Food & Drink

Do you still trust restaurants? ***WARNING - pictures may gross some people out***

• Last Updated:
  • Apr 6th, 2019 10:31 am
Dec 31, 2007
158 posts
106 upvotes
Vancouver
oroku1983 wrote: http://dailyhive.com/vancouver/mamie-ta ... s-dead-rat
apparently the mamie taylors that was shut down was not actually the location where the soup was prepped. People planting stuff in restaurant food in hopes of winning some kind of lawsuit is nothing new, still leaning towards the customers planting it.
The news mentioned the folks who found the rodent was offered a gift certificate to the restaurant and accepted.
Deal Addict
Jan 26, 2017
1568 posts
2323 upvotes
Jucius Maximus wrote: Has anyone actually watched the video?
The soup in question is made off-site at a separate business in Chinatown ...
Chinatown?!
Discuss...
Deal Fanatic
Mar 31, 2017
6729 posts
2998 upvotes
I believe the owner 60% would be 90% if they didn't have a rodent issue prior to this incident.
Deal Guru
May 9, 2006
12515 posts
3227 upvotes
notenoughsleep wrote: Their official statement concludes this is fake

So they did their own investigation and concluded it didn't happen.... come on now. What kind of BS response is that? That's as legitimate as my investigation of the sexiest man alive... turns out its me.
Deal Fanatic
Jan 21, 2008
7558 posts
3821 upvotes
joeyjoejoe wrote: So they did their own investigation and concluded it didn't happen.... come on now. What kind of BS response is that? That's as legitimate as my investigation of the sexiest man alive... turns out its me.
Although I agree with you about "their own investigation" being BS, if the authorities didn't shut down the restaurant, I'm inclined to believe them. They often shut down restaurants for much less than this. I'm not too familiar with the case, but that's how I would see it if the authorities didn't shut down the restaurant
Aug 6, 2018
290 posts
280 upvotes
There isn't a building in downtown Vancouver that doesn't have rats in it you're delusional if you think otherwise. the prep kitchen that was shut down was shut down due to this incident it was never shut down in the past. The inspectors i guess found droppings during a routine inspection a few months ago (not in the food prep area) but it was never closed down becasue again with there beings rats everywhere this happens in every building in downtown Vancouver, they were just unlucky and it was discovered when the inspectors were there it was just bad timing; THIS DOES NOT INCREASE THE LIKELIHOOD OF A FULL SIZED RAT ENDING UP IN YOUR SOUP.
Deal Addict
Oct 14, 2007
4945 posts
1385 upvotes
Regina
from the video i knew it was a tall tail
Deal Fanatic
Mar 19, 2006
9884 posts
2305 upvotes
Toronto
Hard to believe that this is legit OR this wasn't planted by an employee? Look at the size of the rat. How can you miss it while ladling the soup into the bread bowl? Like seriously, you must be blind to miss it OR it was purposely planted. The Rat barely fits in the bread bowl..
Deal Expert
Sep 21, 2010
15185 posts
4637 upvotes
Montréal
If the resto has security cams covering the eating area, it should be easy to show if it was planted or not.
Hard work, inheritance, interest on interest accumulating, and stock and real estate speculation. It's all good.
[OP]
Deal Fanatic
Oct 7, 2007
9266 posts
5094 upvotes
The grosser thing to me is that the City has a serious rat problem and it is only getting worse. Instead of being thoroughly disgusted by the magnitude of the city-wide problem, we just accept it like it is "normal". If we accept it as "normal", it becomes the new "normal" and it has. The City is degrading and really needs all of its citizens to start cleaning things up. We have done what we can around our home but everyone needs to do their part. Take away the food sources, keep your properties clean so rats can't build nests, etc. etc. We can drive around in fancy cars and live in fancy houses but if we are over run and infested with rats, it kind of ruins the whole thing.
Deal Addict
May 27, 2004
1105 posts
425 upvotes
choclover wrote: The grosser thing to me is that the City has a serious rat problem and it is only getting worse. Instead of being thoroughly disgusted by the magnitude of the city-wide problem, we just accept it like it is "normal". If we accept it as "normal", it becomes the new "normal" and it has. The City is degrading and really needs all of its citizens to start cleaning things up. We have done what we can around our home but everyone needs to do their part. Take away the food sources, keep your properties clean so rats can't build nests, etc. etc. We can drive around in fancy cars and live in fancy houses but if we are over run and infested with rats, it kind of ruins the whole thing.
Yeah Vancouver seems to have a serious rat problem. Everytime I watch that home renovation show, Love it or List it Vancouver, every other house seems to have a serious rat infestation. Absolutely nasty.
Deal Guru
Aug 20, 2012
13829 posts
3193 upvotes
Pacific Ocean
Mehhh... That's nothing. Just show pics of any chinatown bathroom. *vomit*

As for the rat... something is off. Possibly a rubber rat to get the view count?? Hmm.... imagine if this was a total set-up. I hardly think a rat that size was missed when ladling the soup.
If the glove don't fit you must acquit! #WINNING
Deal Guru
Mar 31, 2008
12852 posts
2954 upvotes
Toronto
aznnorth wrote: Mehhh... That's nothing. Just show pics of any chinatown bathroom. *vomit*

As for the rat... something is off. Possibly a rubber rat to get the view count?? Hmm.... imagine if this was a total set-up. I hardly think a rat that size was missed when ladling the soup.
They have gotten alot better in recent years, but yes, those basement ones.. that smell.. can never forget that smell.
Deal Guru
May 9, 2006
12515 posts
3227 upvotes
Could the rat have come from the bread bowl itself? The way the rat is flatened out, it could have been part of the bread not cut out and when the bread got soaked with soup, it freed the rat.
[OP]
Deal Fanatic
Oct 7, 2007
9266 posts
5094 upvotes
joeyjoejoe wrote: Could the rat have come from the bread bowl itself? The way the rat is flatened out, it could have been part of the bread not cut out and when the bread got soaked with soup, it freed the rat.
Interesting explanation. I am confident that there is a rationale explanation for all of this but we may never know more than what we have been told this far. Personally, I don't think the patrons would have smuggled a rat into the restaurant as there is no real benefit to them for doing so BUT the restaurant owner says with 100% certainty that there is no way that the owner could be responsible. I am curious if people are still okay with eating there or anywhere near there.
Deal Addict
May 13, 2005
2115 posts
1370 upvotes
Toronto
choclover wrote: Interesting explanation. I am confident that there is a rationale explanation for all of this but we may never know more than what we have been told this far. Personally, I don't think the patrons would have smuggled a rat into the restaurant as there is no real benefit to them for doing so BUT the restaurant owner says with 100% certainty that there is no way that the owner could be responsible. I am curious if people are still okay with eating there or anywhere near there.
There are many benefits for someone to smear a restaurant, whether for financial or personal.

I was part of an internal team for a large chain, and I have seen it all, from someone eating a sandwich with a mouse, to the employee stuffing a sandwich with used toilet paper and the customer not knowing until eating. Majority of them were false claims, to either get attention in the media, to attempt a lawsuit, or to get back at the employee, due to bad service.

I have not seen any cases where an animal was cooked into food. A lot of places have a minor infestation problem, with a mouse here and there. Most places just do a good job of handling it after the fact. I don't know how the hygiene standards are, where this was prepped though.
Deal Guru
Mar 14, 2005
13811 posts
2504 upvotes
I saw a dead wet mouse in a food area (ice cube tray) one time at the start of a shift. Don't worry, that was over 20 yrs ago.
Deal Guru
Mar 14, 2005
13811 posts
2504 upvotes
UPDATE: https://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/british- ... -1.5071271

The seafood chowder prepared in a Vancouver restaurant kitchen was "unfit for human consumption," according to an inspection report prepared after a rat was allegedly found in a customer's bread bowl.

Cockroaches, mouse droppings and other rodent excrement were all visible when Vancouver Coastal Health inspectors visited the commercial commissary kitchen at Mamie Taylor's restaurant on Dec. 28, 2018, according to a report obtained through a Freedom of Information (FOI) request...