Home & Garden

Do you need to lubricate Garage Door tracks or just clean them down?

  • Last Updated:
  • May 29th, 2021 10:17 am
[OP]
Deal Expert
User avatar
Dec 23, 2003
16642 posts
5213 upvotes
Toronto

Do you need to lubricate Garage Door tracks or just clean them down?

I tend to lubricate my garage door in the spring and fall using garage door lubricant but never lubricate the tracks. What I do is use brake cleaner on a rag to clean the tracks down to remove any buildup and that makes them look shiny.

I have read conflicting info that some people lube the track while others don't. I just figured that lubricating the tracks would attract more dirt which in turn comes on the rollers.

Thoughts?
9 replies
Deal Fanatic
User avatar
Oct 16, 2008
9986 posts
4273 upvotes
Vaughan
I lub the tracks and door hinges in the fall every 2 year with Jig-a-Loo.
...
Deal Addict
User avatar
Oct 14, 2010
1702 posts
1174 upvotes
Barrie ON
I agree with you completely.

The rollers do not slide in the tracks, they revolve on their own axels. Therefore the tracks do not require lubrication. I usually just wipe them down with a rag, but using brake cleaner is a great idea.

I use silicone spray on the hinges and weather stripping, and a very light oil on the torsion spring to prevent rusting and eliminate any squeaks caused by adjacent coils rubbing against each other.
[OP]
Deal Expert
User avatar
Dec 23, 2003
16642 posts
5213 upvotes
Toronto
Rick007 wrote: I agree with you completely.

The rollers do not slide in the tracks, they revolve on their own axels. Therefore the tracks do not require lubrication. I usually just wipe them down with a rag, but using brake cleaner is a great idea.

I use silicone spray on the hinges and weather stripping, and a very light oil on the torsion spring to prevent rusting and eliminate any squeaks caused by adjacent coils rubbing against each other.
Thanks. That is exactly what I do.
Deal Expert
Aug 2, 2001
18012 posts
9001 upvotes
Tracks are supposed to be cleaned - grease and such on them will cause dirt to collect.

For the rollers you need to lubricate the bearings if they are not sealed. I'm not sure how many people are using rollers without sealed bearing but it was a thing decades ago before nylon rollers became popular.
Deal Fanatic
User avatar
Oct 13, 2008
6264 posts
2902 upvotes
Durham
Jig-A-Loo or WD40 all the wheels, hinges, and tracks. Annually before heading to the winter.
16'x11' Living Room 11' Cathedral Ceiling. Hisense 65Q8G. Denon AVR-S740H 7.2 setup. Jamo Classic 10 280W Towers - FR+FL; Polk S35 - Center; Klipsch R51M - RR+RL; Klipsch R14M - Dolby FHR+FHL; Polk HTS10 Subwoofer x2. Unlocked Android Boxes from Taiwan x2
Deal Guru
Apr 11, 2006
11158 posts
5542 upvotes
Vaughan
When we moved into our house in the fall (3 years old) the garage door was squeaking badly from the track. We lubed the track and the squeak was gone.
[OP]
Deal Expert
User avatar
Dec 23, 2003
16642 posts
5213 upvotes
Toronto
kenchau wrote: When we moved into our house in the fall (3 years old) the garage door was squeaking badly from the track. We lubed the track and the squeak was gone.
Did you use brake cleaner to clean it first or just lubed it?
Deal Addict
User avatar
Dec 23, 2015
2395 posts
1761 upvotes
Newmarket, ON
I never lube the tracks, or even use brake cleaner on them. Just wipe them down with a damp rag. That's still more than 95% of homeowners do. For the parts I do lube, I use white lithium grease (cheap at canadian tire).

Here's a video with some explanation:

Deal Guru
Apr 11, 2006
11158 posts
5542 upvotes
Vaughan
hightech wrote: Did you use brake cleaner to clean it first or just lubed it?
Sorry, I don't know why I said track. I was referring to the centre trolley rail. That's what was causing the noise.

But we did lubricate the side tracks as well because ours are steel wheels. Didn't use brake cleaner though as it wasn't dirty. Just a casual wipe in some spots.

Top

Thread Information

There is currently 1 user viewing this thread. (0 members and 1 guest)