Careers

Do you send a cover letter with your resume?

• Last Updated:
  • May 29th, 2016 10:49 am
Tags:
[OP]
Deal Addict
Aug 22, 2014
1202 posts
859 upvotes
Toronto, ON

Do you send a cover letter with your resume?

How important are cover letters when applying online?

Do hiring managers really spend time reading a resume AND a cover letter?

Is it worth spending time personalizing each letter to every application or do you just send a generic cover letter with a few searchable keywords?
33 replies
Banned
Jun 8, 2008
3977 posts
1415 upvotes
Toronto
sn00ch wrote: How important are cover letters when applying online?

Do hiring managers really spend time reading a resume AND a cover letter?

Is it worth spending time personalizing each letter to every application or do you just send a generic cover letter with a few searchable keywords?

Very, yes, absolutely yes.
Penalty Box
Jul 11, 2008
4368 posts
1494 upvotes
Away from RFD idiots
yes, write something.

just don't be like 'resume attached'.
Deal Addict
Feb 27, 2013
1847 posts
589 upvotes
Toronto
yes, given they probably receive 100 applicants you would want to stand out.
Deal Addict
Oct 16, 2013
2355 posts
718 upvotes
New Brunswick
Send a cover letter but don't waste time customizing it. They send less about 8 seconds reading. According to Workpolist 1 out of 5 read cover letter.
Deal Addict
Oct 21, 2006
2464 posts
850 upvotes
Every resume.

Also, customize to reflect what they're looking for in the job ad. After applying to 15-20 jobs you should have a fairly decent collection of letters to cut/paste from to build "customized" letters for any future needs, just remember to scrub any information about previous applications from the cover letter. Don't accidentally include a business name from a previous cover letter, etc. Write the cover letter on one day, then wait a pair of days before reviewing it yourself. Have someone else read the finished product in detail, to make sure you didn't make mistakes. Then send the combined cover letter/resume in.
Dec 11, 2013
490 posts
374 upvotes
Toronto
raichu1 wrote: Send a cover letter but don't waste time customizing it. They send less about 8 seconds reading. According to Workpolist 1 out of 5 read cover letter.
This is very much the wrong attitude. You want to do everything you can to stand out if they do read it.
Deal Addict
Oct 16, 2013
2355 posts
718 upvotes
New Brunswick
JFlash20 wrote: This is very much the wrong attitude. You want to do everything you can to stand out if they do read it.
I did the custom and it got me nowhere. It depends on what works for you.
Jan 31, 2016
744 posts
419 upvotes
Kawartha Lakes
Make sure it is custom for each company, make sure you included how you match the key qualifications very quickly and try and show some personality. When I say persoanlity I don't mean - LOL, hahhahaha, meh, Yo, Dude, i, or yup.

Coverletter is the window to your resume. If they like what they see in about 5 seconds they will investigate you more.
Deal Addict
Jan 2, 2015
2150 posts
1609 upvotes
NOT centre of Univer…
Absolutely every resume, and i customize it.

When hiring, I look for the key highlights, or if there is anything that jumps out at me from the cover. I usually star with the resume part to look for key skills, if they have them, then I quickly read over the cover letter to see how well they have summarized and if they picked out key points.

True not all covers are read, but on times that I wanted to see more and it wasn't there, I put them in the discard pile. When there are hundreds of applications, any little thing can be used against you. It definitely will not hurt to have one, unless it's sloppy or poorly written.
Deal Addict
Nov 8, 2013
1226 posts
229 upvotes
Mecca
Very important, you likely have no chance without one.
Jan 19, 2016
39 posts
6 upvotes
Toronto, ON
raichu1 wrote: Send a cover letter but don't waste time customizing it. They send less about 8 seconds reading. According to Workpolist 1 out of 5 read cover letter.
If you're unemployed, your time isn't likely all that valuable so you might as well use it to customize the letter.
Deal Addict
Feb 18, 2016
1808 posts
527 upvotes
As a follow up to the OP's question, say the CV is sent as an attachment to an email. Is the cover letter essentially the email, or is it a separate attachment?
Deal Addict
Nov 8, 2013
1226 posts
229 upvotes
Mecca
notfromqc wrote: As a follow up to the OP's question, say the CV is sent as an attachment to an email. Is the cover letter essentially the email, or is it a separate attachment?
Good question, I sometimes attach the cover letter as well.
Dec 11, 2013
490 posts
374 upvotes
Toronto
JFlash20 wrote: This is very much the wrong attitude. You want to do everything you can to stand out if they do read it.
So you got a really good job by just sending out form covers?
[OP]
Deal Addict
Aug 22, 2014
1202 posts
859 upvotes
Toronto, ON
billybishop wrote: If you're unemployed, your time isn't likely all that valuable so you might as well use it to customize the letter.
What if you're already employed? Is it still worth the extra effort to customize?

I've seen people land decent jobs with just a generic cover letter or no cover letter at all. Some don't even bother setting up an account with the company's career site. Unless there's an "Easily apply" button it's not worth their time. Somehow they manage to get hired...maybe it's just luck?
Deal Addict
Oct 16, 2013
2355 posts
718 upvotes
New Brunswick
billybishop wrote: If you're unemployed, your time isn't likely all that valuable so you might as well use it to customize the letter.
Your time is important if unemployed. Spending 2-3 hours to do a custom cover for a job means less time applying to position/ networking/ going to events/ upgrading skills. If you are applying to VP position than do a custom.
Dec 16, 2014
893 posts
478 upvotes
Easter Island
depends, if posting specifically asks for cover letter. Otherwise I typically don't bother. About 90% responses ive received for interviews did not involve a cover letter.
Sep 14, 2012
340 posts
108 upvotes
karakoram wrote: depends, if posting specifically asks for cover letter. Otherwise I typically don't bother. About 90% responses ive received for interviews did not involve a cover letter.
Can I ask which profession/industry you work in? That may be a factor.