Food & Drink

Do you still trust restaurants? ***WARNING - pictures may gross some people out***

• Last Updated:
  • Apr 6th, 2019 10:31 am
[OP]
Deal Fanatic
Oct 7, 2007
8482 posts
4413 upvotes

Do you still trust restaurants? ***WARNING - pictures may gross some people out***

I completely lost my appetite after seeing this. However, if you live in Vancouver, it shouldn't surprise you as we have a major infestation throughout the city and it has only been getting worse.

https://www.citynews1130.com/2018/12/28 ... r-shocked/
48 replies
Deal Addict
Jan 16, 2011
4083 posts
3652 upvotes
The NORTH
But, But, Ratatouille....
Deal Fanatic
Jul 29, 2005
8680 posts
2600 upvotes
Mississauga
Yuck! This is one place I'll never visit.!
My food blog - Reggie The Food Critic.
Deal Expert
Aug 18, 2005
20174 posts
4729 upvotes
Burlington-Hamilton
Has anyone actually watched the video?
The soup in question is made off-site at a separate business in Chinatown ...
- casual gastronomist -
Deal Addict
Dec 29, 2012
2164 posts
538 upvotes
In Hiding
Boiled and soaked for a long time in a big vat of "the soup" at the factory. Wonder how many other restaurants have served the soup with "rat essence"? Then again, if quality control at any factory or restaurant finds this, will they just remove it, or throw out the entire batch?

You'd think a restaurant with Chowdury in its name would make its own soup.
Aug 6, 2018
275 posts
269 upvotes
gonna call bs on this. how the hell did the cook not notice a whole rat when he was using the ladle for that tiny bowl of soup? The customers definitely planted this there is no possible way unless the cook did it on purpose.
Deal Expert
Sep 21, 2010
15185 posts
4573 upvotes
Montréal
Was this legit or someone trying to ruin their business?
Hard work, inheritance, interest on interest accumulating, and stock and real estate speculation. It's all good.
Aug 6, 2018
275 posts
269 upvotes
Also notice the dude in the videos complete lack of surprise. would you not be screaming HOLY SHIT WHAT THE ****? the customers are def the culprit here.
Deal Expert
Sep 21, 2010
15185 posts
4573 upvotes
Montréal
oroku1983 wrote: Also notice the dude in the videos complete lack of surprise. would you not be screaming HOLY SHIT WHAT THE ****? the customers are def the culprit here.
Agreed. However, on the flipside, supposedly the soup was outsourced from another place, which was closed down due to rat prbs, so who knows?
Hard work, inheritance, interest on interest accumulating, and stock and real estate speculation. It's all good.
Aug 6, 2018
275 posts
269 upvotes
tranquility922 wrote: Agreed. However, on the flipside, supposedly the soup was outsourced from another place, which was closed down due to rat prbs, so who knows?
yeah and the rat looks like it had been stewing for awhile (could've also been an old dead rat) but still you think that rat tail would've been dangling out of the bowl when it was scooped in.
Deal Expert
Sep 21, 2010
15185 posts
4573 upvotes
Montréal
oroku1983 wrote: yeah and the rat looks like it had been stewing for awhile (could've also been an old dead rat) but still you think that rat tail would've been dangling out of the bowl when it was scooped in.
Yup, I noticed that too, how come the tail was dangling out and not inside the bowl. So many questions.
Deal Expert
Sep 21, 2010
15185 posts
4573 upvotes
Montréal
oroku1983 wrote: http://dailyhive.com/vancouver/mamie-ta ... s-dead-rat
apparently the mamie taylors that was shut down was not actually the location where the soup was prepped. People planting stuff in restaurant food in hopes of winning some kind of lawsuit is nothing new, still leaning towards the customers planting it.
Did I read incorrectly as the first paragraph stated that the soup was prepped @Mamie?
Aug 6, 2018
275 posts
269 upvotes
Oliver explained that commissary kitchen is located in the basement level of the 251 E Georgia Street restaurant, but Mamie Taylor’s does not use it to store or prepare its food.

It was the commissary space leased by Crab Park Chowdery that did not pass Vancouver Coastal Health inspection, but since the space is part of the overall restaurant premises, the space was shut down.
Deal Expert
Sep 21, 2010
15185 posts
4573 upvotes
Montréal
oroku1983 wrote: Oliver explained that commissary kitchen is located in the basement level of the 251 E Georgia Street restaurant, but Mamie Taylor’s does not use it to store or prepare its food.

It was the commissary space leased by Crab Park Chowdery that did not pass Vancouver Coastal Health inspection, but since the space is part of the overall restaurant premises, the space was shut down.
Tx, it was weirdly worded for me, I just read the first paragraph...so in other words, the Chowdery screwed Mamie and got the latter shutdown since the former was actually prepping the soup there?
Aug 6, 2018
275 posts
269 upvotes
yeah i guess they shared the space and the chowdery passed the blame, but keep in mind the place was shut down AFTER they found the rat in the soup and its closure is pending there was no rat incident other than this one incident. the story makes it seem like it was closed down due to a rat infestation before this incident but that is not the case.
Deal Expert
Sep 21, 2010
15185 posts
4573 upvotes
Montréal
TX for clearing that up. I saw that this was not the first time Chowdery got a visit from the health inspectors?
Aug 6, 2018
275 posts
269 upvotes
No it wasn't because every restaurant gets visits from health inspectors it's not unusual. it is the first time time the other restaurant was shut down however.
Deal Addict
Mar 22, 2012
2061 posts
350 upvotes
Toronto
Where they filming beforehand and they just happen to catch the rat?
Deal Expert
Sep 21, 2010
15185 posts
4573 upvotes
Montréal
oroku1983 wrote: No it wasn't because every restaurant gets visits from health inspectors it's not unusual. it is the first time time the other restaurant was shut down however.
Ic, the way they reported it, made it sound like it wasn't the first time the inspectors came for a complaint, not just a reg call.