Food & Drink

Do you leave butter refrigerated or outside? And why?

• Last Updated:
  • Sep 27th, 2016 10:43 pm
Tags:
None
Deal Expert
Aug 22, 2006
25848 posts
11235 upvotes
I've been whipping butter lately.
If you salt your whipped butter (I don't buy salted because the salt they use tastes funny) it keeps quite a bit longer.

Whip a pound, portion out 1/4lb (or whatever you can reasonably use in 4-5 days and keep the other portions in the fridge.
Pull what you need the day before you run out and now you have perfectly soft butter.

gr8dlr wrote:Make your own spreadable butter,that way you can leave it in the fridge.

Search for it on YouTube.

Is just oil butter and salt (if you're using unsalted butter).
Oh deity, why oil?
Even olive oil would be weird.
Anything else would be weirder.

This would be one example of many of why I hate Youtube.
(People giving terrible advice)
Becks wrote:
Jan 29th, 2016 8:41 pm
Margarine is easier to spread, tastes good, and is cheaper than butter.
I dispute 2/3 of these points, especially if you whip it.
Deal Fanatic
May 2, 2009
6752 posts
1400 upvotes
The butter mills are on clearance at HomeSense, stainless steel $23.99 and plastic $15.00. Bought plastic, will review.

I was getting tired of pitching butter that had gone moldy on my counter, we don't really use it quickly.
Deal Fanatic
Sep 1, 2005
8249 posts
3435 upvotes
Markham
bonterra wrote:
Sep 20th, 2016 11:25 pm
The butter mills are on clearance at HomeSense, stainless steel $23.99 and plastic $15.00. Bought plastic, will review.

I was getting tired of pitching butter that had gone moldy on my counter, we don't really use it quickly.
What is a "butter mill"...is that the same as a butter bell?

I make my own "spreadable butter" with canola, salt and butter and store it in the fridge...still easily spreadable right from the fridge.
We're all bozos on the bus until we find a way to express ourselves...

Failure is always an option...just not the preferred one!
Deal Fanatic
Dec 28, 2007
6318 posts
2753 upvotes
Alberta
We leave out about a 1/4 lb in a butter dish which usually lasts about a week. If kept in the fridge, it's almost impossible to spread even on toast. The rest goes into the fridge. Never had a problem.
Deal Fanatic
May 2, 2009
6752 posts
1400 upvotes
gr8dlr wrote:
Sep 21st, 2016 10:50 am
bonterra wrote:
Sep 20th, 2016 11:25 pm

What is a "butter mill"...is that the same as a butter bell?

I make my own "spreadable butter" with canola, salt and butter and store it in the fridge...still easily spreadable right from the fridge.
It's like a pepper mill but it grinds cold butter so it's spreadable out of the fridge.
Deal Addict
Nov 21, 2009
2310 posts
844 upvotes
I stock up on butter at $2.89 - $2.99 (neilson, gay lea, natrel) and put it all in the freezer.

I bring one brick out at a time in the fridge and cut it in half. Half goes in an air tight jar, and the other half stays in the fridge until the jar runs out.

Once the one in the fridge is out, grab another from the freezer, leave it in the fridge until I'm ready to split that one.

Half a bar of butter lasts about a week.
Deal Addict
Dec 6, 2008
2051 posts
422 upvotes
Milton, Ontario
Butter Bell on the counter, rest in the fridge.
Reload Butter Bell whenever running low, can't complain so far.