Home & Garden

Locked: Do you feel that you OWN your front lawn? (plus a story)

  • Last Updated:
  • Feb 19th, 2017 5:47 pm
Tags:
[OP]
Sr. Member
User avatar
Jul 4, 2015
793 posts
195 upvotes
Stouffville

Do you feel that you OWN your front lawn? (plus a story)

Walking my dog yesterday & this guy is giving me shit because my dog is smelling there. He tells me to stop having my dog crap/pee on his lawn because I don't pick it up. I informed him that I pick up after my dog all the time, and I can't exactly tell my dog where to crap. He says I should do a better job training my pet to listen to me, because his kids run around on the lawn there.

I told my dog to sit, lay down, roll over, and talk, (in front of him) and then I asked him if his children listen to him as well as my dog listens to me? I asked him if his children are trained to look out for shit when they walk on the front lawn. Now that was a bit aggressive, so I said to him next, exact words:

"Hey, I apologize as coming across as rude, but you're attacking me for no reason. First, you don't own the land you are telling me to stop at, but i'll move because you asked me to. Just a tip, if you continue to talk down on people like you did to me, they're purposely bring their dogs over here. Just something to think about."

Then as he's distracted at me, cars are waiting because one of his untrained children has decided to play in the street.



So back to the question at hand - how much control do you feel you have over your front lawn? For myself, I feel it's mine as in I get to look at it, and landscape & garden it. But I can't control who steps on it, or who plays on it, like this guy thinks he does. He doesn't like pets on his lawn, I get it. But kids all the time are walking on my lawn after school, and people are always stopping with their pets there too. That's what happens in a community, no?
Share:
41 replies
Deal Guru
Feb 9, 2006
12252 posts
6803 upvotes
Brampton
Do I technically have control over it up to the property line? Yes. Its called trespassing.
Do I fret every second about a bit of poo, pee or children running on it? No. Ain't nobody got time for that.

Additional thought: You may consider your pets your children but they are not children. It is insulting to parents to compare pets to children. If you want to extend your logic of well trained tricks interpreted as good "listening" you're also worse than the dog.
Deal Addict
Aug 19, 2013
2397 posts
1080 upvotes
Actually he does own it. And you may not like it but he does have every right to tell you to not let your dog pee on his lawn. Dog pee can actually damage HIS grass. Just like I have the right to tell kids to not run on my front lawn. Again, kids constantly running on a lawn can damage it.

Maybe it doesn't make for the best neighbours to be yelling at people like that, but it's his right. And you should be a good neighbour and respect his wishes. If you dog is well trained that just don't let him go on that particular lawn.
Deal Expert
User avatar
May 10, 2005
36183 posts
10323 upvotes
Ottawa
Momof3cuties wrote: Actually he does own it. And you may not like it but he does have every right to tell you to not let your dog pee on his lawn. Dog pee can actually damage HIS grass. Just like I have the right to tell kids to not run on my front lawn. Again, kids constantly running on a lawn can damage it.

Maybe it doesn't make for the best neighbours to be yelling at people like that, but it's his right. And you should be a good neighbour and respect his wishes. If you dog is well trained that just don't let him go on that particular lawn.
I agree.
Allowing your dog to pee on my lawn and then I have to repair the yellow burnt grass from your dog is inconsiderate of you. Run your dog around your lawn and yard and let them do their business, then there would not be a problem with the neighbors.
The Government cannot give to anybody anything that the Government does not first take from somebody else.
Deal Addict
Aug 28, 2014
2423 posts
591 upvotes
Toronto, ON
You should clarify that you mean curbside grass, not the actual front lawn.

And very few things compare to the disgust I feel when I see a dog owner approach my house, a park or any place really.
Deal Addict
User avatar
Dec 12, 2005
4351 posts
433 upvotes
Greater Toronto Area
If it is within his property line it's his lawn but you two could have handled it like adults.
[OP]
Sr. Member
User avatar
Jul 4, 2015
793 posts
195 upvotes
Stouffville
tebore wrote: Do I technically have control over it up to the property line? Yes. Its called trespassing.
Do I fret every second about a bit of poo, pee or children running on it? No. Ain't nobody got time for that.

Additional thought: You may consider your pets your children but they are not children. It is insulting to parents to compare pets to children. If you want to extend your logic of well trained tricks interpreted as good "listening" you're also worse than the dog.
I don't consider my pets as children, I consider them my pets. They're only similar in the fact that a lot of the time they don't know any better, and I have them to feel good, same way parents have children. Now, is it insulting because my dog is better trained then the other person's children, or because i'm a better pet owner then that man was a father? He'd maybe be a better father if he spent time watching his children, instead of complaining about people who walk by his house.

Now, when I walk by his house, i'm going to just pull my dog along and not stop there, but the point I was making is, if he was more polite about it, MORE people would do the same.
Momof3cuties wrote: Actually he does own it. And you may not like it but he does have every right to tell you to not let your dog pee on his lawn. Dog pee can actually damage HIS grass. Just like I have the right to tell kids to not run on my front lawn. Again, kids constantly running on a lawn can damage it.

Maybe it doesn't make for the best neighbours to be yelling at people like that, but it's his right. And you should be a good neighbour and respect his wishes. If you dog is well trained that just don't let him go on that particular lawn.
I'm going to assume you're the mother of 3 children. If your children are playing out front and they step on your neighbors lawn, and he says not to let them, and they do it again accidentally, you would claim that "Kids will be kids" right? Can the same not apply to dogs? If I have a sign up on my lawn that says "please do not walk on lawn" and kids are walking by, is it not up to their parents to respect the wishes of that home owner? The answer, in my opinion, is yes. But there are different ways of going about it, in my opinion.
nabiul wrote: You should clarify that you mean curbside grass, not the actual front lawn.

And very few things compare to the disgust I feel when I see a dog owner approach my house, a park or any place really.
Why do you feel that way? Do you just hate pets, or do you feel that animals should only be allowed to go to the bathroom in their own backyards? If that's the case, shouldn't your kids only play in your backyard as well? Should people only be allowed to run around their property? Parks are paid for by tax dollars, so if i'm paying for something, i'm going to use it.
gizmo8 wrote: If it is within his property line it's his lawn but you two could have handled it like adults.
You're right, but a real adult would be watching his children, not playing police officer to every person walking their dog.
Deal Addict
Aug 19, 2013
2397 posts
1080 upvotes
TagYoureIt wrote: I don't consider my pets as children, I consider them my pets. They're only similar in the fact that a lot of the time they don't know any better, and I have them to feel good, same way parents have children. Now, is it insulting because my dog is better trained then the other person's children, or because i'm a better pet owner then that man was a father? He'd maybe be a better father if he spent time watching his children, instead of complaining about people who walk by his house.

Now, when I walk by his house, i'm going to just pull my dog along and not stop there, but the point I was making is, if he was more polite about it, MORE people would do the same.



I'm going to assume you're the mother of 3 children. If your children are playing out front and they step on your neighbors lawn, and he says not to let them, and they do it again accidentally, you would claim that "Kids will be kids" right? Can the same not apply to dogs? If I have a sign up on my lawn that says "please do not walk on lawn" and kids are walking by, is it not up to their parents to respect the wishes of that home owner? The answer, in my opinion, is yes. But there are different ways of going about it, in my opinion.



Why do you feel that way? Do you just hate pets, or do you feel that animals should only be allowed to go to the bathroom in their own backyards? If that's the case, shouldn't your kids only play in your backyard as well? Should people only be allowed to run around their property? Parks are paid for by tax dollars, so if i'm paying for something, i'm going to use it.



You're right, but a real adult would be watching his children, not playing police officer to every person walking their dog.
You are very right that I am a mom of 3 children. But you are wrong on everything else. I actually don't need to wait for my neighbour to tell my kids to not run all over their lawn. Because I respect my neighbours property and tell my kids to stay off other peoples lawns without being asked.

I've also been a dog owner in the past (my last dog passed away about 5 years ago and we haven't gotten another). And again I would do the respectful thing and try and avoid my dog going on others property. I would have her run around and go in our yard before leaving for a walk, and my dog was trained to know that a walk was for excercise and she would walk by my side the entire time (in the heal position). She wouldn't go on other people's lawns.
Deal Addict
Aug 28, 2014
2423 posts
591 upvotes
Toronto, ON
Bad parents who raise disrespectful children doesn't excuse the behavior of dog owners.

I made the mistake of visiting an off leash park in winter once, fing place was covered in dog turds blanketing the snow.

Kids shouldn't be playing on other peoples property, and neither should your disgusting poop machine. I bet you let it lick your face too after it's finished cleaning itself.
Deal Expert
User avatar
May 10, 2005
36183 posts
10323 upvotes
Ottawa
TagYoureIt wrote: I don't consider my pets as children, I consider them my pets. They're only similar in the fact that a lot of the time they don't know any better, and I have them to feel good, same way parents have children. Now, is it insulting because my dog is better trained then the other person's children, or because i'm a better pet owner then that man was a father? He'd maybe be a better father if he spent time watching his children, instead of complaining about people who walk by his house.

Now, when I walk by his house, i'm going to just pull my dog along and not stop there, but the point I was making is, if he was more polite about it, MORE people would do the same.



I'm going to assume you're the mother of 3 children. If your children are playing out front and they step on your neighbors lawn, and he says not to let them, and they do it again accidentally, you would claim that "Kids will be kids" right? Can the same not apply to dogs? If I have a sign up on my lawn that says "please do not walk on lawn" and kids are walking by, is it not up to their parents to respect the wishes of that home owner? The answer, in my opinion, is yes. But there are different ways of going about it, in my opinion.



Why do you feel that way? Do you just hate pets, or do you feel that animals should only be allowed to go to the bathroom in their own backyards? If that's the case, shouldn't your kids only play in your backyard as well? Should people only be allowed to run around their property? Parks are paid for by tax dollars, so if i'm paying for something, i'm going to use it.



You're right, but a real adult would be watching his children, not playing police officer to every person walking their dog.
Wow, you are certainly way off here.
Your dog pisses and shits on other peoples lawns. You are responsible for that.
maybe he confronted you because your dog dumped there many times and he finally said something to you? You are a seriously entitled person...even trying to compare children and their upbringing to your dog is disgusting.
The Government cannot give to anybody anything that the Government does not first take from somebody else.
Deal Addict
Sep 21, 2011
1796 posts
505 upvotes
Momof3cuties wrote: You are very right that I am a mom of 3 children. But you are wrong on everything else. I actually don't need to wait for my neighbour to tell my kids to not run all over their lawn. Because I respect my neighbours property and tell my kids to stay off other peoples lawns without being asked.

I've also been a dog owner in the past (my last dog passed away about 5 years ago and we haven't gotten another). And again I would do the respectful thing and try and avoid my dog going on others property. I would have her run around and go in our yard before leaving for a walk, and my dog was trained to know that a walk was for excercise and she would walk by my side the entire time (in the heal position). She wouldn't go on other people's lawns.
wouldnt have guessed it lol
Deal Expert
Oct 6, 2005
16599 posts
2314 upvotes
I hate it when dog owners crap on my front lawn; many think it's perfectly OK to do so.

Another pet peeve is when real estate agents litter the "public" side of my lawn with signs. I remove each and every one of them.
Penalty Box
User avatar
Oct 13, 2008
4792 posts
1734 upvotes
Look at the land survey and you will see your property line. Question answered.
16'x11' Living Room 11' Cathedral Ceiling. Hisense 65Q8G. Denon AVR-S740H 7.2 setup. Jamo Classic 10 280W Towers - FR+FL; Polk S35 - Center; Klipsch R51M - RR+RL; Klipsch R14M - Dolby FHR+FHL; Polk HTS10 Subwoofer x2. Unlocked Android Boxes from Taiwan x2
Deal Addict
Sep 2, 2010
1766 posts
804 upvotes
Ontario
Like most front lawns, the city probably owns the first few feet, with a road allowance of x feet from the centre line, usually the width of the road+sidewalk+a few feet. The city owns about 10 feet of my front lawn since I don't have a sidewalk. Try getting them to cut it though :(
Banned
Oct 17, 2016
378 posts
132 upvotes
Oshawa, Ontario
I have a sidewalk splitting up my lawn ... the section between the sidewalk and road ... I rarely care about it ... there's a massive electrical box out there. I just merely mow it ... that's it.

I never water that section of the lawn and I never fertilize it. It's a waste of resources. It belongs to the government. In the winter ... I use regular old school road salt and when I shovel ... I pile that crap in that section.
Mitsubishi Lancer RULES.
Banned
Oct 17, 2016
378 posts
132 upvotes
Oshawa, Ontario
eager beaver wrote: Like most front lawns, the city probably owns the first few feet, with a road allowance of x feet from the centre line, usually the width of the road+sidewalk+a few feet. The city owns about 10 feet of my front lawn since I don't have a sidewalk. Try getting them to cut it though :(
My moms place has a full length double driveway ... no sidewalk.

So when I do her lawn .. I do the same thing ... just take care of the lawn up to the area of the Bell and Rogers box .. just mow and leave it. No need to make it look extremely nice ... that patch of grass is ugly ... but who cares.
Mitsubishi Lancer RULES.
Deal Guru
User avatar
Mar 14, 2005
13533 posts
2337 upvotes
City of Vancouver
Property owners own the area within their property line. The other areas beside the sidewalk, they are caretakers of. Fences, locks, prickly bushes, cameras, etc. are needed to enforce proper public behaviour because disrespect and selfishness is just part of human behaviour.
De gustibus non est disputandum
Reverse dysfunction one step at a time.
Adversity is a growth opportunity. Change happens at the periphery.
Deal Addict
User avatar
Jun 12, 2008
2931 posts
602 upvotes
Ancaster
SellKijijiOshawa wrote: I have a sidewalk splitting up my lawn ... the section between the sidewalk and road ... I rarely care about it ... there's a massive electrical box out there. I just merely mow it ... that's it.

I never water that section of the lawn and I never fertilize it. It's a waste of resources. It belongs to the government. In the winter ... I use regular old school road salt and when I shovel ... I pile that crap in that section.
It's probably similar in most municipalities, but the city owns the property from the curb to your water main cap. In some neighbourhoods they'll be located in the lawn & sometimes right in your driveway.
Deal Fanatic
Dec 5, 2009
5684 posts
3433 upvotes
Glad to hear you are one of the good dog owners and pick up after your dog , but unfortunately many, many people do not. It's really annoying to have to walk around dodging a minefield of dog poop everywhere. Guy was probably annoyed by that and took it out on you.

P.s. He absolutely owns his front lawn.
Deal Fanatic
User avatar
Oct 19, 2008
6647 posts
2253 upvotes
GTA
coolspot wrote: I hate it when dog owners crap on my front lawn; many think it's perfectly OK to do so.
That is disgusting-bad neighbourhood?

Top