Home & Garden

Do you need to lubricate Garage Door tracks or just clean them down?

• Last Updated:
  • May 29th, 2021 10:17 am
[OP]
Deal Expert
Dec 23, 2003
15535 posts
3844 upvotes
Toronto

Do you need to lubricate Garage Door tracks or just clean them down?

I tend to lubricate my garage door in the spring and fall using garage door lubricant but never lubricate the tracks. What I do is use brake cleaner on a rag to clean the tracks down to remove any buildup and that makes them look shiny.

I have read conflicting info that some people lube the track while others don't. I just figured that lubricating the tracks would attract more dirt which in turn comes on the rollers.

Thoughts?
Car Batteries - FAQ, General Information, Tips & Tricks

Car Buying Tips & Tricks

My Cell Phone Providers: Koodo Mobile and Zoomer Wireless
9 replies
Deal Fanatic
Oct 16, 2008
8426 posts
3005 upvotes
Maple
I lub the tracks and door hinges in the fall every 2 year with Jig-a-Loo.
Deal Addict
Oct 14, 2010
1460 posts
896 upvotes
Barrie ON
I agree with you completely.

The rollers do not slide in the tracks, they revolve on their own axels. Therefore the tracks do not require lubrication. I usually just wipe them down with a rag, but using brake cleaner is a great idea.

I use silicone spray on the hinges and weather stripping, and a very light oil on the torsion spring to prevent rusting and eliminate any squeaks caused by adjacent coils rubbing against each other.
[OP]
Deal Expert
Dec 23, 2003
15535 posts
3844 upvotes
Toronto
Rick007 wrote: I agree with you completely.

The rollers do not slide in the tracks, they revolve on their own axels. Therefore the tracks do not require lubrication. I usually just wipe them down with a rag, but using brake cleaner is a great idea.

I use silicone spray on the hinges and weather stripping, and a very light oil on the torsion spring to prevent rusting and eliminate any squeaks caused by adjacent coils rubbing against each other.
Thanks. That is exactly what I do.

Car Buying Tips & Tricks

Deal Expert
Aug 2, 2001
17013 posts
7349 upvotes
Tracks are supposed to be cleaned - grease and such on them will cause dirt to collect.

For the rollers you need to lubricate the bearings if they are not sealed. I'm not sure how many people are using rollers without sealed bearing but it was a thing decades ago before nylon rollers became popular.
Deal Fanatic
Oct 13, 2008
5092 posts
1998 upvotes
Jig-A-Loo or WD40 all the wheels, hinges, and tracks. Annually before heading to the winter.
16'x11' Living Room 11' Cathedral Ceiling. Hisense 65Q8G. Denon AVR-S740H 7.2 setup. Jamo Classic 10 280W Towers - FR+FL; Polk S35 - Center; Klipsch R51M - RR+RL; Klipsch R14M - Dolby FHR+FHL; Polk HTS10 Subwoofer x2. Unlocked Android Boxes from Taiwan x2
Deal Fanatic
Apr 11, 2006
9759 posts
3731 upvotes
Mississauga
When we moved into our house in the fall (3 years old) the garage door was squeaking badly from the track. We lubed the track and the squeak was gone.
[OP]
Deal Expert
Dec 23, 2003
15535 posts
3844 upvotes
Toronto
kenchau wrote: When we moved into our house in the fall (3 years old) the garage door was squeaking badly from the track. We lubed the track and the squeak was gone.
Did you use brake cleaner to clean it first or just lubed it?

Car Buying Tips & Tricks

Deal Addict
Dec 23, 2015
2156 posts
1428 upvotes
Newmarket, ON
I never lube the tracks, or even use brake cleaner on them. Just wipe them down with a damp rag. That's still more than 95% of homeowners do. For the parts I do lube, I use white lithium grease (cheap at canadian tire).

Here's a video with some explanation:

Deal Fanatic
Apr 11, 2006
9759 posts
3731 upvotes
Mississauga
hightech wrote: Did you use brake cleaner to clean it first or just lubed it?
Sorry, I don't know why I said track. I was referring to the centre trolley rail. That's what was causing the noise.

But we did lubricate the side tracks as well because ours are steel wheels. Didn't use brake cleaner though as it wasn't dirty. Just a casual wipe in some spots.