Home & Garden

Do you or Can you TRUST/BELIEVE all the HOMESTAR reviews and ratings ?

• Last Updated:
  • Mar 27th, 2020 9:46 am
Tags:
None
[OP]
Banned
Jun 21, 2016
13 posts
4 upvotes

Do you or Can you TRUST/BELIEVE all the HOMESTAR reviews and ratings ?

https://homestars.com/on/toronto

Do you trust or believe any of the Homestar reviews ? Almost all the companies seem to have between 9 to 10 rating out of 10 :cheesygri

Usually on the internet people tend to complain more when things go wrong and don't praise or report things, when they go right. Generally complaints and negative reviews are more than positive reviews.

So I am surprised almost all the reviews on Homestars are great or 9 to 10 for Homestar companies. Does Homestar remove any negative reviews ?

Does the company/contractor which is negatively reviewed threaten or scare any negative reviewer and force them to take down the review ? Are friends, family, owner, employees themselves posting all the positive reviews ?
28 replies
Mar 1, 2015
184 posts
96 upvotes
Toronto
I've used homestars three times in the past 2 years and it hasn't steered me wrong.
Oct 17, 2002
989 posts
180 upvotes
Oakville
I've tried to leave a negative review for an AC company (it was a situation where I booked it well in advance, called the day before to confirm, and then no show the next day). In my profile it shows that it's approved, but it never got posted on that company's homestars page. Not sure if this is the norm though.
Deal Addict
May 23, 2009
2836 posts
1308 upvotes
Mississauga
I've left a 1 star and a 7 star for two companies and they got posted on homestars.

I don't not trust the reviews 100% but trust it enough to read each with a grain of salt as well as add mine to the site.
Deal Expert
Feb 8, 2014
20065 posts
7411 upvotes
Socially Distanced
Its a scam, search RFD and you will find lots of threads on it
In fact in Rand McNally they wear hats on their feet and hamburders eat people
Nov 14, 2013
498 posts
160 upvotes
Brampton, Ontario
I posted about least 10 reviews there. All of them were positive. None of them had google reviews setup else I would have gone through that route
Deal Expert
Dec 26, 2005
16941 posts
1785 upvotes
Thornhill
KennyX wrote: I've tried to leave a negative review for an AC company (it was a situation where I booked it well in advance, called the day before to confirm, and then no show the next day). In my profile it shows that it's approved, but it never got posted on that company's homestars page. Not sure if this is the norm though.
I think one of the scammish things is that you must have paid the contractor or your post can be removed.

bjl
What we do in life echoes in Eternity... and in Google cache.
RFD discounts for Schluter products
Deal Expert
Feb 8, 2014
20065 posts
7411 upvotes
Socially Distanced
OP was banned pretty quickly, whats the story there?
Jun 5, 2010
421 posts
15 upvotes
Toronto
KennyX wrote: I've tried to leave a negative review for an AC company (it was a situation where I booked it well in advance, called the day before to confirm, and then no show the next day). In my profile it shows that it's approved, but it never got posted on that company's homestars page. Not sure if this is the norm though.
Same situation - I believe if they never actually do the work, the review will not show.
If they do bad work and you review them negative, it will show up.
Deal Expert
Feb 8, 2014
20065 posts
7411 upvotes
Socially Distanced
epiczz wrote: If they do bad work and you review them negative, it will show up.
I have personal experience that says no, they deleted my review and ignored my messages. The company maintains its almost perfect rating.
Deal Expert
May 10, 2005
36183 posts
10323 upvotes
Ottawa
Quentin5 wrote: I have personal experience that says no, they deleted my review and ignored my messages. The company maintains its almost perfect rating.
I too posted a negative (not too bad but neutral at best) review and it went up for a couple days then went down. No reason, no response to my questioning and of course, the company would not respond back either,
The Government cannot give to anybody anything that the Government does not first take from somebody else.
Jun 1, 2010
629 posts
165 upvotes
Homestars is a business. They want contractors to pay to be high on the rankings. If you don't pay the monthly fee $150 when a search is done and the potential client clicks on your company Homestars advertises another company in your category. We are on Homestars but do not pay for it. Since we are a reputable company and care about the work we do and that our clients are pleased we have had no negative reviews. We are not perfect and have make mistakes but have always made it right with our client. I do know other contactors that have told me(not sure if true)that they have been able to have negative reviews removed by their sales person at homestars.
See our 2021 RFD Trane AC Group Buy
group-buy-gta-ottawa-2021-central-ac-gr ... e-2449494/
Deal Addict
Mar 26, 2015
2573 posts
436 upvotes
BC
It's a scam. There's heaps of threads about it and a lot on the internet.

In one case, one of the top Homestars companies did not fulfill its duties and then went off the radar.

What it does is this apparently: you have to pay them. The ones who pay them a lot get good service: positive reviews are posted, negative reviews are removed.

You get an account manager who tells you which customers are complaining so you can go "manage" them etc.

It's a scam and a sham.

Google Homestars Scam.
Go Raptors, Go!
Deal Addict
Mar 26, 2015
2573 posts
436 upvotes
BC
lebroncrosby wrote: https://homestars.com/on/toronto

Does the company/contractor which is negatively reviewed threaten or scare any negative reviewer and force them to take down the review ? Are friends, family, owner, employees themselves posting all the positive reviews ?
Without a doubt.
Homestars used to have a forum. Tonnes of people posted about this. They let all fake positive reviews pass if you pay, it seems, and challenge negatives ones from real customers.

They "deleted" their forum enmasse a little while back.
I wonder why.

Truth hurts their business, opaqueness supports it.
Go Raptors, Go!
Penalty Box
Nov 23, 2012
1451 posts
264 upvotes
Toronto
So the site is a fake representation of the real world and results in purposely misleads the consumer. Does that mean it is breaking Ontario consumer laws? Just speculating but I think maybe.
Deal Addict
Apr 7, 2012
2542 posts
632 upvotes
Toronto
No, I don't take those reviews seriously at all.
Because they're filtered.

Reason why: as a business owner, I've been approached by HS to alter a poor review my company received. For a dollar incentive, the review can be hidden (removed).
It's not a coincidence the highest rated companies, also have the most reviews.

They're like the Better Business Bureau. The more you "invest", the 'better' your reviews.
Deal Expert
Jan 27, 2006
16754 posts
9530 upvotes
Vancouver, BC
I only use HomeStars as a part of the review story. I'll also google them which will typically turn up reviews on Yelp, Facebook, Google as well as the BBB. If there are multiple sources of information confirming the direction of the reviews, then things would probably be OKAY. I did find one company who had the same review (word for word) from multiple sources.

I also give more weight to the companies who leave critical reviews up (ie. ones that might be a 9 but include a small complaint or two).
Deal Addict
Mar 26, 2015
2573 posts
436 upvotes
BC
MrsPotato wrote: No, I don't take those reviews seriously at all.
Because they're filtered.

Reason why: as a business owner, I've been approached by HS to alter a poor review my company received. For a dollar incentive, the review can be hidden (removed).
It's not a coincidence the highest rated companies, also have the most reviews.

They're like the Better Business Bureau. The more you "invest", the 'better' your reviews.
I didn't realize the BBB operated the same way. So disappointing.
Go Raptors, Go!
Deal Addict
Mar 26, 2015
2573 posts
436 upvotes
BC
I left a bad review on Homestars - they held it under pending review. Then the boss of the company who was a jerk up until then, suddenly called me, was responsive, willing to do something now. I knew it was a farce, the system, right then and there.
Go Raptors, Go!