Tags:
[OP]
Deal Expert
Jan 27, 2006
19318 posts
3006 upvotes
Woodbridge

Do you get up when the plane lands?

I've seen it so many times on Instagram. I recently got back from Manila...

I'll admit I used to get up but since then I just sit back and relax, go on my phone (if I'm able to, data available) and wonder why do they all get up and rush to get their carry on.

Who cares if you get out first. I landed in Manila and customs surprisingly went quickly but then it took almost an hour to get my luggages.

Back it Toronto it was even worse, customs was a PITA and pick up was a nightmare. They drop off became a parking lot. I learned they NEED police officers especially at this time of the year. Security was useless AF. Sorry for rambling. LOL

It makes my point valid why the rush to get out of the plane.
"I'll put up color bars before I'll put you in front of our cameras."

- MacKenzie
THE NEWSROOM (HBO)
40 replies
Deal Fanatic
Aug 3, 2006
5044 posts
1760 upvotes
Yes, because I'm an idiot. My carry on isn't going anywhere. Us passengers aren't going anywhere for at least a good 5+ minutes. Rushing to customs makes no difference as there will be another flight of disembarked passengers ahead anyways. Everyone still waits the same amount of time for baggage to come out. I'm just an idiot. Might as well stretch the legs though.
Deal Addict
Aug 3, 2017
1048 posts
809 upvotes
If I'm in the aisle I do, it's a chance to stretch the legs and get my stuff together. I've found post covid people forget the etiquette of allowing the people in front to get up and to sit if in the middle or window seats.
Deal Fanatic
Nov 13, 2010
7740 posts
1779 upvotes
Scarborough
Some of us get forced to get up bcaz the others seated with you become impatient and want to get their aisle and get that bag.
It truly is a circus thst time
Aug 12, 2014
527 posts
373 upvotes
Toronto, ON
bembol wrote:
Back it Toronto it was even worse, customs was a PITA and pick up was a nightmare. They drop off became a parking lot. I learned they NEED police officers especially at this time of the year. Security was useless AF. Sorry for rambling. LOL

if you need to transfer, it makes sense to hurry. even if one knows that he will miss the connecting flight, it is better to hurry to line up at the transfer desk to rebook.
Deal Guru
Mar 8, 2002
13155 posts
4266 upvotes
GTA
I'm one of the last on to a flight and wait until my row is clearing before standing up to "deplane".

( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)
Deal Expert
Feb 7, 2017
23478 posts
22426 upvotes
Eastern Ontario
wirespeed wrote: if you need to transfer, it makes sense to hurry. even if one knows that he will miss the connecting flight, it is better to hurry to line up at the transfer desk to rebook.
This is most definitely the biggest issue

Honestly, I wish flight attendants would work with this issue ALL THE TIME
Just like the planes now seat people by Zones

“please be curious … and allow anyone that has a connecting flight in the next 15 minutes to exit first”
Then another announcement for within the next 30 minutes
And within the next hour

It would definitely be not only the courteous thing to do
But better for all involved
The pax who need to connect
Plus the airlines who otherwise have to compensate / reassign people who miss their connection

Cuz let’s face it …
If you aren’t connecting
You are standing around inside just frickin waiting for your luggage to arrive
So even if you are the very last one off the plane
Chances are high … you still have to wait
Luggage can be extremely sllllooooow to show up

Realize tho this all would be by the honour system
And some people will cheat
But I think most folks would be understanding / honest
Appreciating this when it benefits them and their circumstance
Deal Guru
Mar 8, 2002
13155 posts
4266 upvotes
GTA
PointsHubby wrote:

It would definitely be not only the courteous thing to do
But better for all involved
The pax who need to connect
Plus the airlines who otherwise have to compensate / reassign people who miss their connection

Realize tho this all would be by the honour system
And some people will cheat
But I think most folks would be understanding / honest
Appreciating this when it benefits them and their circumstance
Great idea. Must be horrible if you're getting close to your connecting time and there's 100 people in your way.

Wouldn't have to be the honour system. People could just show the attendants their connecting ticket. Not sure how much of a hassle this could be though.

( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)
Deal Addict
Jan 2, 2009
1912 posts
448 upvotes
I always think it’s funny specially when your at some sunny destination like Cancun or Puerto Vallarta, there are always people that are in a rush, and then at the we are all waiting for our luggage, and then the folks that were in such a hurry either their luggage comes off the belt last or it didn’t make it!!
Deal Addict
Dec 18, 2007
4698 posts
610 upvotes
Nah.
Take the seatbelt off asap though, but to deplane, no.
I do stand up a bit to stretch for a bit, but I can see my carry-on and my packed suitcase isn't going anywhere.

Once I'm off the plane, I take a quick walk to the luggage belt though since many airports have public access to suitcases and thieves are about.

It is a bit of an annoyance when someone is incredibly slow getting off the plane though, but no point in getting all upset about it.
Apr 30, 2021
313 posts
238 upvotes
YHM
Some people who required wheelchairs are healed miraculously sometime during the flight, and are able to move like their 20 year-old selves post-flight.

Such flights are ones to/from Florida or the Caribbean.
Deal Expert
Feb 7, 2017
23478 posts
22426 upvotes
Eastern Ontario
Hugh Jass wrote: Great idea. Must be horrible if you're getting close to your connecting time and there's 100 people in your way.

Wouldn't have to be the honour system. People could just show the attendants their connecting ticket. Not sure how much of a hassle this could be though.
Ya too time consuming
Extra job for Flight Attendants

As for us …
It has happened to me far too often
When unfortunately the first flight was delayed (usually cuz of weather )
Hour or an hour & half or so, is a good amount of time to make a connection in most airports here in Canada
But if the first flight is delayed
And you are coming thru a hub like Montreal, Toronto, Calgary, or Vancouver
And are staring down anything under 45 minutes
It can be a nightmare
Esp if you have to change terminals or concourses / zones

We’ve lucked out on some occasions
Where esp the likes of Air Canada have held flights for multiple pax (not just us)
But we have also found ourselves stuck either having to rebook
Or limp across country as best we can
Like having a 2 flight itinerary become 3 or 4 flights

Inconvenient … but still beats sleeping in the terminal

This week has been a doozy all across Canada & the USA
For many travellers
Cuz of this massive weather event
That’s brought everything from … rain to tornadoes, freezing rain, sleet, snow and blizzard conditions
Not to mention a polar vortex with crazy lows
High winds … and stuff like - 30, - 40, even - 50 with windchill temps
And it’s probably gonna be a week before things catch up and get back to normal
Clear out the backlog of stranded pax, and move planes to where they need to be
Back on track … back on schedule

I wish anyone travelling this week all the best
And May patience be a virtue

And anyone travelling by car …
Stay safe
Make wise choices !!!
Deal Guru
Mar 8, 2002
13155 posts
4266 upvotes
GTA
PointsHubby wrote: Ya too time consuming
Extra job for Flight Attendants

This week has been a doozy all across Canada & the USA
For many travellers
Cuz of this massive weather event

I think this has been an excellent lesson for the future. After seeing the chaos of this weekend, I'll never leave holiday travel to the last second.

( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)
Deal Expert
Feb 7, 2017
23478 posts
22426 upvotes
Eastern Ontario
Hugh Jass wrote: I think this has been an excellent lesson for the future. After seeing the chaos of this weekend, I'll never leave holiday travel to the last second.
Problem is …
Not everyone has that luxury cuz of work & time off
(Or kids going to school right up to the 23rd or 24th )

But ya …
If one can swing it
It makes sense to leave sooner than later
To at least avoid the heavy crowds
And the inevitable delays that brings

Weather events …
They are a Crap shoot

People travelling to and from BC as early as the 20th
Got SLAMMED by Snowstorm # 2 of their 2022 Season
All unprecedented events
Let alone 3 in the last 30 days
Jul 7, 2019
741 posts
958 upvotes
Oilers Country
It all depends on what point we are at in our journey.

If we're on the first or second leg of a multi-segment itinerary (e.g. YEG-YUL-FRA-ZAG) there is no sense in getting up any earlier than we have to. We're just going to have to stand around and wait as the aisle ahead of us clears, slow as molasses. And there's really no advantage to doing so because we won't have bags to pick up until our destination, so there's no rush to a carousel. On the final leg when we have to get our bags, then we are antsy to get off the aircraft, but at most airports baggage reclaim takes an eternity anyway. What's the sense in getting all stressed, racing out of the plane and downstairs to the baggage hall, only to have to stand around by some carousel which hasn't even started moving yet.

We generally design our tickets to allow for generous layovers (two or three hours plus) as a safety margin. But it's amazing how quickly even a generous time between connecting flights can get eaten up. Say an inbound aircraft that's late, plus delays at the connecting airport, and suddenly one's margin for error becomes pretty slim. In that case we do want to get off the aircraft as quickly as possible and on to our next gate. A handful of times in the past we've mentioned to a flight attendant about a connection that's suddenly become tight and have been let off ahead of other passengers (and we've seen this happen with other passengers when they have tight connections and we don't). it isn't in the carrier's interest for you to miss your flight any more than it's in yours.

We also find that airline staff are a LOT more understanding when you build an itinerary with comfortable margins that subsequently get eroded, rather than a passenger trying to swing an ultra-tight connection from the get-go.
Deal Fanatic
Jul 29, 2005
9120 posts
3012 upvotes
Mississauga
If I have a close connecting flight, I'll select aisle seats close to the front of the plane and I'll stand and grab my bag as soon as the flight touches the ground and won't let anyone push their way in front of me.
I'll stay seated if I'm at the back of the plane.

Canadians are polite tho compared to other countries. We have an unwritten understanding in allowing the rows in front to leave first in orderly fashion.
My food blog - Reggie The Food Critic.
Aug 16, 2010
539 posts
403 upvotes
Sudbury
I'm a "stander". I don't get up during the flight. So when it lands and I have a chance to stand up and stretch out my legs I do.

As for it being pointless. Sometimes maybe. But often it's not. Flew down to Cancun earlier this month and the difference between front of the plane and back was probably around 30mins by the time 400 pax got thru customs.

If you like to sit and wait then go ahead and do so. What I do won't impact you. So mind your business and stop judging other people.
Deal Expert
May 10, 2005
36455 posts
10770 upvotes
Ottawa
bembol wrote: I've seen it so many times on Instagram. I recently got back from Manila...

I'll admit I used to get up but since then I just sit back and relax, go on my phone (if I'm able to, data available) and wonder why do they all get up and rush to get their carry on.

Who cares if you get out first. I landed in Manila and customs surprisingly went quickly but then it took almost an hour to get my luggages.

I get up sometimes. I have been sitting for awhile so it is just to stretch and stand up.
You can never get off first unless you are sitting up front anyway.
Luggage and customs can always be a problem (and normally is in Canada), do not understand what help police can be.
Deal Expert
May 10, 2005
36455 posts
10770 upvotes
Ottawa
Hugh Jass wrote: Great idea. Must be horrible if you're getting close to your connecting time and there's 100 people in your way.

I have several times had very tight connections.
I told the flight attendant an hour before landing, they informed the captain and they supposedly contacted the gate.
The attendant also asked folks to remain seated as there were some passengers that had to run to the connections.
I have always made it :)