Travel

Do you guys call/email Hotel for a reservation confirmation?

• Last Updated:
  • Apr 3rd, 2019 5:26 pm

Poll: Do you contact Hotel for reservation confirmation? (multi selection poll)

• Total votes: 18. You have voted on this poll.
Yes, via phone

0%
Yes, via email

6%
No

89%
1 months or more before

0%
1 week ~ 1 month before

6%
Less than 1 week

0%
[OP]
Deal Addict
Mar 4, 2009
1759 posts
592 upvotes
Toronto

Do you guys call/email Hotel for a reservation confirmation?

When I use a 3rd party booking site to book a hotel, I usually email few weeks to a month before my stay to confirm my reservation.
It's usually 50/50 in terms of getting response back.

So far I never had a problem of my reservations even when I didn't get a response back.
However, my experience is only from NA and SE Asia.

Curious on if people contact hotel for reservation confirmation in general after booking with 3rd party site and if it's different for different continent.
8 replies
Deal Addict
Jun 15, 2015
2582 posts
1765 upvotes
Mississauga, ON
last_sd wrote: When I use a 3rd party booking site to book a hotel, I usually email few weeks to a month before my stay to confirm my reservation.
It's usually 50/50 in terms of getting response back.

So far I never had a problem of my reservations even when I didn't get a response back.
However, my experience is only from NA and SE Asia.

Curious on if people contact hotel for reservation confirmation in general after booking with 3rd party site and if it's different for different continent.
Never to confirm a reservation. Maybe if I had to communicate some info to them then yes but I always wait until minimum 7 days from departure.

Many hotels’ property management systems (PMS) don’t download all guest data until t-minus 7 days/ 73 hours / 48 hours or up to 24 hours prior to check in.

Example: so if you made a booking through booking.com for May 1st 2019 for 7 nights. They can see the occupancy levels and the rooms booked but can’t correlate you (MR Guest) to that reservation as the system has not downloaded the data. I’ve worked for Starwood / Marriott and generally (not always) reservations made via their central res/website automatically would hit PMS automatically populated with the guest info. Smaller hotels may only update info 3x daily as their liscence capabilities may only allow that.

There’s more logistics to why this practiced is used. But that’s the short version.

So it’s very possible and I’ve seen it before where a guest calls about a reservation weeks/months away and we wouldn’t have their info. If I searched via their reservation code from the 3rd party however I could see the reservation itself.
[OP]
Deal Addict
Mar 4, 2009
1759 posts
592 upvotes
Toronto
BrunetteGirl wrote: Never to confirm a reservation. Maybe if I had to communicate some info to them then yes but I always wait until minimum 7 days from departure.

Many hotels’ property management systems (PMS) don’t download all guest data until t-minus 7 days/ 73 hours / 48 hours or up to 24 hours prior to check in.

Example: so if you made a booking through booking.com for May 1st 2019 for 7 nights. They can see the occupancy levels and the rooms booked but can’t correlate you (MR Guest) to that reservation as the system has not downloaded the data. I’ve worked for Starwood / Marriott and generally (not always) reservations made via their central res/website automatically would hit PMS automatically populated with the guest info. Smaller hotels may only update info 3x daily as their liscence capabilities may only allow that.

There’s more logistics to why this practiced is used. But that’s the short version.

So it’s very possible and I’ve seen it before where a guest calls about a reservation weeks/months away and we wouldn’t have their info. If I searched via their reservation code from the 3rd party however I could see the reservation itself.
Thank you for the information. Learning something new every day.

So the times I did get confirmation back, the person was nice enough to actually go to 3rd party site and check it for me.

I guess there isn't a reason to confirm a reservation and if I need to send info I will wait until minimum 7 days from departure.
Deal Addict
Jun 15, 2015
2582 posts
1765 upvotes
Mississauga, ON
last_sd wrote: Thank you for the information. Learning something new every day.

So the times I did get confirmation back, the person was nice enough to actually go to 3rd party site and check it for me.

I guess there isn't a reason to confirm a reservation and if I need to send info I will wait until minimum 7 days from departure.
No problem ... if you provided them a booking # 12345 (even one given to you a 3rd party let’ pretend booking.com). Even if you didn’t tell them which 3rd party they can tell by the reference # which 3rd party made the booking. They would be able to pull up the reservation internally using their system and confirm it.
[OP]
Deal Addict
Mar 4, 2009
1759 posts
592 upvotes
Toronto
BrunetteGirl wrote: No problem ... if you provided them a booking # 12345 (even one given to you a 3rd party let’ pretend booking.com). Even if you didn’t tell them which 3rd party they can tell by the reference # which 3rd party made the booking. They would be able to pull up the reservation internally using their system and confirm it.
Thanks. That solves the capability of confirmation.
From your experience, is the confirmation needed at all?
I did it just in case the 3rd party booking didn't get transferred properly to the actual Hotel system.
Maybe that's thing of the past.
Deal Fanatic
Mar 21, 2010
5639 posts
2463 upvotes
Toronto
No, I've never done that for well known booking sites (expedia, booking, hotels, priceline, hotwire etc.). If I booked through a small travel agent or a booking site I haven't heard of before (though I probably would never do this), I might.
Deal Addict
Jun 15, 2015
2582 posts
1765 upvotes
Mississauga, ON
last_sd wrote: Thanks. That solves the capability of confirmation.
From your experience, is the confirmation needed at all?
I did it just in case the 3rd party booking didn't get transferred properly to the actual Hotel system.
Maybe that's thing of the past.
The booking # given to you by the 3rd party is different then their internal booking #. However it comes in handy for them to figure out which 3rd party made the booking (and these days there’s many of them). If you are within a few days of arrival they should have your name.

However, there’s a lot of hotels I deal with in the Caribbean for example that don’t receive guest info (as in they have a room blocked for you the guest - but won’t know until the arrival day after midnight that its actually Madonna arriving that day lol).
Oct 3, 2011
583 posts
377 upvotes
OTTAWA
I emailed 3 of my hotels on my last asia trip to ask about some of the other services the front desk offered, months in advance after booking on agoda, expedia and japanican. Since they were general inquiries I didn't feel a need to include any of my reservation info, but they all still happened to find me in the system anyways after answering my questions.
Deal Fanatic
Jul 29, 2005
8655 posts
2576 upvotes
Mississauga
lurkknight wrote: I emailed 3 of my hotels on my last asia trip to ask about some of the other services the front desk offered, months in advance after booking on agoda, expedia and japanican. Since they were general inquiries I didn't feel a need to include any of my reservation info, but they all still happened to find me in the system anyways after answering my questions.
That's what I do. Just to make sure I'm in the system. Plus I ask for requests such as high floor, nice view, quiet room, specific room, etc. I've never had any issues with the hotels honouring my requests even tho I booked third party. Last hotel even gave me an upgrade to accommodate my request for a high floor .
My food blog - Reggie The Food Critic.