Careers

do you look at glassdoor reviews before deciding to work there?

• Last Updated:
  • Feb 25th, 2017 9:14 pm
[OP]
Temp. Banned
Nov 23, 2016
127 posts
34 upvotes

do you look at glassdoor reviews before deciding to work there?

if a company has a lot of negative reviews on glassdoor, should you still take the job?
18 replies
Deal Expert
May 22, 2005
20106 posts
5538 upvotes
Good Morning
It didn't directly impact my decision, but it allowed me to prepare.
Jan 14, 2010
666 posts
207 upvotes
Central Ontario
I'm curious about the validity of the reviews sometimes. Like TripAdvisor, Glassdoor sometimes has suspiciously timely or uber-positive reviews (especially when I know the culture of a company does not support the Pollyanna-views expressed.
I like the interview guides/sample questions more. Those are sometimes helpful in preparing.
Jan 13, 2017
113 posts
33 upvotes
mypepsi wrote: if a company has a lot of negative reviews on glassdoor, should you still take the job?
If there are a lot of bad reviews then I wouldn't accept the job offer unless I really need a job.
Deal Addict
Sep 4, 2007
1437 posts
1197 upvotes
Edmonton
I most definitely look at the score. Reading through the review gives you a good view in how easy it is to move up, what the management style is like, and how good/bad your life will be there. And if it doesn't look good, then I avoid the company.

Any company with like 30+ negative reviews and overall score below 2/5 is a huge red flag. But you can't just look at the overall score. I mean it's helpful, but you have to read a little deeper. Look for what people are complaining about. Are all the complaints coming from one kind of staff (e.g., admin, salesman, etc) or one particular team? If your job has nothing to do with those guys, then you might be in the clear.
Deal Expert
Aug 18, 2005
20136 posts
4676 upvotes
Burlington-Hamilton
frozenmelon wrote: I most definitely look at the score. Reading through the review gives you a good view in how easy it is to move up, what the management style is like, and how good/bad your life will be there. And if it doesn't look good, then I avoid the company.
+1, I definitely look at Glassdoor. You can't take everything at face value, but if you see the same negative comment over and over, it's a concerning trend.

I monitor the Glassdoor for my own employer and the negative comments are surprisingly accurate. The positive reviews written by the company's own HR are painfully obvious.
- casual gastronomist -
Deal Addict
Oct 18, 2014
1967 posts
858 upvotes
HK
I never look at the reviews but I look at the salary ranges, to ensure my expectations is within the range.
Deal Fanatic
Nov 6, 2010
9338 posts
1368 upvotes
Montreal, QC
I look at it, but definitely take it with a grain of salt. Larger organizations for example will almost always have lower ratings simply because past a certain size it becomes difficult to manage "quality control" for work environments so some teams might be amazing and some teams might be poor. Or if you think of companies with very varied job types (ex: something that has retail and corporate), the reviews for one job type might overshadow the other etc.

It's a decent starting point though and more information is always good in my opinion, it's just managing and filtering the information which is key.
Jun 21, 2016
99 posts
19 upvotes
Montreal area!
I always look. I go to the interview anyway, but I'll pay special attention to mood and atmosphere.

I always write for glassdoor when I leave an employer, so I always check it.
Deal Expert
Oct 6, 2005
16599 posts
2315 upvotes
mypepsi wrote: if a company has a lot of negative reviews on glassdoor, should you still take the job?
Definitely makes me do a double take... and question whether it is worth it or not.
Deal Addict
Jul 19, 2012
1916 posts
305 upvotes
Canada
yes, it's a huge deciding factor and they are usually bang- on!!
Deal Guru
Oct 3, 2006
10378 posts
740 upvotes
Toronto
I look at Glassdoor reviews before I apply and to help me prepare for the interviews. I also use it to scout out the salary ranges.
Deal Addict
Sep 19, 2005
3043 posts
2067 upvotes
Canadia
My girlfriend worked for the Canadian office of a US-based company, and they had huge internal issues. She went from enjoying work to dreading it, eventually getting laid off.

We read through the glassdoor reviews afterwards, and there were multiple current and former employees who echoed her experiences (and worse). Had she read those reviews before accepting the position, I suspect she would not have taken the job.

If there are only one or two negative reviews, take them with a grain of salt. If there are dozens, I would be extremely concerned.
Deal Expert
Jan 27, 2006
16858 posts
9631 upvotes
Vancouver, BC
I'll read the glassdoor reviews and then use any common themes in those reviews (negative and positive) as a basis for questions during the interview process.

For example - if the reviews state that employees are expected to work overtime but not file for it, I would ask a question around overtime policies just to see what their reaction would be.
Deal Fanatic
Apr 23, 2007
5011 posts
1137 upvotes
London
I take them with a grain of salt unless I see the same consistent complaints from multiple people. There was one company I avoided because the complaints were very similar in nature. Combine that with the fact that it seemed like this company was constantly reposting the same jobs every several months indicating bad turnover, I could tell it was probably a bad environment/culture.

Also people are more likely to post negative reviews than they are to post positive ones so it's hard to tell whether that sample is representative of the entire company.

I also find that if it's a retail company or a company with multiple branches, you're going to see a huge mix of reviews from multiple locations or retail positions mixed with office positions so you can't assume the experience will be the same at the place you're working at.
Deal Addict
Sep 22, 2013
2290 posts
1435 upvotes
I will look at it, but, realistically...it seems to me that only disgruntled former employees post reviews on there.

I don't put much weight on to the negative reviews.
Deal Addict
Jul 19, 2012
1916 posts
305 upvotes
Canada
Never ever trust glass door!
On their site the pay range was 19 an hrs
I go to the interview
The women at hr told me the rate was 12.40 an hours
I was so disappointed and Pouting Face
Deal Addict
Jun 6, 2015
1435 posts
233 upvotes
Companies like TELUS seem to have a lot of positive reviews but if you look closer, lots of (same comment) negative ones. TELUS are huge on marketing, who knows how many are "real"?
Jan 14, 2013
279 posts
273 upvotes
I have used glassdoor recently extensively as part of my job search... I had multiple interviews and job offers, and this further confirmed my final choice. Furthermore, i posted a review on my current employer (which i am leaving after 11 yrs) , and can tell from the reviews that they are accurate, reflective of what the current situation and salaries are.