• May 8th, 2015 8:44 pm
Tags:
None
[OP]
Sep 21, 2007
168 posts
32 upvotes

do you see it as Scam

Please help me understand this. I am out in a market to sell my car. There is one gentleman who has expressed so much interest in buying it, that he is willing to pay my asking price but yet not able to come and inspect the car. He is taking my words for it. Though nothing is absolutely wrong with the car as it's in excellent condition but seems weird to me that someone would spend that much money but don't have time to at least take a look. Here is the excerpt, what he emailed me.

"Thank you for the information, i just wanted to make sure nothing has been left out. I`m comfortable with the information you gave me, I will buy for the price, payment will be sent via PayPal and i will handle the PayPal surcharge as well. My shipping agent (shipper) will come around to inspect and take care of any necessary documentation needed for the purchase on my behalf, funds will clear in your bank account before pickup. In the meantime can you send me more pictures if available?"

do you guys feel, this is scam or some legitimate who has real interest?

Regards
49 replies
Deal Addict
Jul 14, 2009
2523 posts
1825 upvotes
GTA
Never selll a car through Paypal.

Cash is king....
Deal Addict
Jan 7, 2014
2628 posts
515 upvotes
Manitoba
scam, normal people do not write such emails.
Deal Addict
Jan 7, 2014
2628 posts
515 upvotes
Manitoba
Akizuki wrote: Never selll a car through Paypal.

Cash is king....
Or a certified cheque if amount is big and the buyer does not want to carry that much in cash
Deal Addict
May 2, 2010
1646 posts
165 upvotes
Toronto
Obviously he's not looking for a car for himself. It sounds very suspicious, and this is what I don't like about private sales. There's all kinds of tricks people play on you that you really need to be aware of all of them just to make sure you're not getting scammed.
Deal Addict
Jan 7, 2014
2628 posts
515 upvotes
Manitoba
conix67 wrote: Obviously he's not looking for a car for himself. It sounds very suspicious, and this is what I don't like about private sales. There's all kinds of tricks people play on you that you really need to be aware of all of them just to make sure you're not getting scammed.
Why do you need to worry about a private sale if a person comes in , checks the car and pays cash or certified cheque .Dont remember but a few years back there were some issues related to 100 dollar or 50 dollar bills and many places even including casa loma were not accepting those. Can you tell the buyer you don't want 100 dollar bills etc not sure about that
Deal Addict
Dec 9, 2003
4997 posts
837 upvotes
Calgary
Google may help you
[QUOTE]
Be VERY careful selling cars/large items if the buyer is keen to use paypal and states they are working abroad or sending to a friend etc and need a shipping agent to pick it up..

You then get a FAKE paypal email saying you have been paid extra so you can pay the shipping agent for them via western union and the payment is released to you after you have done that.

It is a scam to get that western union payment, they don't want your car and the shipping agent is just a scam to get that payment.

They are nearly always in Nigeria and can't even own a paypal account[/QUOTE]

Do some of these words seem familiar:

[QUOTE]Thanks for getting back to me, I just wanted to make sure nothing is been left out. I will be buying this for the price you have listed it for. Payment will be sent using PayPal and i will handle the PayPal surcharge as well. I will arrange with a shipping company to have this picked up at your location once i have paid as i am out of town at the moment. Am a marine engineer and due to the nature of my work, phone calls is restricted and I can ONLY DEAL VIA PAYPAL,so you can send me your PayPal email account so i can send the money at once and its easy to sign up for one just log on to www.paypal.com, Note: i'll also include the Shipping company's fee to the money am sending you and you will pay them on my behalf, so kindly Get back to me with your PayPal email account so i can proceed with the payment thanks[/QUOTE]
[OP]
Sep 21, 2007
168 posts
32 upvotes
Thank you all for your replies. I thought so too.
Deal Expert
Aug 22, 2011
38220 posts
24397 upvotes
Center of Universe
He's going to send you a cheque for a few grand over and above your asking price and request you to deposit it (while it's pending) to send him the difference back via money order etc...
Deal Addict
Jan 7, 2014
2628 posts
515 upvotes
Manitoba
sandav wrote: E-transfer or walk.

Do the buyers take that option ? Even for deals of a few grands?
Deal Addict
Jan 10, 2004
4651 posts
2228 upvotes
Edmonton
Sometimes I wonder why these scammers even try these things anymore...but then I find these threads and realize that unfortunately way too many people still fall for this crap.
Deal Addict
Jul 6, 2005
4301 posts
1908 upvotes
Toronto
you must be new to the internet....
Deal Addict
Nov 12, 2004
2578 posts
1324 upvotes
Hometown
Asker123 wrote: Or a certified cheque if amount is big and the buyer does not want to carry that much in cash
Certified Cheques aren't nearly as safe as they used to be... I would never accept one for a vehicle without going to the person's bank and having it verified there first. Much too easy for someone to forge a certified or cashiers cheque these days.

Also back in the day I worked for a company that paid the Beer Store with a certified cheque for a delivery that was supposed to be legit, but it bounced, so strange things do happen with them.
Deal Expert
Oct 16, 2001
76501 posts
1579 upvotes
Whats his excuse, overseas, wife dying?

Big time scam, got them all the time when selling cars on kijiji and Auto trader. Emails stopped when I said I don't use PayPal. Which I dont