Students

Do you know any places to get cheap supplies for school?

  • Last Updated:
  • Aug 15th, 2010 7:57 pm
Tags:
None
[OP]
Jr. Member
User avatar
Apr 21, 2010
126 posts
126 upvotes
QC

Do you know any places to get cheap supplies for school?

Soon I gonna start my first year at university, I have heard people spending "a lot" on not just textbooks, but also school supplies. For pens/markers, I guess products from dollar mar will do. But do you know where I could get quality binders/presentation folders etc for "super bas prix"?

Also to cut off the expenses on printing, is it better for me to get a printer at home?
36 replies
Member
May 14, 2008
266 posts
6 upvotes
Scarboro
iceseason wrote: Soon I gonna start my first year at university, I have heard people spending "a lot" on not just textbooks, but also school supplies. For pens/markers, I guess products from dollar mar will do. But do you know where I could get quality binders/presentation folders etc for "super bas prix"?

Also to cut off the expenses on printing, is it better for me to get a printer at home?
Yes always have a printer at home. Makes life 10x easier.
Deal Addict
Dec 21, 2005
1265 posts
114 upvotes
Toronto
What program are you entering? I don't think binders are necessary for most courses since you don't get many handouts. Besides, most courses have their own site on Blackboard and your profs will most likely post electronic copies of any documents up there. Just buy a notebook for each course and you're good to go.

As for a printer, yes, buy a printer if you don't already have one at home. I'd suggest a cheap laser.
Deal Addict
Oct 31, 2008
2005 posts
103 upvotes
GTA
Free Willy wrote: What program are you entering? I don't think binders are necessary for most courses since you don't get many handouts. Besides, most courses have their own site on Blackboard and your profs will most likely post electronic copies of any documents up there. Just buy a notebook for each course and you're good to go.

As for a printer, yes, buy a printer if you don't already have one at home. I'd suggest a cheap laser.
True but it is nice to have one binder just in case you do have handouts or if you wish to print off the documents from blackboard. I usually just have one of those thin plastic ones that don't take up much space with simple dividers. They are usually pretty cheap.


OP, you can go to any big box store closer to when the semester starts (end of August/early September) and they will usually have sales in order to clear out school supplies and make way for Halloween displays.
Deal Addict
User avatar
Mar 7, 2006
1681 posts
154 upvotes
Toronto
Get a cheap black/white laser printer. You'll likely do a lot of printing. I got one in first year one on sale for $40 which the included toner lasted me more than a year. I just bought a cheap $30 toner replacement which yields 1500 pages.
[OP]
Jr. Member
User avatar
Apr 21, 2010
126 posts
126 upvotes
QC
Free Willy wrote: What program are you entering? I don't think binders are necessary for most courses since you don't get many handouts. Besides, most courses have their own site on Blackboard and your profs will most likely post electronic copies of any documents up there. Just buy a notebook for each course and you're good to go.

As for a printer, yes, buy a printer if you don't already have one at home. I'd suggest a cheap laser.
I will start my bachelor in law this Sept., so I'm expecting a lot of papers to print and read... that's why I'm worried about binders and printing.

I was debating to get an inkjet or a laser printer. For the latter, to change the toner kit could be way too expensive.
[OP]
Jr. Member
User avatar
Apr 21, 2010
126 posts
126 upvotes
QC
Yankees 1903 wrote: I usually just have one of those thin plastic ones that don't take up much space with simple dividers. They are usually pretty cheap.


OP, you can go to any big box store closer to when the semester starts (end of August/early September) and they will usually have sales in order to clear out school supplies and make way for Halloween displays.

That sounds like a great idea! Did you get them from those big box stores? By big box store, do you mean stores like Staples?
Deal Addict
Oct 31, 2008
2005 posts
103 upvotes
GTA
iceseason wrote: That sounds like a great idea! Did you get them from those big box stores? By big box store, do you mean stores like Staples?
Staples, WalMart, Zellers, RCSS, any of those stores will have sales around that time. The thin plastic binders are usually pretty cheap.
Deal Addict
Dec 21, 2005
1265 posts
114 upvotes
Toronto
iceseason wrote: I will start my bachelor in law this Sept., so I'm expecting a lot of papers to print and read... that's why I'm worried about binders and printing.

I was debating to get an inkjet or a laser printer. For the latter, to change the toner kit could be way too expensive.
If you're doing a lot of printing, do not buy an inkjet, you'll probably only get 500 pages out of each cartridge. As someone doing two majors in the humanities, I go through 500 of printing in less than a month. A laser will get you around 2000-3000. Keep in mind, though, that the toner that comes with the printer will only be half full. Just make sure you buy a printer that comes with a refillable toner cartridge. There are sites out there that'll tell you which.
Deal Addict
Dec 21, 2005
1265 posts
114 upvotes
Toronto
Yankees 1903 wrote: True but it is nice to have one binder just in case you do have handouts or if you wish to print off the documents from blackboard. I usually just have one of those thin plastic ones that don't take up much space with simple dividers. They are usually pretty cheap.


OP, you can go to any big box store closer to when the semester starts (end of August/early September) and they will usually have sales in order to clear out school supplies and make way for Halloween displays.
I guess you're just more organized than I am, or have fewer documents. :lol:

I just write the date/lecture # on each stapled article and keep them in various piles on my floor. :lol:
Newbie
Oct 13, 2007
54 posts
3 upvotes
Southern Ontario
Free Willy wrote: If you're doing a lot of printing, do not buy an inkjet, you'll probably only get 500 pages out of each cartridge. As someone doing two majors in the humanities, I go through 500 of printing in less than a month. A laser will get you around 2000-3000. Keep in mind, though, that the toner that comes with the printer will only be half full. Just make sure you buy a printer that comes with a refillable toner cartridge. There are sites out there that'll tell you which.
+1 for this recommendation... Stay away from the inkjet machines. It will cost you a fortune in ink!! Lucky to get 500 pages out of a cartridge. Not to mention the print speed is much slower and inkjet smudges easier.
[OP]
Jr. Member
User avatar
Apr 21, 2010
126 posts
126 upvotes
QC
D Tension wrote: Its not really the printer that will set you back, its the cartridges.
Totally agree with you. Talking about this, any stores you would recommend for cartridges?

I heard about replacement cartridges can really help cut off expenses, and I googled this store, www.123inkcartridges.ca, their products are so cheap that I can't help wondering the quality.
[OP]
Jr. Member
User avatar
Apr 21, 2010
126 posts
126 upvotes
QC
iboyalama wrote: Use the printers at school. You pay for them.
I thought about that before, but someone warned me that it would be extremely expensive if I have to print a lot, and it is more convenient to have a printer at home that I could printer whenever I need to.
Jr. Member
User avatar
Jul 31, 2010
145 posts
Waterloo
Prices seem to be similar across the stores, even budget stores like canadacomputers.

Thought: I think they have kind of a mini-monopoly, because you usually have to buy the cartridge from the company that made the printer
[OP]
Jr. Member
User avatar
Apr 21, 2010
126 posts
126 upvotes
QC
Free Willy wrote: If you're doing a lot of printing, do not buy an inkjet, you'll probably only get 500 pages out of each cartridge. As someone doing two majors in the humanities, I go through 500 of printing in less than a month. A laser will get you around 2000-3000. Keep in mind, though, that the toner that comes with the printer will only be half full. Just make sure you buy a printer that comes with a refillable toner cartridge. There are sites out there that'll tell you which.
Thanks for your tips, that really comforts me a lot. But guess it will be a challenge for me to refill the toner at home...

By doing the research I found this store online, www.123inkcartridges.ca, the products they offer seem like quite affordable. Not sure if using their compatible cartridge will damage the printer, or it's better for me to follow you advice and refill toner by myself?
[OP]
Jr. Member
User avatar
Apr 21, 2010
126 posts
126 upvotes
QC
D Tension wrote: Prices seem to be similar across the stores, even budget stores like canadacomputers.

Thought: I think they have kind of a mini-monopoly, because you usually have to buy the cartridge from the company that made the printer
That's true, I heard some company (eg, HP & Canon) protect their technology very well, and their latest printers always use new model cartridges.

Have you purchased compatible cartridges from canadacomputers before, how is the quality and service? I found their products are much more expensive than 123inkcartridges.ca though.
[OP]
Jr. Member
User avatar
Apr 21, 2010
126 posts
126 upvotes
QC
NiftyScent wrote: Get a cheap black/white laser printer. You'll likely do a lot of printing. I got one in first year one on sale for $40 which the included toner lasted me more than a year. I just bought a cheap $30 toner replacement which yields 1500 pages.

That's an amazing deal!! A lazer printer for $40 and a replacement toner for $30, I wonder if I could be that lucky cat. Did you catch the deal on rfds? Any stores for printers & cartridges you would recommend?
Deal Addict
Dec 21, 2005
1265 posts
114 upvotes
Toronto
iceseason wrote: Thanks for your tips, that really comforts me a lot. But guess it will be a challenge for me to refill the toner at home...

By doing the research I found this store online, www.123inkcartridges.ca, the products they offer seem like quite affordable. Not sure if using their compatible cartridge will damage the printer, or it's better for me to follow you advice and refill toner by myself?
I didn't mean to imply that you should refill it yourself. There should be services available that'll do it for you, or stores where you can purchase generic toners. Do a search for "laser toner refill" in the Computer & Electronics forum. I'm sure there are some threads that'll provide more info.
Deal Addict
User avatar
Mar 7, 2006
1681 posts
154 upvotes
Toronto
iceseason wrote: That's an amazing deal!! A lazer printer for $40 and a replacement toner for $30, I wonder if I could be that lucky cat. Did you catch the deal on rfds? Any stores for printers & cartridges you would recommend?
I got my toner here.

http://www.123inkcartridges.ca/

They had a sale code and my toner replacement came to $30 shipped. Even without the sale code, their prices are quite reasonable.

Top