Off Topic

Do you have COVID-19?

  • Last Updated:
  • Oct 5th, 2020 11:57 pm
Sr. Member
Jun 13, 2009
682 posts
372 upvotes
Toronto
kenj wrote: Maybe he had it earlier, and was asymptomatic - but you'd think his family would have caught it then too.
I have a friend overseas who tested positive (likely got it from a confirmed case at her work); and kept on testing positive on weekly follow-up tests 5 times in a row. She was quarantined in her tiny apartment with her husband and three kids and no one else caught the virus. My understanding is that it depends on your viral load, and how much virus you are shedding. I am guessing that in her case, her viral load was low and she was shedding extremely small amounts of the virus.
Banned
May 3, 2020
77 posts
71 upvotes
Supercooled wrote: Nothing makes sense right now. Sure, it can be a coincidence but why leave it up to chance? If this anecdote is enough to convince one other person to take it seriously, it's a victory for all of us. If reports of 400 cases a day happened in March or April, we'd all be shitting ourselves but now, no one even cares. It's come and gone (in their minds). What's a few hundred thousands of deaths when the common cold kills more than that? Vehicular fatalities, et al?
there have been enough people that have died and contracted this virus to get a pretty clear idea on how most humans in a standard grouping will react. So I don't buy it that he was "perfectly" heatlthy... How do you know that? The wife told you? when was his last physical? he could have had undiagnosed conditions?? You don't know, and certainly the neighbur wouldn't....

as for leaving it to chance.... life is all about 'chances'. when you leave the home to go to Costco, you take a chance. No one said not to take it seriously FYI.

Anyway, ill leave it at that.
Member
Apr 27, 2003
496 posts
27 upvotes
Jimmykirky wrote: there have been enough people that have died and contracted this virus to get a pretty clear idea on how most humans in a standard grouping will react. So I don't buy it that he was "perfectly" heatlthy... How do you know that? The wife told you? when was his last physical? he could have had undiagnosed conditions?? You don't know, and certainly the neighbur wouldn't....

as for leaving it to chance.... life is all about 'chances'. when you leave the home to go to Costco, you take a chance. No one said not to take it seriously FYI.

Anyway, ill leave it at that.
Haha, "he could have had undiagnosed conditions" - that's really reaching for straws! I talked to him the day before, and yes - his wife said he was perfectly fine after he had passed. His last physical? No idea - how would I know - I don't have his medical records or access to them. Do you have access to your neighbors medical records?!?

All I'm saying is this. He was fine, mid 40's. Came home from work, couldn't breathe the next morning and died with the paramedics there. They (the funeral home) carried his body out of the house in a body bag. After he died his wife was upset, said he was perfectly healthy until that morning. 3 days later a test came back positive for covid - not for the other family members.

If we want to speculate on undiagnosed conditions, or question whether his wife knew if he was healthy. We could go further and question if it REALLY was his body in the body bag! Maybe he disliked his wife so much, he paid off the paramedics to carry him out and away. Or maybe aliens abducted him that night, did medical tests and left a scalpula inside his lungs which caused him to die. We can speculate all we want, pull conspiracy theories out of the woodwork.

The fact is the virus is real. People have died from it. Is it the end of the world? I doubt it. But, some people won't take it seriously until someone they know dies from it.
Where's the beef?
Banned
May 3, 2020
77 posts
71 upvotes
kenj wrote: Haha, "he could have had undiagnosed conditions" - that's really reaching for straws! I talked to him the day before, and yes - his wife said he was perfectly fine after he had passed. His last physical? No idea - how would I know - I don't have his medical records or access to them. Do you have access to your neighbors medical records?!?

All I'm saying is this. He was fine, mid 40's. Came home from work, couldn't breathe the next morning and died with the paramedics there. They (the funeral home) carried his body out of the house in a body bag. After he died his wife was upset, said he was perfectly healthy until that morning. 3 days later a test came back positive for covid - not for the other family members.

If we want to speculate on undiagnosed conditions, or question whether his wife knew if he was healthy. We could go further and question if it REALLY was his body in the body bag! Maybe he disliked his wife so much, he paid off the paramedics to carry him out and away. Or maybe aliens abducted him that night, did medical tests and left a scalpula inside his lungs which caused him to die. We can speculate all we want, pull conspiracy theories out of the woodwork.

The fact is the virus is real. People have died from it. Is it the end of the world? I doubt it. But, some people won't take it seriously until someone they know dies from it.

I've spoken to a few "perfectly healthy" 45 year olds, only to discover they died that evening from a heart attack, or suffered a massive stroke. And their wives also indicated they had perfect health.... they neglected to mention the high blood pressure though, the 80 hour work weeks, the pack of cigarettes they smoked.... the full glass of scotch... etc.etc..

just saying.
without being part of the immediate family, "perfect health" means nothing... that's my point... E.G. you don't have their medical records ;) (read between the lines mate).

and even if they had perfect health, the reality is, this exception is so rare it probably is a 0.00000001% of it happening... so being scared of a 0.00000001% chance, is irrational.
Deal Fanatic
May 14, 2009
6387 posts
1205 upvotes
kenj wrote: Haha, "he could have had undiagnosed conditions" - that's really reaching for straws! I talked to him the day before, and yes - his wife said he was perfectly fine after he had passed. His last physical? No idea - how would I know - I don't have his medical records or access to them. Do you have access to your neighbors medical records?!?

All I'm saying is this. He was fine, mid 40's. Came home from work, couldn't breathe the next morning and died with the paramedics there. They (the funeral home) carried his body out of the house in a body bag. After he died his wife was upset, said he was perfectly healthy until that morning. 3 days later a test came back positive for covid - not for the other family members.

If we want to speculate on undiagnosed conditions, or question whether his wife knew if he was healthy. We could go further and question if it REALLY was his body in the body bag! Maybe he disliked his wife so much, he paid off the paramedics to carry him out and away. Or maybe aliens abducted him that night, did medical tests and left a scalpula inside his lungs which caused him to die. We can speculate all we want, pull conspiracy theories out of the woodwork.

The fact is the virus is real. People have died from it. Is it the end of the world? I doubt it. But, some people won't take it seriously until someone they know dies from it.
I’ve investigated cases that have died where the deceased’s spouse did not know about their partner’s underlying health conditions or secret vices if you kwim. Just saying that it is entirely possible that other factors are at play that a case’s family/friends may not know about.

Anyhow, suddenly dying like that is not the norm, by far.
Deal Addict
Apr 10, 2017
1037 posts
376 upvotes
kenj wrote:
Haha, "he could have had undiagnosed conditions" - that's really reaching for straws! I talked to him the day before, and yes - his wife said he was perfectly fine after he had passed. His last physical? No idea - how would I know - I don't have his medical records or access to them. Do you have access to your neighbors medical records?!?

All I'm saying is this. He was fine, mid 40's. Came home from work, couldn't breathe the next morning and died with the paramedics there. They (the funeral home) carried his body out of the house in a body bag. After he died his wife was upset, said he was perfectly healthy until that morning. 3 days later a test came back positive for covid - not for the other family members.

If we want to speculate on undiagnosed conditions, or question whether his wife knew if he was healthy. We could go further and question if it REALLY was his body in the body bag! Maybe he disliked his wife so much, he paid off the paramedics to carry him out and away. Or maybe aliens abducted him that night, did medical tests and left a scalpula inside his lungs which caused him to die. We can speculate all we want, pull conspiracy theories out of the woodwork.

The fact is the virus is real. People have died from it. Is it the end of the world? I doubt it. But, some people won't take it seriously until someone they know dies from it.
I personally know someone who lost their mother from it. I was at loss for words when I found out.

All these "it's only .00172772% of the population, I dont care" people...god forbid you lose someone in your family or even worse, they die from it.

I dont fear monger to everyone. I just find it pitiful that theres a ton of people out there who just go about their lives like it was December 2019. Yes it's their choice, but what if they are asymptomatic and have infected a 65yr old who subsequently died? Would they care?
Deal Guru
User avatar
Mar 14, 2005
13113 posts
2191 upvotes
City of Vancouver
Pulmonary embolism?
De gustibus non est disputandum
Reverse dysfunction one step at a time.
Member
Apr 27, 2003
496 posts
27 upvotes
Yeah. A lot of our friends say people don't die from Covid. This probably is true.

I always explain it like this. I can choose to drive with my headlights off at night. I can hit someone at night and kill them. Did they die because my lights were off, or did they die because the car hit them? According to their logic, my lights being off didn't kill them (which is true to an extent). Common sense has gone out the window.

I don't fear monger either, and it is their choice. What I don't understand is why people get angry if someone chooses to wear a mask! My MIL wore a mask the other day and someone started yelling at her for it. She went home in tears.
Where's the beef?
Sr. Member
Feb 17, 2015
674 posts
786 upvotes
Canada
There are tons of people who are smarty pants in the beginning and nowhere to be found in the end. Their ego is bigger than their head simply put.
kenj wrote: Yeah. A lot of our friends say people don't die from Covid. This probably is true.

I always explain it like this. I can choose to drive with my headlights off at night. I can hit someone at night and kill them. Did they die because my lights were off, or did they die because the car hit them? According to their logic, my lights being off didn't kill them (which is true to an extent). Common sense has gone out the window.

I don't fear monger either, and it is their choice. What I don't understand is why people get angry if someone chooses to wear a mask! My MIL wore a mask the other day and someone started yelling at her for it. She went home in tears.
Sr. Member
Aug 14, 2015
818 posts
533 upvotes
Burnaby, BC
Biscayne05 wrote: I dont fear monger to everyone. I just find it pitiful that theres a ton of people out there who just go about their lives like it was December 2019. Yes it's their choice, but what if they are asymptomatic and have infected a 65yr old who subsequently died? Would they care?
This is exactly why I take note of everyone I come across whom I know I'll see more than once.
If they didn't wear a mask, there is zero chance I'll waste my time on them after receiving vaccination.

I'll also need to think of way to indirectly dig that information out of strangers through a seemingly innocent casual exchange of words after the pandemic.
Newbie
Sep 25, 2020
1 posts
I have a friend of mine who is tested positive but she is only quarantining at home and only has mild symptoms, I really hope it doesn't get worse.
..
Deal Expert
Feb 29, 2008
24834 posts
3070 upvotes
Montreal
Muftijoon wrote: I have a friend of mine who is tested positive but she is only quarantining at home and only has mild symptoms, I really hope it doesn't get worse.
If she is a female under 60, she will probably pull through fine. Helps to be Caucasian also.
Deal Addict
Aug 18, 2009
1617 posts
948 upvotes
Toronto
kenj wrote: Our neighbor died from it. Had a family and three young kids. Came home from work at 9pm, felt fine, by 8 am the next morning couldn't breathe, passed away by 9AM. I think for most people it doesn't seem real or anything until it affects someone you actually know.
How do they even know it was covid if he died so quickly?

Edit: just saw your other post saying none of the other family members tested positive. That seems to suggest it is very likely that it was NOT covid no?
Deal Addict
Nov 27, 2005
2211 posts
98 upvotes
Toronto
Met a guy the other day who was one of the first super spreaders in Europe. Attended one of the apres ski parties at a ski resort in Austria. He then returned to Amsterdam. While he was unaware of being sick and highly contagious, he then attended a wedding in Holland. Turns out he gave it to ten of his friends there. Who knows how many other people he gave it to before he finally realized he had it....
Deal Expert
Dec 4, 2010
18996 posts
2004 upvotes
Quarantine Bubble
I did something stupid this morning while returning a cart to get my loonie back. An older man came out of the corral and coughed as I was approaching the cart stall. I should have just left the cart right there and then. Only had a Chinese nondescript surgical mask and no eye wear. Held my breath but eyes were exposed to probably some of this mans second hand cough plume. Let my mistake be your warning.

I just hope he isn’t infected. He did look suspiciously guilty as he coughed and walked away; I caught him side eyeing me as I approached.

Top