Cell Phones

Do you need flat screen to use tempered glass ?

• Last Updated:
  • Sep 6th, 2016 2:14 pm
Deal Addict
Dec 6, 2008
2326 posts
685 upvotes
Acton, Ontario

Do you need flat screen to use tempered glass ?

I'm thinking of buying new phone soon, but I need the whole screen to be covered in tempered screen.
My wife's LG G5 has issues with getting tempered screen due to curved screen.
So I'm wondering if it's strictly flat screen phones that can use tempered screen without a problem ?
6 replies
Deal Expert
Dec 12, 2009
29541 posts
20458 upvotes
Glass screen protectors are really brittle. They can't bend. So they can only be applied to a totally flat surface.
Deal Addict
Jul 23, 2012
1025 posts
28 upvotes
Ottawa
It's not a technological problem but rather a manufacturing cost issue. You don't see a curved tempered glass on a phone because it would make the phone too expensive. I believe that you start off with a block of tempered glass that you have to cut to shape. It cannot be moulded.
Deal Guru
Dec 10, 2004
13194 posts
7650 upvotes
Kanata
Most screens now have the 2.5D tapered edge, so it's getting difficult to find perfect edge-to-edge tempered glass protectors that will install without any "halo" effect. You can still get tempered protectors but most will stop short of being full glass coverage.
Aug 4, 2012
328 posts
262 upvotes
Cambridge
If you need tempered glass, don't get a curved screen. Even the curved protectors for some phones aren't a perfect fit (like the OP3's official curved protector).
Deal Addict
May 10, 2011
1482 posts
540 upvotes
Ottawa
Yes usually if the screen is curved they will make the screen protector smaller to only cover the flat portion.

BTW it is not just screen protector made from tempered glass, even plastic ones have the same problem.
Deal Addict
Dec 6, 2008
2326 posts
685 upvotes
Acton, Ontario
I do construction and always use tempered glass on my phones, best thing ever, smooth to touch, protects screen, and takes a lot to scrach or chip it.
Just run into a problem with wifes G5. But she dont need it that much.
I guess ill never buy a curved glass phone :)

Thread Information

There is currently 1 user viewing this thread. (0 members and 1 guest)