Boxing Day Discussion Archive

Do You Remember When There Were Decent Deals?

• Last Updated:
  • Dec 28th, 2016 7:07 am
Tags:
Dec 25, 2016
9 posts
4 upvotes
Toronto (downtown)
That's all folks! It's official! Boxing day is dead! Long live Black Friday! Long live Americanization! Welcome, Canada, the 51st state of the Union!!!!!

6700k is $50 more on BD than on BF! And it is going to be obsolete in less than a month! Rest my case!
-----------------
AlienWare user.... BeWare of the Alien....
Nov 24, 2012
143 posts
45 upvotes
NORTH VANCOUVER
gbg2000 wrote: That's all folks! It's official! Boxing day is dead! Long live Black Friday! Long live Americanization! Welcome, Canada, the 51st state of the Union!!!!!

6700k is $50 more on BD than on BF! And it is going to be obsolete in less than a month! Rest my case!
Uh, CPU's don't go on heavy sales, if ever. Maybe if you have a login to one of the retailer sales on the Hot Deals page.
Jan 26, 2011
221 posts
84 upvotes
gta
JIB9022 wrote: It seems like most retailers put up 180% of original price and put 70% sale; lol

I see no deals at all nowadays
The answer is not much. Sales result from excess inventory. This doesn't happen much anymore because computers and computer models allow businesses to work with low inventory. Now sales are just marketing schemes. Read "Priceless: The Myth of Fair Value" to learn how business manipulates prices in order to fool buyers into thinking that they are getting a good deal. It's a must read to understand what is going on behind the scenes in the minds of of businesses.
Deal Fanatic
Apr 11, 2012
5865 posts
3138 upvotes
Winnipeg
Short answer is no.
Lucky Mobile | Public Mobile | Simplii | Tangerine | CIBC
Deal Expert
Jul 30, 2007
33237 posts
21168 upvotes
Toronto
I was watching citynews last night where the reporter was at Yorkdale Canada goose store. She was telling people who lined up there that there is no sale at all and wondering why as she interviewed a couple of people.
Deal Expert
Mar 6, 2003
19713 posts
13577 upvotes
Ottawa
It's true.

I spent all of my budget BEFORE Xmas this year, the steady stream of deals (stacked discounts, discounted gift cards, ebates, vendor "cash off" coupons like Gapcash, F&F, prime deals/lightning deals, coupons like wagjag) drained my wallet starting around BF.

So who cares that BD is becoming a non-thing? I don't. I got everything I wanted.

Personally, this is MUCH better, before you had to hope that the things you wanted would go on sale on BD, now you don't have to wait. If you see a decent deal, grab it, chances are, if you see it drop in price later, you can still likely return it or get a price protection. The is WAY better than making a big bet on one day which is boxing day

Secondly, these deals leading up to xmas also allowed me to save on almost every gift I had to give.
Please update your profile to include your city https://forums.redflagdeals.com/ucp.php?i=ucp_profile&mode=profile_info
Jan 26, 2011
221 posts
84 upvotes
gta
JackWhyte wrote: the actual reason there are no more true boxing day deals is that no one keeps physical stock anymore.
Wow! You mean all that stuff you see on the shelves when you go into stores is just an illusion? Who would have known. They must be using some kind of virtual reality projection system or something.
Dec 24, 2011
108 posts
36 upvotes
You guys are smoking the crazy pipe. Costco had a 58" 1080p LG TV for $650, and a bunch of 4K TV's for sub-$1000, there were great laptop deals this year, great cellphones and cellphone plans, $70 TVs, etc. I get that this thread is for people to vent because the specific thing they were looking for didn't go on sale, but jeeze...
Deal Guru
Jul 19, 2012
14763 posts
4912 upvotes
Montreal
robson1 wrote: Wow! You mean all that stuff you see on the shelves when you go into stores is just an illusion? Who would have known. They must be using some kind of virtual reality projection system or something.
this is the kind of answer you get from people who somehow think they're smart and well-informed, but have absolutely no clue how retail supply chains work in 2016... as opposed to 1976. :lol:

that's right virginia, there is no inventory and what you see on the shelf is what you get and there is no "big warehouse" in the back. those 3 keyboards, 1 SSD and 2 Nikon cameras you see on the shelf is ALL the store has. that's what JIT is - but don't worry they'll get more on Thursday.
Jul 25, 2007
492 posts
149 upvotes
tevstevs wrote: You guys are smoking the crazy pipe. Costco had a 58" 1080p LG TV for $650, and a bunch of 4K TV's for sub-$1000, there were great laptop deals this year, great cellphones and cellphone plans, $70 TVs, etc. I get that this thread is for people to vent because the specific thing they were looking for didn't go on sale, but jeeze...
Was that TV 4k and true HDR? Look around the forums..everybody knows that Boxing Day, used to be great..Best Buy was dead this year, that's proof enough.