Deal Addict
Aug 8, 2005
3467 posts
187 upvotes
GTA
Stolen from another site

The dill on pickle juice

Athletes like it because...

Professional, college and high school football teams are beginning to clamor for pickle juice for their players as a way to stave off muscle cramps. Mr. Crisp opines that the salt content, along with the acetic acid (vinegar), in pickle juice make it attractive to athletic trainers and players.

Pickle juice contains salt, calcium chloride and vinegar, in addition to flavorings (dill, bread & butter, etc). The basic ingredients are similar to what you would find in isotonic drinks. Where pickle juice has acetic acid, isotonic drinks contain citric acid.
Deal Addict
Jan 16, 2006
1320 posts
68 upvotes
Toronto
I like eating pickles but never tried drinking the juice. I remember Al Bundy from married of children drinks the juice.
Deal Fanatic
Jan 26, 2003
5334 posts
780 upvotes
Where's the "hell no!" smiley?

Personally, pickles are good on burgers or sandwiches or in relish form. But that's about it.
He .... looka lika MAN!
I tell you every ting!
----------------------------------------------------
If you haven't figured it out yet ... i'm not a female. Have you ever watched MADtv?
Deal Addict
Nov 15, 2005
4550 posts
2623 upvotes
It's right up there on my list of things to drink beside olive oil and soya sauce.
Deal Addict
Jan 27, 2006
1508 posts
1 upvote
haha i think im going to try this :twisted:
i love pickles, just as i love olives, Seriously i could polish jars off in one sitting.
I literally have to tell myself to stop. hahaha.
Deal Addict
Jan 27, 2006
1508 posts
1 upvote
**UPDATE**
i am now a pickle juice sipper.
ahahahhaha :cheesygri
Deal Addict
May 5, 2005
2206 posts
1 upvote
I don't drink pickle juice regularly but occasionally I will take a sip.

I agree that it tastes good.
I thought maybe drinking all that vinegar would be bad for you but I guess not since athletes are drinking it.

if you don't want to throw out the pickle juice- you could cut up a cucumber or radish/daikon/carrots and soak them in the pickle juice.
Deal Addict
Nov 12, 2003
4289 posts
679 upvotes
Toronto
All you pickle juice drinkers, I shall now call you Pickle-Heads.
Mar 23, 2006
418 posts
5 upvotes
I like pickles and always ask for them on the side, but to drink the juice.... I'll try it next time i get a jar of pickles but I don't think I'll like it.

I do however love grapefruit juice diluted with water (3/4 juice, 1/4 water) and Absolutely NO SUGAR. I find grapefruit juice with sugar is disgusting.
Nov 6, 2003
953 posts
86 upvotes
Edmonton
I'll love taking a little sip of pickle juice here and there. Quite good IMO. But I like sour and acidic stuff to begin with. If you're really brave, drink the brine from pickled hot pepper rings, or pepperocini peppers :lol: .
Click on these links to see my Heatware evals and my eBay.ca feedback summary.
Deal Addict
Dec 27, 2005
1053 posts
5 upvotes
Toronto
For a while when I was a kid, I was addicted to pickles.. I love sour and acidic stuff also and half the reason you would eat a pickle is for the pickled dill juice flavor in the actual pickle. Would it not make sense to take a sip from the water if that flavor is appealing to you...

For all those people who claim to like pickles but find the juice to be disgusting, THAT'S just weird.
Deal Fanatic
May 19, 2003
5101 posts
718 upvotes
Ancaster
Fallen_Paladin wrote:I do however love grapefruit juice diluted with water (3/4 juice, 1/4 water) and Absolutely NO SUGAR. I find grapefruit juice with sugar is disgusting.
Finally, a kindred spirit! Although I drink grapefruit juice w/o any water.

I went on a cottage trip w/ a bunch of friends once and I bought grapefruit juice, with the expectation that I'll be the only one drinking it. I was surprised to find one or two other people who loved it, and by the end of the trip the entire troupe was hooked :cheesygri
Deal Expert
Mar 7, 2005
18841 posts
1955 upvotes
Elmira
I'd almost pay to see someone drink a whole jar of brine.. that is truely nasty to drink it straight up IMO!!
Deal Addict
Dec 4, 2004
2740 posts
51 upvotes
Calgary
I drink it at times, depending how I feel. Usually a few sips, then I pour it out. My cousin had a bad experience with that, he had cheese, then ate a jar of pickles, drank the whole jar. Resulted in WASHROOM! :lol:
Deal Addict
Mar 29, 2006
3615 posts
51 upvotes
Slippery_Pete wrote:Its good for a hangover supposedly. In Russia they've canned the brine and sell it as a hangover remedy. I have sipped it before, but I don't think I could drink a whole jar of it.
FYI there are 2 VERY different types of pickle juice brine. One is vinegary stuff from marinated pickles and another is from what's known here as "sour" or "kosher-style" pickles. 99% of pickles sold in Canada (and 100% of pickles not kept in store's fridge) is marinated stuff with awful lot of vinegar in it. Drinking full jar of this may stuff may make gaping hole in your tummy nature wasn't planning for.

Russians drink "sour" pickle brine as hangover remedy. It's really good because it restores salt balance in your body. And it best when drank fresh, not "canned" (actually I never heard of such thing as "canned brine").

Another wonderful usage for sour pickle brine - to poach fish in it or just add glass of it to fish soup before you add salt. Adds acidity and flavour (accidentally spices used for pickles also working miracles with fish).