Off Topic

Do you have any double joints? Do you have any talents you can do that you know others can't?

[OP]
Deal Addict
Feb 11, 2015
2797 posts
26089 upvotes
Toronto, ON

Do you have any double joints? Do you have any talents you can do that you know others can't?

Just like the title states, do you have any double joints? Anything you can do that you know others can't? How about any talents you know a lot of people can't do, maybe like riding a bike with no hands?

My only apparent double joint is a thumb I can redact back to my forearm when applying some pressure from the other arm. Not top arm (bicep/tricep). Just pull it back, I know a lot of people I've told that to tried and couldn't do it.

What about you? Double joints or talents that you know you have an edge on that others can't seem to do?
16 replies
Sep 15, 2010
706 posts
206 upvotes
Kawartha Lakes
Double joints are now a talent?
[OP]
Deal Addict
Feb 11, 2015
2797 posts
26089 upvotes
Toronto, ON
I didn't want this to be just about double joints, so I gave it a wider range. Didn't work out, people on rfd keep their talents to themselves lol. All good, no worries, had some time off to kill on those colder days. Now I'm just enjoying the lethargy of not trying too hard at anything, and just letting the days be. Should be on top of things, but when you have months/weeks of not being on top of things, you just succumb to a new buzz and chill mode. Taking it ez maybe I should close this thread. Seems like a lot of things I wrote on a whim, and this thread was one of those useless articles lol
Deal Addict
Jul 28, 2014
1230 posts
106 upvotes
Toronto, ON
Cracking knuckles...except I can do it just 1 hand, any hand, any time, just by making a fist. Never seen or heard anyone else doing it. I have even looked up the guinness records for knuckle cracking, and wondering if I would qualify for it, because pretty sure I can beat it easily. Been this way since I was little, no idea how/when it started happening.
Deal Addict
Aug 25, 2015
1904 posts
729 upvotes
Montreal, QC
double joints? well, my thumbs are double joints
Deal Guru
Dec 22, 2005
10361 posts
107 upvotes
Oakville, ON
Not me but the wife can move her eyes independently within a range. Looks weird and she says it's uncomfortable though.

Before the facial paralysis I had, I could whistle REAL LOUD just using my tongue and lips. It was pretty cool to do.
Energy can neither be created nor destroyed. It can only be wasted.
Red Green
Deal Addict
Jun 6, 2007
1024 posts
49 upvotes
Toronto
I can Think....Great talent I know many don't have.
Stumbled upon RFD by mistake, best mistake of my internet life i must say...... :D
Deal Expert
Jan 27, 2004
42763 posts
6117 upvotes
T.O. Lotto Captain
Oh in high school i was a bboy. So actually a good dancer.
And i played on the high school bball team in the starting lineup. Only Asian. I was above average skill level in that regards.

No one suspects it because i grew to be a quirky adult. But i can ball and got some sweet dance moves. It throws EVERYONE off.
Jul 14, 2018
24 posts
20 upvotes
stinastr wrote: My only apparent double joint is a thumb I can redact back to my forearm when applying some pressure from the other arm. Not top arm (bicep/tricep). Just pull it back, I know a lot of people I've told that to tried and couldn't do it.

What about you? Double joints or talents that you know you have an edge on that others can't seem to do?
No double joints
Becks wrote: I can roll the lateral edges of my tongue upwards into a tube: https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tongue_rolling
I remembered this from science class, 'cuz some classmates couldn't do it.
I can do this!
UrbanPoet wrote: I can do that thing where you squirt saliva from a gland underneath your tongue.
Sometimes it happens accidentally while i’m eating really savoury food...
I can't do this at will, but sometimes when I yawn it happens.
UrbanPoet wrote: Oh in high school i was a bboy. So actually a good dancer.
And i played on the high school bball team in the starting lineup. Only Asian. I was above average skill level in that regards.

No one suspects it because i grew to be a quirky adult. But i can ball and got some sweet dance moves. It throws EVERYONE off.
Same as you, I'm asian, average size for a male, I'm introverted and apparently unassuming. When I play any sport with co-workers, neighbors, etc
I always start on the bench or put in a position to contribute the least/do the least harm to the team - catcher in softball, ball not thrown/passed to me, etc. I'm fine with that. But I do play sports and excel at them very quickly. Went to nationals for 3 different sports, played several more at the provincial level as well. Only one sport I ever played lifelong, the others I played for fun, got noticed and asked to come out and then things take off. I then lose interest and stop playing.

Otherwise, I can make a rumble noise in my ears that drowns out the noise around me, not sure how to explain it, but I flex something inside my ears and it creates a rumble
Deal Fanatic
Jun 29, 2010
9247 posts
3443 upvotes
Toronto
i can do the tongue rolling thing....never knew that was a talent.
both thumbs and every finger on my left hand are double jointed. i used to be able to pull my thumbs back all the way and touch the back of my hand. used to freak ppl out. i can't pull them back as far anymore. i can still tuck one thumb to the back of my hand without holding it there.
Good, better, best. Never let it rest. 'Til your good is better and your better is best.
Deal Expert
Jan 27, 2004
42763 posts
6117 upvotes
T.O. Lotto Captain
yykzipper wrote: No double joints

I can do this!

I can't do this at will, but sometimes when I yawn it happens.

Same as you, I'm asian, average size for a male, I'm introverted and apparently unassuming. When I play any sport with co-workers, neighbors, etc
I always start on the bench or put in a position to contribute the least/do the least harm to the team - catcher in softball, ball not thrown/passed to me, etc. I'm fine with that. But I do play sports and excel at them very quickly. Went to nationals for 3 different sports, played several more at the provincial level as well. Only one sport I ever played lifelong, the others I played for fun, got noticed and asked to come out and then things take off. I then lose interest and stop playing.

Otherwise, I can make a rumble noise in my ears that drowns out the noise around me, not sure how to explain it, but I flex something inside my ears and it creates a rumble
Only 35% of people can “gleek”.
Mar 6, 2014
625 posts
105 upvotes
Toronto
You can become a MMA fighter, but only use your secret skill during your biggest prize match, the opponent would not expect it.