Shopping Discussion

Do you have Amazon Prime?

• Last Updated:
  • Dec 15th, 2020 1:48 pm
Tags:

Poll: Do you use Amazon Prime?

• Total votes: 238. You have voted on this poll.
Yes, and I use many/all of the perks (Prime Video, photo storage, music, etc)

45%
Yes, but mainly just for shopping

28%
No, but I have before

15%
No, but I was thinking about it

3%
No, and don’t think I ever will

9%
[OP]
Deal Addict
Oct 24, 2011
1317 posts
1179 upvotes
SURREY

Do you have Amazon Prime?

Just curious as I find most of the people I know have a Prime account but it varies between usage. I was thinking of getting rid of it but we just started using Prime Video and combined with the shipping perks it feels like it’s worth it now
If it’s not at least 50% off is it really a deal?
55 replies
Deal Addict
Apr 29, 2018
1956 posts
1395 upvotes
Vancouver
I just cancelled it a few days ago. Don't really shop from Amazon a lot anymore, mostly Walmart, and have no use for any of the other Prime Video, etc
Can't Stop. Won't Stop. Game Stop
Deal Guru
Aug 20, 2012
13685 posts
3057 upvotes
Pacific Ocean
I was able to register for student prime since I still retain my uni email. Great deal... 6 mos free then half price $3.99. Still worth it imo. I've had many items 2 business days or less so no big complaints - yet.
Last edited by aznnorth on Jul 12th, 2020 3:27 pm, edited 2 times in total.
If the glove don't fit you must acquit! #WINNING
Deal Expert
Feb 11, 2007
19157 posts
22040 upvotes
GTA
Not really worth it these days with the shitty delivery times.
If the women don't find you handsome, they should at least find you handy.
[OP]
Deal Addict
Oct 24, 2011
1317 posts
1179 upvotes
SURREY
engineered wrote: Not really worth it these days with the shitty delivery times.
Fortunate to live within 25 km of a warehouse so shipping isn’t bad (still get same day delivery on some items) but I know for others it’s not so great.
If it’s not at least 50% off is it really a deal?
Deal Addict
Apr 1, 2015
1637 posts
929 upvotes
NOYFB
Amazon was doing a relatively good job compared to other businesses during the pandemic (the other one being Costco)
Thus I'll keep my prime for a long time
plz don't touch my signature.

don't make me less of a human just cause i don't share your "idiotologies".

👮‍♂️👮‍♀️lives matter
Deal Addict
Jan 18, 2013
2952 posts
1604 upvotes
B.C.
Yes. I buy almost everything on Amazon. There are only two Walmarts in the region and you have to visit both to complete a moderate shopping list so most of it comes from Amazon.

Even small grocery items come from Amazon. I wanted a packet of hollandaise sauce and they were $3.99 each at the grocery store - or $1.77 at on Amazon.
Deal Guru
Feb 6, 2003
10654 posts
1100 upvotes
Vancouver
The only reason I have Prime is bc they give you one free sub every month on Twitch (which I would pay for otherwise). A one year sub costs $81.43CAD at the current exchange rate, while Prime itself is $88.48/yr after tax. So essentially I'm only paying ~$7/yr for it.
<< Public Mobile, Uber Eats, DoorDash, Tangerine, Coast Capital, STACK user >>
FS: Phanteks Low Profile Cooler | Athlon X2 265
MY HEATWARE
Deal Expert
Sep 21, 2010
15185 posts
4633 upvotes
Montréal
I'm just a basic Amazon customer and don't order loads of stuff. I found that many times when I'm checking out, Prime claims to have faster delivery dates but in reality I already get my stuff ~1 wk, which is acceptable for me. I personally don't see/need the rush and maybe it might not even materialize despite paying extra for Prime.
Hard work, inheritance, interest on interest accumulating, and stock and real estate speculation. It's all good.
Deal Addict
May 1, 2018
1662 posts
1157 upvotes
Vancouver
Used to have it and shopped about a couple times a month when I was still on student Prime. Once that was over, I cancelled Prime and noticeably, haven't bought much from Amazon since I cancelled. Wasn't shopping from Amazon because of Prime but it was just coincidence that I stopped buying from Amazon.
Deal Addict
Dec 18, 2017
1307 posts
873 upvotes
London, On
I use Prime music a lot, and watch a bit of Prime Video. Plus the odd shopping. I don't find it a waste, but it's also not a huge expenditure either. Not sure I really get use out of a Costco membership either, but I keep it.
Deal Addict
Aug 15, 2006
3840 posts
930 upvotes
Kingston
Done a fair bit of shopping on Amazon in the last few months and for the most part I get my items within 2 days of ordering. There has been 2 items that took a month to get here because they came from China. I also listen to music and the odd video here and there. As long as my shopping continues with Amazon, I will continue to have Prime as to me it is worth it
Deal Expert
Aug 22, 2006
28884 posts
14419 upvotes
engineered wrote: Not really worth it these days with the shitty delivery times.
Outside of the initial pandemic, I've had nearly 1000 orders from Amazon and I can count on one (maybe two) hands where they've missed a delivery estimate.
Pandemic went from 1 day to 1 month, but they're back to normal now. Everything is back to 2 day or less.
Do you not have anything else to do rather than argue with strangers on the internet
Nope. That's why I'm on the internet arguing with strangers. If I had anything better to do I'd probably be doing it.
Deal Guru
Dec 5, 2006
12640 posts
7763 upvotes
Markham
death_hawk wrote: Outside of the initial pandemic, I've had nearly 1000 orders from Amazon and I can count on one (maybe two) hands where they've missed a delivery estimate.
Pandemic went from 1 day to 1 month, but they're back to normal now. Everything is back to 2 day or less.
They should pay you to be prime customer:)
Deal Expert
Aug 22, 2006
28884 posts
14419 upvotes
smartie wrote: They should pay you to be prime customer:)
I mean... if you want to do some creative accounting the amount of money I would have paid for shipping if it was another retailer has easily paid for Prime.
Do you not have anything else to do rather than argue with strangers on the internet
Nope. That's why I'm on the internet arguing with strangers. If I had anything better to do I'd probably be doing it.
Deal Expert
Feb 11, 2007
19157 posts
22040 upvotes
GTA
death_hawk wrote: Outside of the initial pandemic, I've had nearly 1000 orders from Amazon and I can count on one (maybe two) hands where they've missed a delivery estimate.
I guess you're lucky where you are. I do see Amazon is planning to open another distribution center in Oakville, so that would help.
If the women don't find you handsome, they should at least find you handy.
Oct 18, 2019
274 posts
162 upvotes
GTA West
engineered wrote: I guess you're lucky where you are. I do see Amazon is planning to open another distribution center in Oakville, so that would help.
You're not that far from Brampton and Amazon has huge warehouses there
Deal Fanatic
Jul 13, 2009
5037 posts
3233 upvotes
There's a new warehouse under construction in Scarborough/border Markham.

I only get Prime if it's offered for free to me. Product selection is mostly....useless crap I didn't know I needed that's available on Ali Express but faster shipping...and gifts I forgot to buy a week ago and need it asap.

Prime Video was OK, some good shows but I finished them all. Kids shows and movie selection is trash. Prime Music is okay except the app is lacking.

Don't use the photo storage but it would be a great alternative for those who don't use Google Photos.

Prime is honestly not bad as a whole, but it's one of those "just another expensive memberships".
Deal Fanatic
Aug 5, 2006
8085 posts
5077 upvotes
Global Village
Prime video and Alexa music alone make it worth for me, the shopping benefits are a bonus.

When Walmart launches Walmart+ paid memberships here it will be interesting to see if Amazon includes same-day grocery delivery also with Prime.
All day I dream about sports

My Banks: Tangerine, Meridian, EQ Bank, Simplii
Nov 22, 2018
179 posts
166 upvotes
Brampton, On
I don't have Prime but my wife does as she buys a lot more specialized stuff online than I do. I mostly buy stuff on Amazon if I can't find what I want at retail and that's been getting harder to do as retailers seem to be getting more selective of the specific brands of products they put on the shelf. Being in Brampton without Prime, I'll even get stuff the next day, even using the > 35 free shipping at times.

Thread Information

There is currently 1 user viewing this thread. (0 members and 1 guest)