Do you have COVID-19?

• Last Updated:
  • Oct 5th, 2020 11:57 pm
Deal Fanatic
Aug 29, 2011
5632 posts
2811 upvotes
Mississauga
I think my wife and daughter may have had it as well back in late Feb. Both got unusually sick. I know I had been flying a lot domestically so maybe I was the asymptomatic carrier (I experienced nothing).

That’s the bitch of this virus: It affects different people so much differently.
Deal Addict
Dec 20, 2015
3159 posts
1555 upvotes
Toronto, ON
Was there a study that shows people who had it months ago then recovered, are most likely to get it again and it worsens the second time?

I swear as we enter the flu season, I hope everyone stays vigilant and safe. There will be super spreaders so I hope everyone wears a mask!
If you like the post or the comment, then don't forget to SMASH that LIKE BUTTON!
May 15, 2019
48 posts
40 upvotes
GTA
This is my non-scientific observation.

Since the start (around March) of the shutdown and practising "social distancing" and wearing a facemask, not only have I not gotten COVID-19, I haven't even had a cold or sniffle (except for Pollen allergy). Same for the rest of my family, friends, neighbours etc. How about the RFD community?

Knock on wood...
Deal Expert
Feb 29, 2008
24830 posts
3070 upvotes
Montreal
SnowyDumpling wrote: This is my non-scientific observation.

Since the start (around March) of the shutdown and practising "social distancing" and wearing a facemask, not only have I not gotten COVID-19, I haven't even had a cold or sniffle (except for Pollen allergy). Same for the rest of my family, friends, neighbours etc. How about the RFD community?

Knock on wood...
Kids haven't been sick since the day they were pulled from school. Tylenol is gonna expire in the cupboard.
Deal Addict
Jun 24, 2015
3939 posts
1155 upvotes
Woodbridge, ON
SnowyDumpling wrote: This is my non-scientific observation.

Knock on wood...
I'm Answering your Knock on Wood!

Guess what? Physical Distancing, washing hands, wearing a face covering or non medical mask, helps prevent not only the spread of the virus that causes Covid-19, it also slows the spread of other infectious viruses and germs too such as the common cold, the seasonal flu, and other transmissible virus or bacteria.

They actually confirmed in Australia their Flu numbers went really low/down because of all the measures in place to prevent covid. This is a good thing. we should continue to keep washing hands and keeping a distance from people
Hi
Deal Expert
Dec 4, 2010
18995 posts
2004 upvotes
Quarantine Bubble
mrweather wrote: I think my wife and daughter may have had it as well back in late Feb. Both got unusually sick. I know I had been flying a lot domestically so maybe I was the asymptomatic carrier (I experienced nothing).

That’s the bitch of this virus: It affects different people so much differently.
What a burden to shoulder if that’s the case. I wouldn’t know how to live with that to be honest.
Deal Fanatic
Aug 29, 2011
5632 posts
2811 upvotes
Mississauga
Supercooled wrote: What a burden to shoulder if that’s the case. I wouldn’t know how to live with that to be honest.
True but what’s also weird is that my son never got sick. I’m starting to think it was a bad cold or even mild influenza. Just seems strange that 50% of my household would be asymptomatic.
Deal Addict
Feb 23, 2015
1975 posts
731 upvotes
Brampton, ON
Never had it, get tested every 2 weeks.
Deal Guru
Mar 14, 2005
13110 posts
2191 upvotes
City of Vancouver
I have never been tested.
De gustibus non est disputandum
Reverse dysfunction one step at a time.
Deal Expert
Dec 4, 2010
18995 posts
2004 upvotes
Quarantine Bubble
mrweather wrote: True but what’s also weird is that my son never got sick. I’m starting to think it was a bad cold or even mild influenza. Just seems strange that 50% of my household would be asymptomatic.
Count yourself among the lucky ones. None of my family members has contracted the virus but have been working, shopping, ect. Some have had symptoms of the cold and passed so I’m inclined to think they probably caught a strain. Reading around some families have lost multiple members to the virus. Really it’s a luck of the draw, knock on wood.

I have quite a nasty cough at the moment. And some congestion and pain near my scapula and back but I think it could just be from overworking. Knock on wood.
Deal Expert
Feb 29, 2008
24830 posts
3070 upvotes
Montreal
mrweather wrote: True but what’s also weird is that my son never got sick. I’m starting to think it was a bad cold or even mild influenza. Just seems strange that 50% of my household would be asymptomatic.
There are several document cases of covid 19 where only one household member gets infected. Some people are just better at getting infected than infecting others:

http://globalnews.ca/news/7315989/coron ... -covid-19/
After her first positive test on May 6, Côté spent three weeks quarantined with her boyfriend. They were nervous he would contract the virus, but he didn’t. Côté then moved back home with her parents and grandparents. The family was careful to keep her separate, going so far as to seal off air ducts to the area where she was living downstairs.
Aug 7, 2013
692 posts
154 upvotes
Greater Toronto Area
I started getting a fever on Monday. Only other symptom right now is general weakness and a headache. Should I go get tested? I have not been to any crowded spaces always wear my mask. It’s sucks that the first thing that comes to mind is COVID when it could just be the flu.
Deal Expert
Jul 5, 2004
24972 posts
4212 upvotes
JagStyles wrote: I started getting a fever on Monday. Only other symptom right now is general weakness and a headache. Should I go get tested? I have not been to any crowded spaces always wear my mask. It’s sucks that the first thing that comes to mind is COVID when it could just be the flu.
If you're okay with quarantining yourself, that is the better option. Going to get tested presents risks to others from you, as well as the risk to you from others. The risk is low of course, but there's still risk in places like that.

If you don't want to quarantine for possibly no reason, then yes, go get tested.

Chances are it's not COVID
Deal Addict
Feb 20, 2014
1226 posts
434 upvotes
Toronto
Coulby wrote: I think I had it back in January for a couple of weeks. This hit different than your typical cold or flu.
Same here. My husband, daughter and I got sick in mid-January. Weird thing is we all had somewhat different symptoms. My daughter didn’t have a cough but a really high fever that was persistent. I had a persistent fever as well, along with a very persistent cough that led to a lot of wheezing (same with my husband). Even after my cough got better, I still had a low grade fever for weeks. And then the following months, I started having shortness of breath even when having conversations with people. It was strange.
Aug 7, 2013
692 posts
154 upvotes
Greater Toronto Area
Shaner wrote: If you're okay with quarantining yourself, that is the better option. Going to get tested presents risks to others from you, as well as the risk to you from others. The risk is low of course, but there's still risk in places like that.

If you don't want to quarantine for possibly no reason, then yes, go get tested.

Chances are it's not COVID
That’s what I’ve decided to do, stay home and isolating myself to the master bedroom. Wife has been sleeping in a separate room and we don’t share bathrooms.

It’s day 5 and still a fever. Not much in the way of chest tightness but do have a tickle in my chest that makes me want to cough every now and then. The headache has been relentless. Hoping just a few more days. Also noticed heart rate is up to 102bpm throughout the day but heard that is normal for someone who has a fever???