Off Topic

Do you intend to do anything differently after covid-19 compared to before covid-19?

[OP]
Feb 11, 2018
958 posts
845 upvotes

Do you intend to do anything differently after covid-19 compared to before covid-19?

I mean like cutting/dye your hair, storing food/basics for extended period of time, changing your tires/oil, buying freezers, eating less outside, spending more time with family members, etc. ?
People are sheep and the government is the shepherd.
49 replies
Deal Guru
Feb 7, 2017
13484 posts
10735 upvotes
Eastern Ontario
Ya ...
We are prob gonna put INTERNATIONAL Travel ON HOLD for at least a year
Maybe 2

And that includes trips to the USA prob too
(A lot depends on what happens next there with Coronavirus)
Something that already feels weird as we live so close, and go across regularly ... so no visit / trip happened in March, or April (Easter)
And none slotted now for Victoria Day / Memorial Day Wkends
Or Canada Day / 4th of July
And I don’t think Labour Day looks good either

Maybe Thanksgiving / Columbus Day

So at least for the foreseeable future
We’ll be vacationing here in Canada ... WITH ACCESS TO CDN HEALTHCARE

So for us, that’s gonna be different

But hey ... it dovetails with the other change we’ll be making
BUY CANADIAN

Gonna consciously do more to shop CANADIAN
So as to give local businesses more of a hand during & after all this Covid stuff
Last edited by PointsHubby on Apr 15th, 2020 6:30 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Deal Addict
Jan 12, 2012
3139 posts
168 upvotes
East York
family has already been a main priority for me but I think the only thing that's going to change for me is a higher attention to detail when it comes to personal hygiene and who I'm around when I"m out...

I feel like I was doing a lot of things already. I don't vacation internationally much, Saw and experienced a lot in my 20s. I usually only vacation to Cuba, to just do nothing for a week besides lounge and drink lol....

My house is always stocked when it comes to food/toilet paper, water etc. I don't eat out at all. I only usually buy coffees when I'm out.

I've always been the type of guy that changes out of his "work" clothes when he comes home, as I've always felt that it's stupid to wear clothes you wear outside at work inside your house. Whether science supports it 100% I just feel like you're spreading potential bacteria from outside your house to rooms throughout your house....
Deal Guru
Aug 14, 2007
10526 posts
1756 upvotes
Toronto
This whole thing made me realize how much crap food I eat. How? Because now I can't find it anywhere as easily as before and now I'm forced to eat so much healthier.

So I'm going to continue eating much healthier for the foreseeable future, after a few weeks I feel so much better in general.

Other than that I can't wait to start travelling again.

As for stocking up on canned food and other stuff, no, I'm not going to be one of those people and follow the herd spending money on things I've had 0 issues getting. There's no point in spending money that doesnt need to be spent.
Deal Addict
Dec 12, 2005
3810 posts
235 upvotes
Greater Toronto Area
Good luck buying Canadian made goods Pointhubby.Can you name 10 products that is 100% made in Canada or has majority Canadian content except food or medicine.I myself will not be going on vacation outside of Canada. for a while.Will not be going to any large events anytime soon.Cook more and make sure be like preppers and stock emergency items like mask,can goods,batteries.Heck probably apply for a gun license.
Jul 5, 2004
24782 posts
4052 upvotes
gizmo8 wrote: Good luck buying Canadian made goods Pointhubby.Can you name 10 products that is 100% made in Canada or has majority Canadian content except food or medicine.I myself will not be going on vacation outside of Canada. for a while.Will not be going to any large events anytime soon.Cook more and make sure be like preppers and stock emergency items like mask,can goods,batteries.Heck probably apply for a gun license.
There's far more made in Canada stuff than people realize. Go to a Home Hardware instead of Lowes or Home Depot and a lot of stuff is from Canada in that store.
Deal Addict
Dec 12, 2005
3810 posts
235 upvotes
Greater Toronto Area
Shaner name some Canadian made products at Lowes or Home depot except wood,paint,gardening or nails.Every power tool is made in Asia,every electronic device is made in asia,almost every hand tool is made in asia or the US.Heck even most of the drywall isnt from Canada.
Jul 5, 2004
24782 posts
4052 upvotes
gizmo8 wrote: Shaner name some Canadian made products at Lowes or Home depot except wood,paint,gardening or nails.Every power tool is made in Asia,every electronic device is made in asia,almost every hand tool is made in asia or the US.Heck even most of the drywall isnt from Canada.
Did you completely miss the part of my post where I said go to Home Hardware instead of Lowes or Home Depot?
While I'm sure there is some made in Canada stuff at those big box stores, off the top of my head, I am unable to name any.
Like I said, for those that want to buy made in Canada items, shop at Home Hardware. You'll find more Canadian made items than at the big box stores, and the prices aren't typically any more expensive
Deal Addict
Dec 12, 2005
3810 posts
235 upvotes
Greater Toronto Area
Sorry boss I did miss that....Please dont ban me.Home Hardware does have a lot of made in Canada items.
Deal Expert
Jan 27, 2006
18155 posts
2060 upvotes
Woodbridge
Honestly, no but one thing I've gotten used to is constantly washing my hands.

The government needs to really keep our airports even safer because this is really how it got out of hand. There's no reason to stop screening EVERY passenger, we already spend hours in an airport asking us to arrive several hours early why not take the extra precautions.
"I'll put up color bars before I'll put you in front of our cameras."

- MacKenzie
THE NEWSROOM (HBO)
Jul 5, 2004
24782 posts
4052 upvotes
gizmo8 wrote: Sorry boss I did miss that....Please dont ban me.Home Hardware does have a lot of made in Canada items.
I have no idea how true it is, because there is lots of fake news, especially on social media.
There is a Facebook post that some of my friends have been sharing recently. It compared a large number of items from Home Hardware to Lowes/Home Depot.
It was all kinds of different things from tools, to small appliances, kitchen utensils, building supplies, etc.
Everything they listed from Home Hardware was made in Canada and was cheaper than similar items at the big box stores.

Is it accurate? No idea, but I do know that there is more Canadian made stuff sold at Home Hardware than at Lowes or HD. Considering I shop at all 3, I've always found the prices to be pretty similar. It's an option for those that want to buy more Canadian made stuff, although it doesn't sound like Home Hardware has much of a presence in the GTA.
Deal Addict
Jul 13, 2009
3694 posts
1701 upvotes
Shaner wrote: I have no idea how true it is, because there is lots of fake news, especially on social media.
There is a Facebook post that some of my friends have been sharing recently. It compared a large number of items from Home Hardware to Lowes/Home Depot.
It was all kinds of different things from tools, to small appliances, kitchen utensils, building supplies, etc.
Everything they listed from Home Hardware was made in Canada and was cheaper than similar items at the big box stores.

Is it accurate? No idea, but I do know that there is more Canadian made stuff sold at Home Hardware than at Lowes or HD. Considering I shop at all 3, I've always found the prices to be pretty similar. It's an option for those that want to buy more Canadian made stuff, although it doesn't sound like Home Hardware has much of a presence in the GTA.
Canadian made or Canadian sourced materials or Assembled in Canada may mean the same thing or different, there's no "regulation" for these goods to be clearly labelled.
Supply chains are so intertwined that you cannot wholly base it on just a simple label.
Unless it came directly from the resources of Canada and directly into your hands...most likely other foreign components were part of it.
Worse offender is sadly food. Frozen fish that's labelled as "wild caught in Canada", could be shipped off to another country to be processed, seasoned.....then finally cooked in Canada as final assembly. Those build a gingerbread houses, yes made in canada but foreign ingredients, but is it still made in Canada as you expect?

I don't think our shopping habits will change, but I have a feeling everyone will be coming out of this crisis a Master Chef or Champion Baker.
Deal Fanatic
Sep 1, 2013
5610 posts
559 upvotes
I am never, ever, ever even going to think about stepping foot on a plague ....., um, cruise ship.
Deal Addict
Mar 7, 2007
3355 posts
1258 upvotes
CheapScotch wrote: I am never, ever, ever even going to think about stepping foot on a plague ....., um, cruise ship.
Really good point. Obviously they don't clean those ships very well... once infected, they become a trap!!!