Food & Drink

Do you leave butter refrigerated or outside? And why?

• Last Updated:
  • Sep 27th, 2016 10:43 pm
Tags:
None
Deal Fanatic
Sep 12, 2007
6098 posts
800 upvotes
Greely
Beachdown wrote:
Jan 23rd, 2016 12:11 pm
My mother has one, she paid maybe $10 for it in the U.S.

I leave my butter on the counter in a butter dish. Not the whole pound but cut it into quarters. Never had a problem with it going bad or getting moldy.
Same. Quarters, in a butter dish. Never had a problem, been doing it forever.
Deal Guru
Mar 9, 2007
11821 posts
6716 upvotes
Think of the Childre…
How about these individual single portion butter you see at most restaurants that serves breakfast? I see them out on the table all the time.

WOULD SOMEBODY THINK OF THE CHILDREN!!!
Deal Expert
Aug 22, 2006
25749 posts
11102 upvotes
Cheapo-Findo wrote:
Jan 24th, 2016 3:59 pm
How about these individual single portion butter you see at most restaurants that serves breakfast? I see them out on the table all the time.
Those are (mostly) sealed so they're fine.
It's the same reason a butter bell works. Seals out the oxygen so it doesn't go fuzzy.

I wish someone would make those disposable ones in a larger size. Like 4x as big so one could always have fresh butter on hand.
Deal Expert
Aug 18, 2005
18829 posts
3483 upvotes
GTA West
I buy butter that comes in those rectangular sticks. I usually leave only 1 stick in the fridge, and the rest go in the freezer. I take more out of the freezer as necessary.
Deal Fanatic
Jun 29, 2010
8889 posts
3238 upvotes
Toronto
unrefrigerated butter lasts a lot longer if you ensure there's no cross contamination. keep it in a clean container and always use a clean knife/ utensil when cutting off a piece.

a good way to get hard butter to soften quickly is to grate it.
Good, better, best. Never let it rest. 'Til your good is better and your better is best.
Deal Expert
Aug 22, 2006
25749 posts
11102 upvotes
ShoNuff2 wrote:
Jan 24th, 2016 4:35 pm
unrefrigerated butter lasts a lot longer if you ensure there's no cross contamination. keep it in a clean container and always use a clean knife/ utensil when cutting off a piece.
Even then it only lasts like a week. Not bad if you use a ton of butter.
I have noticed that salted lasts longer than unsalted especially when I make my own salted.
Jucius Maximus wrote:
Jan 24th, 2016 4:13 pm
I buy butter that comes in those rectangular sticks. I usually leave only 1 stick in the fridge, and the rest go in the freezer. I take more out of the freezer as necessary.
While we do have it here, I hate the fact that it's 2x the price of 1lb blocks.
In the US all butter is sold in stick form. I wish Canada would do that.
Deal Fanatic
Jun 29, 2010
8889 posts
3238 upvotes
Toronto
death_hawk wrote:
Jan 24th, 2016 4:42 pm
I have noticed that salted lasts longer than unsalted especially when I make my own salted.
yeah, salt would act as a preservative.
Good, better, best. Never let it rest. 'Til your good is better and your better is best.
Aug 17, 2008
999 posts
409 upvotes
In Europe, the common practice is to leave butter in a covered butter dish outside the refrigerator.

Here's an article "Stop refrigeating your butter" http://gizmodo.com/stop-refrigerating-y ... 1624023431

Most sensible solution is to keep the portion you will use soon (within a couple of weeks) in a covered butter dish outside the fridge, and the rest in the fridge.

There are also "butter crocks" or "french butter dish" that use water to create an airtight seal, so that butter left outside the fridge will ast a LOT longer with no concerns.
Deal Fanatic
Jul 10, 2003
7205 posts
1892 upvotes
I keep it refrigerated and when I need it for toast every morning, I put a small piece in the microwave for 15 seconds to soften it.
Jan 21, 2013
292 posts
38 upvotes
i buy in bulk & freeze....i take out half at a time & leave on counter...its never gone bad. tend to put it in fridge during hot months.
Deal Fanatic
Dec 3, 2009
5554 posts
917 upvotes
Toronto
Fridge for a couple reasons...

I only use a few tbsps a week with 2 of us. If I need to measure in cups it's easy to cut a perfect square when it's fridge hard. The last reason is I'm in a condo now so counter space is higher real estate than fridge space....and I have a lot of counter space for a condo.
Remember to be an RFD-er and NOT a degenerate.
Temp. Banned
Mar 29, 2015
1975 posts
151 upvotes
Wood Bridge
I leave a small amount out in one of those butter dishes on the counter.

have you guys noticed they make the butter dishes purposely smaller than the butter sticks so when you open a stick of butter it will never fit in the dish you have to squish it which makes a mess, or cut it in half. I usually cut it in half and put the unused portion in the fridge with the wrapper.
Thanks
Banned
May 12, 2004
9759 posts
4103 upvotes
Ottawa
multimut wrote:
Jan 24th, 2016 5:20 pm
In Europe, the common practice is to leave butter in a covered butter dish outside the refrigerator.

Here's an article "Stop refrigeating your butter" http://gizmodo.com/stop-refrigerating-y ... 1624023431

Most sensible solution is to keep the portion you will use soon (within a couple of weeks) in a covered butter dish outside the fridge, and the rest in the fridge.

There are also "butter crocks" or "french butter dish" that use water to create an airtight seal, so that butter left outside the fridge will ast a LOT longer with no concerns.
In Europe the butter is not pasteurized (raw cream butter) so that point is moot. Same with milk, in Europe it's left on the counter not refrigerated. Well the couple of countries I've been to anyways...

I was a counter guy but this was a game changer for me:
http://lifehacker.com/soften-butter-to- ... 1413834257

Cut the amount of butter you want to use and put it on a plate. Grab a glass and fill it with hot water. Let it rest for a minute or till the glass outside is warm. In quick succession, tip the water out of the glass, dry it and invert it over the chunk of butter. In a minute or so, you’ll have beautifully soft butter. Check out the video above to see it in action.
Censorship is telling a man he can't have a steak just because a baby can't chew it.
- Mark Twain