rocks hitting that area. So that leaves the hood maybe?

IMG_20210517_102636.jpgIMG_20210517_102510.jpg
Are you keeping the car long term? If you’re one to change cars every few years I would say it’s not worth it as it adds zero value when it comes time to sell the car.
Penalty Box
Mar 23, 2004
30148 posts
10927 upvotes
mr_raider wrote: Yeah I'm really debating this. Just picked up my car and had a good look at it.

The front bumper is plastic, so yes the paint can chip, but it wont rust. Same for the side mirrors.

The wheel fenders actually have a black plastic trim kit so I'm less worried about rocks hitting that area. So that leaves the hood maybe?
The plastic parts won't rust, sure. But they'll also never be the same should you ever repaint them. If I had to pick between the hood and the bumper, I'd pick the latter. Front bumper is definitely not something you want to repaint. Realistically you want both the bumper and the hood (not necessarily the whole hood but some coverage) but if only going for one, definitely the bumper. Mirror caps, might as well do them too.
Deal Expert
Feb 29, 2008
28137 posts
4293 upvotes
Montreal
prod wrote: Is that a Mach-E? :D
If you commute on the highway, I would put something on any metal surfaces facing forward.
Yes it is.

I commute on the highway, but average rush hour speed is 50km/h. Mind you Montreal has plenty of construction zone.

Back in the day, I used to do front bumper, mirrors and first 3rd of hood. But last two cars I just stopped. I had a Volvo with the 3m film on the hood. But someone walked on the car and I had to have the hood, trunk and roof fixed so the film was a waste.
Member
Nov 18, 2019
221 posts
85 upvotes
GTA
If you do alot of highway driving, a lower car, and a somewhat expensive car, then yes.
Temp. Banned
Jun 4, 2020
1634 posts
1689 upvotes
Clarington, ON
mr_raider wrote: Yes it is.

I commute on the highway, but average rush hour speed is 50km/h. Mind you Montreal has plenty of construction zone.

Back in the day, I used to do front bumper, mirrors and first 3rd of hood. But last two cars I just stopped. I had a Volvo with the 3m film on the hood. But someone walked on the car and I had to have the hood, trunk and roof fixed so the film was a waste.
Sounds like a good rager... More to share?
Deal Guru
May 9, 2007
11870 posts
3492 upvotes
Vancouver Island, BC
notenoughsleep wrote: @booblehead Does your car have lane change assist? Any problems with it after installing PPF? I read a few members on rennlist that were having issues with the LCA after PPF was installed.
I have full PPF and no problems with any of the Tesla sensors.
"It is difficult to get a man to understand something when his salary depends on his not understanding it." Upton Sinclair

Our house is on fire.” Greta Thunberg
Deal Expert
Feb 29, 2008
28137 posts
4293 upvotes
Montreal
ES_Revenge wrote: The plastic parts won't rust, sure. But they'll also never be the same should you ever repaint them. If I had to pick between the hood and the bumper, I'd pick the latter. Front bumper is definitely not something you want to repaint. Realistically you want both the bumper and the hood (not necessarily the whole hood but some coverage) but if only going for one, definitely the bumper. Mirror caps, might as well do them too.
Passed by protex today. They want 399$ for front of hood, mirrors + tailgate lip.

For 750 they add the bumper and headlights.

Worth it for the extra 350$

Also will it.mess up.the radar behind the bumper for the driver assist?
Deal Expert
Feb 29, 2008
28137 posts
4293 upvotes
Montreal
KevinM56081 wrote: Sounds like a good rager... More to share?
What's there to share? Dent on trunk, dent in bank of sunroof, dent on hood. All in a line.

Insurance adjuster said kids like to jump down lines of.parked cars on city streets. Never saw it happen but he said it was common in downtown Montreal.
Temp. Banned
Jun 4, 2020
1634 posts
1689 upvotes
Clarington, ON
mr_raider wrote: What's there to share? Dent on trunk, dent in bank of sunroof, dent on hood. All in a line.

Insurance adjuster said kids like to jump down lines of.parked cars on city streets. Never saw it happen but he said it was common in downtown Montreal.
Good to know.

That shares exactly what I was interested in!
Penalty Box
Mar 23, 2004
30148 posts
10927 upvotes
mr_raider wrote: Passed by protex today. They want 399$ for front of hood, mirrors + tailgate lip.

For 750 they add the bumper and headlights.

Worth it for the extra 350$
Oh yeah headlights are another key one, if that's $750 total (and $350 extra) if I read you right, I would say worth it yeah. Headlight film alone is going to be at least $100, if not more, to have someone do. So that makes like $250 for the bumper which is definitely a deal.

Compared to other prices people are mentioning this seems quite good overall. Questions only would be:
1. What type of film(s) are they using?
2. How good of work and how good a reputation do they have?
mr_raider wrote: Also will it.mess up.the radar behind the bumper for the driver assist?
I think it depends on the type and location of the sensor(s). Some sensors are placed within emblems and manufacturers tell you specifically not to put anything on them and any warranty or complaints you may have the system they may tell you the film needs to be removed. OTOH many people have covered these sensors with PPF or other vinyl with no ill effects. Other sensor which aren't the "hidden" type, they can just skip the PPF on those areas sometimes and then it won't even be a concern.
Deal Expert
Feb 29, 2008
28137 posts
4293 upvotes
Montreal
ES_Revenge wrote: Oh yeah headlights are another key one, if that's $750 total (and $350 extra) if I read you right, I would say worth it yeah. Headlight film alone is going to be at least $100, if not more, to have someone do. So that makes like $250 for the bumper which is definitely a deal.

Compared to other prices people are mentioning this seems quite good overall. Questions only would be:
1. What type of film(s) are they using?
2. How good of work and how good a reputation do they have?


I think it depends on the type and location of the sensor(s). Some sensors are placed within emblems and manufacturers tell you specifically not to put anything on them and any warranty or complaints you may have the system they may tell you the film needs to be removed. OTOH many people have covered these sensors with PPF or other vinyl with no ill effects. Other sensor which aren't the "hidden" type, they can just skip the PPF on those areas sometimes and then it won't even be a concern.
They use Xpel. They have done a few Mach Es and are one of th few to have cutouts. FB group speaks well of them.
Penalty Box
Mar 23, 2004
30148 posts
10927 upvotes
notenoughsleep wrote: @booblehead Does your car have lane change assist? Any problems with it after installing PPF? I read a few members on rennlist that were having issues with the LCA after PPF was installed.
booblehead wrote: I have LCA. My ppf job is being done and I am picking up my car this afternoon. I can't see how the ppf will affect LCA ??? weird.
Wait what is lane change assist? I know about lane keep assist, I know about blind spot monitors, but lane change assist? What happens you turn on your signal at highway speed and it checks your blind spot and steers into the lane for you? I dunno I'm all for safety features and do like the idea of active/adaptive cruise control, but lane change assist sound like the opposite of driving to me lol. I mean if the car is going to do that, might as well just have auto drive altogether, take a nap in the back or whatever lol.
Deal Expert
User avatar
Jul 30, 2007
30466 posts
16651 upvotes
Toronto
Same as blind spot monitor but it won’t change lane by itself (for Porsche), the driver still needs to do the lane changing
Deal Fanatic
User avatar
Sep 7, 2004
6630 posts
2986 upvotes
West GTEH!
Reading through this Thread about PPF and all the Comments.
Some people PPF, some don't.

If you don't PPF, my question is: Many People don't protect their Vehicles Front Hood/Bumper anymore?
😎
Deal Expert
User avatar
Mar 6, 2003
16257 posts
7966 upvotes
Ottawa
Webhead wrote: If you don't PPF, my question is: Many People don't protect their Vehicles Front Hood/Bumper anymore?
There used to be a time when PPF wasn't a thing and people just drove their cars and didn't care that the front has stone nicks. Somehow people were able to live with themselves and get on with their lives.

Unless your car is collectable and intend to keep it for a long long time, I'd argue that PPF is poor value. My wife's car doesn't have PPF and I look at the wear and tear on it after 5 years, and it looks pitted and chipped (as a car has actually been used, not a garage queen), and in the end, I will still sleep well at night. The same car will probably be rusted out in another 8 years from just driving in truckloads of salt they dump onto the roads.

If PPF was something you did once, and lasted forever, I'd be more inclined to spend $$$ on a full treatment, but after about 5 or 7 years, if I really cared about my car looking pristine, I wouldn't be happy with the wear and tear on the PPF and I'd have to do it all over again. Am I going to spend another $2K replacing all the front PPF on a 8 year old car? On my last car, large rocks that hit the PPF made visible tears on the PPF, and it looks crappy too. And some still dented the surface. PPF helped but has limits.

I'm not a young guy anymore, well into middle aged......and one thing I regret is wasting too much of my life worrying about my car looking pristine. Too much time waxing, detailing.

My recommendation is: cover the front surfaces in the direct line of fire with stones, and maybe other high wear areas like the spray from the wheels.....if you have a nice car which you intend to keep for a while. And just go ahead and enjoy "driving" it.

edit: forgot to mention that back in the day....car bras were the thing. But they were very different than PPF because they were ugly, and cheap too ($100-200). I used to cringe when people put those things on their car.
Deal Fanatic
User avatar
Sep 7, 2004
6630 posts
2986 upvotes
West GTEH!
warpdrive wrote: There used to be a time when PPF wasn't a thing and people just drove their cars and didn't care that the front has stone nicks. Somehow people were able to live with themselves and get on with their lives.

Unless your car is collectable and intend to keep it for a long long time, I'd argue that PPF is poor value. My wife's car doesn't have PPF and I look at the wear and tear on it after 5 years, and it looks pitted and chipped (as a car has actually been used, not a garage queen), and in the end, I will still sleep well at night. The same car will probably be rusted out in another 8 years from just driving in truckloads of salt they dump onto the roads.

If PPF was something you did once, and lasted forever, I'd be more inclined to spend $$$ on a full treatment, but after about 5 or 7 years, if I really cared about my car looking pristine, I wouldn't be happy with the wear and tear on the PPF and I'd have to do it all over again. Am I going to spend another $2K replacing all the front PPF on a 8 year old car? On my last car, large rocks that hit the PPF made visible tears on the PPF, and it looks crappy too. And some still dented the surface. PPF helped but has limits.

I'm not a young guy anymore, well into middle aged......and one thing I regret is wasting too much of my life worrying about my car looking pristine. Too much time waxing, detailing.

My recommendation is: cover the front surfaces in the direct line of fire with stones, and maybe other high wear areas like the spray from the wheels.....if you have a nice car which you intend to keep for a while. And just go ahead and enjoy "driving" it.
warpdrive, I hear you.

I too was OCD years ago about protecting the Vehicles Front Hood & Bumper and got a Full Front NoseMask (Don't laugh). It actually helped protect the Front End. But nowadays, Nobody uses this anymore. or uses Front Plastic Deflectors.

I picked up a Used Vehicle in 2019 and it was in Excellent condition. I've been debating to PPF or not because of the Cost. And I want to keep it in very good condition.

And as you mentioned, no matter what you do, SOMETHING is bound to happen while you're driving, no matter if you have PPF or not.

I was thinking something like this just for the Front Hood:
https://autofrontmask.com/collections/hood-bras
😎
Deal Expert
User avatar
Mar 6, 2003
16257 posts
7966 upvotes
Ottawa
Webhead wrote: warpdrive, I hear you.

I too was OCD years ago about protecting the Vehicles Front Hood & Bumper and got a Full Front NoseMask (Don't laugh). It actually helped protect the Front End. But nowadays, Nobody uses this anymore. or uses Front Plastic Deflectors.
My car got nailed by a rock literally hours after I picked it up, ON THE SIDE DOOR right in the middle. Dented, and chipped. Very bad luck. Was in a bad mood for an hour and then I forgot about it. Later I touched it up when I had the chance.

The thing that still gets me is that, in our climate with salt trucks, cars are highly disposable items. I had a summer driven only car, and after 10 years, looking underneath, it looked very clean and completely rust free. It was a shock how much better it looked than my other car driven through 2 winters.

PPF is the best solution we have but it's still imperfect and there are tradeoffs (namely the price)
This is RedFlagDeals, not RedFlagCheapskates. Rich or poor, we all want our deals so we can buy even more stuff we may or may not need.

Top