Computers & Electronics

Do you see benefits of having 32GB of RAM ?

• Last Updated:
  • Aug 14th, 2020 1:36 am
[OP]
Dec 29, 2013
823 posts
492 upvotes
Montr

Do you see benefits of having 32GB of RAM ?

Do you see benefits of having 32GB of RAM ? And in what use case ?
31 replies
Deal Expert
Mar 14, 2009
15158 posts
6174 upvotes
RAM is cheap right now and if I were building a new system I would go with a 2x16gb configuration for a variety of reasons. 16gb is plenty for most people, but if you're doing any type of moderately heavy production work on your PC like Photoshop, graphic design work, or video editing, you will probably benefit from 32gb or even 64gb of RAM.
I am a Zoomer customer.
Deal Guru
Mar 9, 2007
13568 posts
8530 upvotes
Think of the Childre…
32gb is good enough, 64gb is overkill, 16gb is the sweet spot.

WOULD SOMEBODY THINK OF THE CHILDREN!!!
Deal Addict
Apr 5, 2016
4611 posts
3150 upvotes
Calgary/Vancouver
chrome tabs alone uses almost 11-13GBs for me.
Current Fido and Rogers customer.
Ex Koodo customer.
Jun 9, 2012
455 posts
306 upvotes
Vancouver
Unless you run VMs or photoshop or after effects , 16gb is enough.
Last edited by BigBrother0 on Aug 10th, 2020 3:43 am, edited 1 time in total.
Jun 9, 2013
402 posts
329 upvotes
Surrey
16gb wasnt enough for me. i had to upgrade upgrade to 32gb a few days ago. the reason is i always keeps 20+ chrome tabs opened, movies, and online game running in the background. with 16gb, it would reach 100% after a few days and there would be slow down, or either the game or chrome would eventually crash.

since i have upgraded to 32gb, none of crashes happened anymore. right now often my ram is running at 49-55% capacity, which means it was the slowdown/crashing point at 16gb. ram is cheap. $100 for 16gb. its worth it for me
[OP]
Dec 29, 2013
823 posts
492 upvotes
Montr
kjc123 wrote: 16gb wasnt enough for me. i had to upgrade upgrade to 32gb a few days ago. the reason is i always keeps 20+ chrome tabs opened, movies, and online game running in the background. with 16gb, it would reach 100% after a few days and there would be slow down, or either the game or chrome would eventually crash.

since i have upgraded to 32gb, none of crashes happened anymore. right now often my ram is running at 49-55% capacity, which means it was the slowdown/crashing point at 16gb. ram is cheap. $100 for 16gb. its worth it for me
Humm , make me thinking.... the extra 16GB would cost me 70+tax only
Deal Guru
Nov 27, 2005
11758 posts
1472 upvotes
Toronto
bomber17 wrote: chrome tabs alone uses almost 11-13GBs for me.
Then you have too many tabs open.
Deal Guru
Feb 6, 2003
10571 posts
895 upvotes
Vancouver
I typically always have Firefox and Chrome open with ~7 pinned tabs each that I never close and a few apps running in the background. Memory usage starts off at 7GB and gradually balloons to 13-14GB until I restart the browsers or reboot. I'm on my PC for much of the day and RAM is cheap enough to justify having 32GB.
<< Public Mobile, Uber Eats, DoorDash, Tangerine, Coast Capital, STACK user >>
FS: Phanteks Low Profile Cooler | Athlon X2 265
MY HEATWARE
Deal Fanatic
May 11, 2009
5330 posts
1985 upvotes
Debtario
16GB is the sweet spot these days, but I'd recommend getting as much as you can afford. It's cheap now, so I'd say go for it.

At the very least you'll be future proofing yourself for a few years, always better to have it and not need it than need it and not have it.

Also, if you plan to OC, it's best to buy all the ram at the same time so you have a consistent set with identical specs. Even on the same model number the revision changes and suppliers change, if you buy more later on you might have trouble if the old vs new sticks don't play well with your overclock settings.
"I possess a device, in my pocket, capable of accessing the entirety of information known to man. I use it to look at pictures of cats and get in arguments with strangers"
Deal Addict
Apr 5, 2016
4611 posts
3150 upvotes
Calgary/Vancouver
board123 wrote: Then you have too many tabs open.
I like to have that many tabs open as I always flip to them when working.
Current Fido and Rogers customer.
Ex Koodo customer.
Deal Expert
Mar 14, 2009
15158 posts
6174 upvotes
Desperadude wrote: Humm , make me thinking.... the extra 16GB would cost me 70+tax only
Going with a 2x16gb configuration frees up 2 of your 4 RAM slots on your motherboard, which will make things run smoother with less potential stability issues. Plus then you'd have those slots open in case you want to upgrade to 64gb down the line.

It's better to not fill all 4 of your RAM slots if you can avoid it.
I am a Zoomer customer.
Deal Expert
Mar 14, 2009
15158 posts
6174 upvotes
Cheapo-Findo wrote: 32gb is good enough, 64gb is overkill, 16gb is the sweet spot.

For certain type of production work, the jump to 32gb is almost meaningless but 64gb makes a huge difference.

If your system runs out of RAM, it relies on your disks, and in the case of an SSD, it's going to put a ton of writes to it that's going to wear it out.

Spending the extra $70 now is preventative maintenance and just so much better in several ways, IMO.

If RAM were expensive now I would offer different advice. But $65-70CAD per 16gb is ridiculously cheap from a historic perspective. RAM could get cheaper, but not by much, IMO, at least not in the near future.

You're quoting gaming benchmarks. There are only a few games that mildly benefit from having more than 16gb of RAM. The benefit to having more RAM is for actually getting work done on your PC.
I am a Zoomer customer.
Deal Expert
Feb 24, 2018
16120 posts
17576 upvotes
I'll put in my 2 cents.

In the top 2% to 5% of power users, the jump from 32GB to 64GB is noticeable, significant, and frankly... necessary.

I'm frequently topping the low 40GBs on my 64GB desktop rig, and have for the past year. As such, I've built my Dell 4500U laptop system with 64GB of RAM, even though it's somewhat less powerful from a CPU perspective (still monstrously powerful).

Put simply, you're either significantly impaired with HDD writes, or just noticeably impaired and straining your SSD, when you run out of proper RAM.

Those of you suggesting 48GB would've been enough when I hit 42GB to 44GB of RAM, Windows 10 dynamically adjusts to the RAM available, and system sacrifices will likely present themselves before the RAM ceiling is hit. I try to keep my max-usage to 70% of my available RAM, that way my SSDs remain untouched.

For most users the 16GB / 32GB decision point is material and 64GB is just point scoring (drop this brag at the club as a deal closer).
Deal Expert
Feb 29, 2008
25159 posts
3093 upvotes
Montreal
64 gigs of RAM? I've got 16 and I can run three VMs concurrently without touching the swap.

Of course, I don't us winbloats by Microsoft.